Flax Seed and Gallbladder removal

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Flax Seed and Gallbladder removal

Postby Autumn » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:58 pm

I had my gall bladder removed in March 2005. I am intolerant to any oil, nuts soy or seeds because of it. Flax seed also gives me upset stomach. I read that I should avoid fats fully to help prevent cancer that is common with gallbladder removals. I have read the benefits of flax seed and Im wondering if it will benefit me or keep me more at risk for cancer on that side where the bile will be dripping if I ingest it?

I do have dry skin and hair from lack of oils over the last year. I also might be a little deficient since Im still recovering from celiac disease.
Autumn

Postby Gwen » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:44 pm

Boy, I hear ya, Autumn.
Before my gallbladder surgery about 6 mo. ago, I wasn't eating any oils either. My skin, hair and nails are terrible. I do seem to be able to tolerate oils now and I put a Tbsp on ground flax seed on my oatmeal every morning as well as some other fats during the day.

I think our bodies handle food differently now. I think I'm not absorbing my fat soluable vitamins as well now. Don't know what kind of consequences that will have in the long term.
Gwen
Gwen

Postby Autumn » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:39 pm

Thanks Gwen, it is frustrating. I wish I woud have started Mcdougall and not had it taken out but its been done. I hope this way of eating will keep cancer risk at bay from it. I do notice sorry if tmi* looser bm's that can be urgent after ingesting flax so it leads me to believe I should stay away from it.

I cover my body in oil. Vaseline on my hands at night with beauty gloves on. My feet get covered in it too along with legs covered by my sweats and socks. I use Jojoba oil before I get out of the shower. My hands are really wrinkly now, They look worse than my mother's and she has 30 years on me.
Autumn

Re: Flax Seed and Gallbladder removal

Postby JeffN » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:48 am

Autumn wrote:I had my gall bladder removed in March 2005. I am intolerant to any oil, nuts soy or seeds because of it. Flax seed also gives me upset stomach. I read that I should avoid fats fully to help prevent cancer that is common with gallbladder removals. I have read the benefits of flax seed and Im wondering if it will benefit me or keep me more at risk for cancer on that side where the bile will be dripping if I ingest it?

I do have dry skin and hair from lack of oils over the last year. I also might be a little deficient since Im still recovering from celiac disease.

Hi Autumn,

It seems like you have several issues all going on at the same time and I am sure it is fustrating and difficult.

Flax seeds (and/or Oils) are not a requirement of health. While flaxseed is a rich source of Omega 3s, it is also a concentrated source of fat (as are all nuts and seeds) and if it is difficult to digest for you, then you should avoid it. Fortunately, none of these foods are required.

All healthy foods have fat in them and many of them can supply adequate amount of essential fats if consumed in sufficient quantity. Even green leafy vegetables are a good source of Omega 3s. Oatmeal is 16% fat. Your body also has the ability to make most all the fats it needs (except the essenital fats) from the other foods you eat.

If there is an essential fat issue, than there are other possible solutions but I would not want to recommend a solution with first confirming the problem.

My recommendation would be to try and find and work with a qualified professional (MD, RD and/or both) one on one so they can better help you as it would be important to take a look at all the contributing isssues/problems and also take a closer look at all the related lifestyle and dietary and work closely with you on finding a solution

Unfortunately, that is not possible on a forum like this.

I do wish you the best and if I can help in anyway, let me know.

In Health
Jeff Novick, MS, RD
JeffN

Postby Autumn » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:21 pm

Thanks Jeff, Unfortunately good dr's in that field are short in my area. Im basically on my own. But thank you for the help :)
Autumn

Return to Jeff Novick, RD