Veggies and oxidation????

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Veggies and oxidation????

Postby boardn10 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:59 pm

Hi Jeff,

I am about to purchase a juicer and am curious your thoughts on oxidation? Some juicers are called slow juicers and claim the slow process, rather than cutting and slicing causes less oxidation and better retention of nutrients and enzymes.

Any truth to this claim?

Thanks!
Rich
boardn10

Re: Veggies and oxidation????

Postby boardn10 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:07 am

bump
boardn10

Postby Gweithgar » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:39 am

Well, if you want the least oxidation and the most nutrients, just eat the fruits and veggies instead of juicing them. Seriously, there isn't much of a fan-base for juicing around this site. The focus is more on consuming WHOLE foods.
Cet animal est tres mechant; quand on l'attaque, il se defend
(This animal is very wicked; if attacked it defends itself)
Gweithgar

Postby boardn10 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:02 pm

I know, I laready eat bushells of raw fruits and veggies, cooked veggies, etc. Two nutritionists I have seen now both recommended for very sick people to juice multiple times a day because there is no other way to rapidly uptake nutrients and enzyme into the blood without having to digest and slow the process with fiber, so I want to do it in addition to my regular diet. She has gotten quite a few people well with juicing.

A good friend of mine has been suffering for four years with an illness with no luck. He started juicing heavily 6 months ago and with 2-3 months he had noticable improvement and now is symptoms free so that means a lot to me. I am getting a slow juicer so we'll see how that goes athough expensive!
boardn10

Postby Gweithgar » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:21 pm

Yeah, that sounds good. I've got an old Braun juicer (a "fast" juicer) and do use it once in awhile. Like you, I mostly eat the whole veg, but there is something about a freshly juiced glass of carrot-apple-beet juice that just feels so good when you drink it. I used to juice a LOT...tons of carrots. I mostly stopped doing that because I felt I was getting too much sugar and not enough other good stuff from the carrots.

I'll be eager to hear how you like your slow juicer. What make/model did you choose? I've priced them online, but for no oftener than I juice, I'll just limp along with the Braun for now.
Cet animal est tres mechant; quand on l'attaque, il se defend
(This animal is very wicked; if attacked it defends itself)
Gweithgar

Postby boardn10 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:27 am

Hi,

It's the Omega Hurom juicer.
boardn10

Return to Jeff Novick, RD