Quick oats

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Quick oats

Postby Lola » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:02 am

Hello Jeff,

are quick oats as good as regular rolled oats?
Lola

Re: Quick oats

Postby JeffN » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:08 am

Yes, just skip instant oats

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby faithslanding » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:37 am

Aren't quick oats and instant oats the same thing???
faithslanding

Postby JeffN » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:42 am

No

In health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby scooterpie » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:21 am

Hi Jeff,

I tried to find some evidence that instant oats (with nothing else added) isn't just a more finely ground/processed form of rolled oats. (Everything that is in coarse oats is there--it's just more processed or even pre-cooked.)

Do you have some evidence that it isn't the same, or that it is "good enough" if that is all you have.

Thanks!
scooterpie

Postby rickfm » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:46 pm

I don't get the need for "quick" oats. I just soak regular oats for five or ten minutes, 1 cup oats to about 1.25 cups water, nuke them for 1:20, stir and add a little more water if needed, then nuke another :20.

The taste and texture is just fine. Cooks in the bowl you eat it in, no pot to clean.
~Rick

Mmmm.... cabbage!
Keeping it Simple
rickfm

Postby JeffN » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:56 pm

scooterpie wrote: isn't just a more finely ground/processed form of rolled oats.

Grinding and processing is the problem.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=14063&p=127065

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=9430&p=69966

The only difference between regular oats and quick oats are the oats are usually steamed and/or rolled (flattened) a little more and the oats may also be broken in halves. They are not ground.

However, instant oats are "often" ground.

Why not make the best choice possible?

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby scooterpie » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:19 pm

Thanks for the quick reply Jeff:-) That explains the reason to avoid it--I had not thought of it as being processed nearly to the consistency of flour. Not to mention it loses its flair--texture!

Yes, I've been around the block over the years on various oats (Kroger store brand--old-fashioned is/was adequate) until I ran across Bob's RM Extra Thick (regular or organic). Beats anything except I guess rolling them myself. I haven't ventured there, though I've read at least one person's experience with it here and it's intriguing.

I've sort of abandoned steel-cut/Scottish for the moment in favor of the convenience of the above.

Thanks for the links, explanation and your perspective!
scooterpie

Postby faithslanding » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:17 pm

http://www.bobsredmill.com/blog/wp-cont ... _32_SD.jpg
Okayyy...Sooo these are ok?? Not optimal, but still ok?? Cuz we gots lots of these baggys! :nod: And we've used up all our 'whole grain rolled oats' :drool: We are ordering more cases, but don't wanna waste precious starches ;-)
faithslanding

Postby JeffN » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:20 pm

faithslanding wrote:http://www.bobsredmill.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/GF_QUK_OATS_32_SD.jpg
Okayyy...Sooo these are ok?? Not optimal, but still ok?? Cuz we gots lots of these baggys! :nod: And we've used up all our 'whole grain rolled oats' :drool: We are ordering more cases, but don't wanna waste precious starches ;-)

Quick oats, as shown in the link, are 100% acceptable.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby faithslanding » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:00 am

Thank you, thank you Jeff!!! :D
faithslanding

Postby SweetPea » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:30 am

rickfm wrote:I don't get the need for "quick" oats. I just soak regular oats for five or ten minutes, 1 cup oats to about 1.25 cups water, nuke them for 1:20, stir and add a little more water if needed, then nuke another :20.

The taste and texture is just fine. Cooks in the bowl you eat it in, no pot to clean.
Agreed! They're super easy and fast. I don't even soak mine. :D

My husband is attached to plain "instant oats" packets on his triathlon race mornings. Maybe because they come in little self-contained pouches? I recently told him (with all the excitement of the converted) that I'd be happy to fill a Ziploc baggie with rolled oats, a sprinkle of raisins, and a hint of cinnamon, but he's sticking to his tried-and-true fare. ;-) Oh, well--it beats the sugar-laden ones he used to eat!
~♥~ It's never too late to go after what you want. ~♥~
SweetPea

Return to Jeff Novick, RD