How to become successful McDougaller

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

How to become successful McDougaller

Postby dragana » Sat May 28, 2011 4:55 am

Is there a list on positive personal habits of successful McDougallers?

I am starved for experiences of positive personal habits to learn from them, because I seem to fail short. Will power doesn't work.

These are some good things I am doing that bring me fulfillment on this plan, but are not sufficient because I keep failing to stay on the plan even though I keep these habits religiously:

1. We get up at 5 am (for over 3 years now) every Saturday morning to get
to the vegetable market and buy produce and potatoes. We like food from the market better because it is bigger, greener, redder etc...and it leaves us with feelings of happiness ...

2. I try to keep it simple, starch + veggie or fruit and or beans

3. I keep journal but lately it hasn't been motivating because I have been failing

4. I plan meals in my head or put it on paper

5. I read and watch educational material on low fat diets regularly

What are good McDougall habits that bring you fulfillment and success on this plan? If you don't mind please share them with us, even if they are quirky, sometimes little bit of spice is all you need...:-)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w8vHiYa/]
[/url]

May 12, 2011: 40/34/40
dragana

Re: How to become successful McDougaller

Postby Burgess » Sat May 28, 2011 5:11 am

1. For self-discovery, the most important action is to ask yourself why you choose to go off-plan. Keep pursuing an answer.

2. Remind yourself of why you are choosing to eat this way. How does following this diet fit into your highest lifetime values? To value something means to take action to achieve it.
Burgess Laughlin, Star McDougaller
My books: http://www.reasonversusmysticism.com
My health weblog: http://anti-itisdiet.blogspot.com
Burgess

Postby landog » Sat May 28, 2011 5:27 am

It may help to identify reasons that undermine success.

Note the post in this thread by Donna (aka dlb) that list habits that lead to success.

Be well,
-dog
landog

Postby dragana » Sat May 28, 2011 5:31 am

I am rereading that. But still I am still interested in habits of joy on this plan. Plus I am interested in what keeps you on the plan. According to research in Positive Psychology positive habits and personal satisfaction that comes from it are greater predictor of success than anything else.
[/url]

dragana

Postby Katydid » Sat May 28, 2011 5:37 am

This is not so much a habit as a philosophy. I made up my mind 10 years ago that this is how I eat. Now, forever, until the day I die. End of discussion. In short, this isn't a diet, it's a belief system. For me, It's about health and longevity, not about diet and weight-loss. I don't get discouraged and go 'off plan', because there is no 'plan'. If you go into my kitchen, you find fresh and frozen fruits and vegetables, dried and canned beans, canned tomatoes, potatoes, whole grains and spices. When I get hungry, that's what I eat. If I want a snack, that's what I eat. I think most difficulties come when people try to live in two worlds. McDougall one day, SAD the next. For me, the world of SAD has ceased to exist. For me, there is no 'just a taste'. I don't eat animal products and I don't eat free oils. Period. If someone what's to debate me - fine. My reasons are both moral and scientific and absolutely unshakable.
Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby dragana » Sat May 28, 2011 5:42 am

Burgess wrote:1. For self-discovery, the most important action is to ask yourself why you choose to go off-plan. Keep pursuing an answer.

2. Remind yourself of why you are choosing to eat this way. How does following this diet fit into your highest lifetime values? To value something means to take action to achieve it.

These are both great food for thought. If I focus on discovering this then I can figure out what I am missing. Maybe I go off the plan because my values are confused....or that there is a greater priority at the time....I have to think about it deeper..
[/url]

dragana

Postby landog » Sat May 28, 2011 5:51 am

What helps me is constant reinforcement, and I get it from some amazing, inspiring people.

Yesterday I saw "Forks Over Knives." Over the past several weeks I have attended lectures by Dr. Ornish, Dr. Barnard and Dr. Esselstyn (you can view lectures online). I saw the movie 'Planeat' recently. I read books and watch DVDs by Dr. McDougall, Jeff Novick, Doug Lisle, T. Colin Campbell, Dr. Ornish, Dr. Barnard and an Esselstyn (or two). I support the local Whole Foods programs such as the Engine Two Challenge and the Dr. Barnard 21-Day kickstart.

Be well,
-dog
landog

Postby dragana » Sat May 28, 2011 5:52 am

Katydid wrote:This is not so much a habit as a philosophy. I made up my mind 10 years ago that this is how I eat. Now, forever, until the day I die. End of discussion. In short, this isn't a diet, it's a belief system. For me, It's about health and longevity, not about diet and weight-loss. I don't get discouraged and go 'off plan', because there is no 'plan'. If you go into my kitchen, you find fresh and frozen fruits and vegetables, dried and canned beans, canned tomatoes, potatoes, whole grains and spices. When I get hungry, that's what I eat. If I want a snack, that's what I eat. I think most difficulties come when people try to live in two worlds. McDougall one day, SAD the next. For me, the world of SAD has ceased to exist. For me, there is no 'just a taste'. I don't eat animal products and I don't eat free oils. Period. If someone what's to debate me - fine. My reasons are both moral and scientific and absolutely unshakable.
Kate

This is great. I think this is just it what I am missing right now. I remember few years back when I was a successful on this lifestyle, I had this frame of thinking. I remember going to Christmas party and being very happy with my vegan oil free rice (Even though really it was quite bland and very disappointing for a restaurant of that calibre- yuck!) and comfortable eating fruit while everyone else gorged on treats. I was happy. Having children unfortunately changed it for me. I can't stop them from eating what they want when they are out - but perhaps I could influence them, but I could definitely control what they eat in the house even if that requires several fights with husband. That way we can give our palate a chance...I just feel selfish for insisting on it - it feels I am only doing it for myself at times...
[/url]

dragana

Postby jamietwo » Sat May 28, 2011 7:35 am

I have an all or nothing personality. :)

Years ago when my breastfed baby was diagnosed with a milk allergy, I swore off dairy. 100%. It was about my child. Then I started researching how to get calcium. We ditched all animal products overnight before baby was old enough to eat meat. So initially it started as a healthy way of eating for my child (along with organic, no preservatives, dyes, corn syrups, etc) with me to set the good example. 100%.

Losing gluten was REALLY hard, but we've been there over 6 years, and its worth it to feel good. Again I was led there by my child who was experiencing chronic tummy aches and the doctors couldn't find anything wrong. Going gluten-free "cured" him in about a week. The surprising thing was that I felt better too.

We've found other foods that don't agree with us since then - corn and soy to name a couple. I have no trouble staying off these foods because of health reasons and how I feel if I eat them...but it took me a while to reach that mindset. I didn't eliminate these foods overnight.

The no added oils was really hard for me because I didn't believe (and I didn't have health problems or weight issues). My breast cancer diagnosis made me a believer (although 2.5 years after my surgery, I ate 1/2 of an Amy's burrito and 1/2 can of Amy's chili, both with oil, while out of town last week therefore I can't claim 100%). Although I do believe that on-going stress in my life is probably what caused my cancer and that is one thing I can't control. I CAN control my diet. Being around to raise my child remains a strong motivator.

I know this is getting long, but now we come to my recent elimination of all the arthritis trigger foods as listed on the PCRM website. I avoided them ALL for 4 weeks, plus avoided yams and bananas. I ran out of time to reintroduce all the foods before I went out of town on a 4-day trip. Oh my gosh. The pain was almost ALL gone. Its now ALL back (I figured it was challenging enough to eat away from home without animal products, gluten, soy and corn so I allowed myself to eat the "triggers" on my trip). I thought the pain was just in my fingers, but now I recognize that its in my back too. So now I have to decide which is more important: feeling good or giving up more foods. We always have choices, and even though I made the choice to continue eating the trigger foods in the few days I've been home (I feel like I've been feasting!), I know I have the choice to give them up again and feel better.

To summarize, I believe you have to be 100% for at least 4 weeks to really notice a difference in how you feel and to establish the habit. Then you can choose to feel bad or not. :)
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby StarchBeet » Sat May 28, 2011 9:02 am

katydid, thanks for putting it into words so well!!

I have made the choice of fresh and natural foods because I cannot live well without it. I had my cholesterol creeping up, stomach problems, headaches, joint aches, acute case of diverticulitis, heart burn, and my back is degenerative. I know what I felt like when I followed the McDougall lifestyle in the past. I don't want to play games with myself anymore.

I've said that I flipped a switch when I went to Costa Rica last year. I'm 60 pounds lighter and so many things are better. I am feeling great energy, 80-90 percent less aches and pains, I'm looking better and so why do I choose temptation of the other crap that's not adding to my happiness? I hope to be as strong as katydid from here on out. There is the healthy lifestyle and I love making it my own. Thanks to all of the shared experiences here that help me continue on that path.
StarchBeet

Postby f1jim » Sat May 28, 2011 9:07 am

Excellent points from all the contributors here. So much wisdom in a few short posts! I see so many people with the best of intentions fall by the wayside here on the forums. It is interesting to contrast that with the tremendous success and attitude I have met among the McDougallers I have met personally through many of the McDougall events. Many are members here and their stories are incredible motivational tools. They almost all share some similar traits that are worth reviewing. The are:
1. That "this is for a lifetime" attitude mentioned earlier. They live every minute of every day like following the program is key to their well being and health. They generally don't "treat" themselves with rewards of off plan food. They make their kitchens temples to eating healthy. You won't find junk anywhere in their house. That would go against the grain of their lifetime attitude.
2. They feed on their own success. It sounds a bit self-serving but hearing the compliments of others, as well as living the benefits of healthy eating all contribute to success. If you are not seeing progress in the mirror you are not getting much of the reinforcement to continue.
3. They stick with adherence long enough for the eating plan to become a habit and part of your regular routine. Habits, good or bad, are a learned process and you have to "train" yourself to avoid the garbage that surrounds us daily. Every time you say no to bad food reinforces that behavior. That has to happen regularly to become habitual.
4. They have decided what others think is not going to stop them from their goals. After a time the criticisms and harping at you turn to respect for your tenacity and determination. We all have stories of the attacks that come before that change takes place! It can be a difficult and lonely place while that transition is happening but a place of strength and inner peace when it does.

You can do this..anyone can. It's not rocket science. I followed a well worn path to making this work. Give up your own ideas of what might work and focus on what has worked for many others. There are so many other ideas that all make this work better but that is what speaks to me after watching for 4 years as some people thrive and others wither. Much of this is a mental challenge and all these things help win that battle. We are the only ones that can insure or scuttle our own success.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby kittyadventures » Sat May 28, 2011 4:00 pm

For me what has really kicked it over for me was to do this...
first i considered what my goals were and then I wrote them down
Then I considered what i needed to physically do to achieve those goals And I wrote that down
THen I wrote down what things might get in the way of achieving my goals and what i would do if those things came up.

I think when you know what might get in your way and you have a plan for what to do when that situation comes up... you have a better chance of succeding.

One other thing helped me a lot. When I am thinking of going off plan... I stop and remember how I will feel when I eat whatever I am considering eating.

Someone once told me.. either Burgess or Jim that Planning my food for the day was the best way to succeed.
Those that fail to plan... plan to fail.
Who knew an Apple a day, really would keep the Doctor away!
"Be the change you want to see in the world"--Gandhi.

http://www.kittyadventures.wordpress.com

Days in a row of exercise: 9
kittyadventures

Postby fulenn » Sat May 28, 2011 4:11 pm

I am still developing new habits, but doing that is very helpful to me. When I get into a habit things are easier for me. For example, I always put my keys in exactl the same place because I always know where they are. If I get distracted or busy and put them somewhere else, I can almost guarantee that I will lose them. It seems to be the same with eating. If I plan what I will be eating, have the ingredients in the house, I will do fine. But if I get off schedule, end up busy at work and eat something at a work potluck or whatever, I go off the McDougall plan and can sometimes mess up for weeks on end as I try to get back in good habits. Right now I am posting every day in Roberta's Corner what I am going to eat the next day. It has really made a positive difference. It keeps me planning ahead.

Fulenn
What if love really IS the answer?

Read my journal about tackling Multiple Sclerosis with a plant-based McDougall diet in the journal forum on this site, Fulenn's MS Page.

My blog: http://fulennskitchen.blogspot.com
fulenn

Postby PurplePotato » Sat May 28, 2011 10:51 pm

A big part of my motivation comes from a story about Gandhi. A women came up to him and asked him to tell her daughter to stop eating sugar. Gandhi refused to do it. Three days later, Gandhi came back to see the woman again, and told her daughter to stop eating sugar. The woman was perplexed asked Gandhi why he didn't just say this three days ago. Gandhi replied, "Three days ago I was still eating sugar."

I want to spread the word about this plan to everyone that I know, but if I am not truly following the plan myself, then I know that I cannot expect them to listen. If someone comes up to me and wants to learn more about my eating habits, I want to be able to give them a completely honest answer about what I've eaten that day and have it completely follow the plan. So whenever I am tempted to go off plan, I think of someone I know who I wished would be following this way of eating and imagine that they are watching over my shoulder. If I take a moment to stop and reflect about the consequences of my actions, then I am able to resist any temptations.
PurplePotato

Postby victw » Sun May 29, 2011 8:44 am

dragana wrote:I am rereading that. But still I am still interested in habits of joy on this plan. Plus I am interested in what keeps you on the plan. According to research in Positive Psychology positive habits and personal satisfaction that comes from it are greater predictor of success than anything else.

There are two sides to every coin. Have you considered what the benefits are to continue eating off plan???

Vic
11/1/19 Sloppy - 137.6/21.55
1/1/19 Still maintaining - 134.8/21.11
10/12/18 Maintenance wt - 136.4 BMI 21.36
5/6/18 151.8 lbs 23.8 - Normal. 4/8/18 154.6 lbs BMI 24.2 - Normal. 3/11/18 161 BMI 25.2 Overweight.
3 years staying on plan is the goal.
victw

Next

Return to Jeff Novick, RD