A List of Safe Restaurants

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: A List of Safe Restaurants

Postby ETeSelle » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:27 am

macfarmw wrote:In Houston we have Ghengis Grill. You can pick all you veggies and tofu if you want. They will cook on a vegetarian grill and use no oil if you tell them. They also have brown rice. There are several sauces you can pick but I don't know if they have oil or not. You could skip the sauce and just add the dry seasonings they have.

See my post re: Ghengis Grill back on p. 2 of this thread--I included the website link, where you can look up the nutritional info in the sauces. MANY have no added fat. Most are pretty high in sodium but are otherwise pretty blameless. I have them cook w/ water instead of oil and use the ginger-citrus sauce--YUM! :)
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby ncyg46 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:28 pm

frustrated....went to PFChangs and I had already checked out the nutritional info online. I wasn't that hungry so I figured the 2 vegetarian spring rolls with dipping sauce would fill me up! Well they arrived FRIED! Never in my life have I seen them fried in any form. I even checked with my server to see if I got the right order. And also talked to the lady that seats you and comes over to see how things are. I asked her if she had ever seen them fried at any other other restaurant and she said NO...but they fry them here. Ugh! She offered me another meal, but was too late already and I definitely wasn't hungry.

I ate them anyway and boy did I pay for it an hour later...still had the dang grease taste in my mouth. I should have chose the Buddah's Feast but was not that hungry and we weren't going straight home to bring the other half with us...and in 110 degree weather it wouldn't be any good to leave in the truck. Guess I will pass on that place also..... :(
ncyg46

Postby veggielou » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:36 pm

I also had an experience with fried spring rolls recently. For our 56th anniversary we went to our usual restaurant Surprise FRIED. I have learned a lesson . Always ask.
veggielou

Postby ncyg46 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:12 pm

veggielou wrote:I also had an experience with fried spring rolls recently. For our 56th anniversary we went to our usual restaurant Surprise FRIED. I have learned a lesson . Always ask.

Now I know to ask...I have never had that problem before. I wrote to them and a lady from corporate called me today...said I probably ate at Thai or Vietnamese places and they fry it at their restaurant. I asked them if there are vegan options aside from from Buddha's Delight. They said that they don't get vegans there...and I told her "yeah they don't come there cause there is only one dish on the menu!!!" Got frustrated... :(
ncyg46

Postby junkfoodvegan » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:37 pm

ncyg46 wrote:frustrated....went to PFChangs and I had already checked out the nutritional info online. I wasn't that hungry so I figured the 2 vegetarian spring rolls with dipping sauce would fill me up! Well they arrived FRIED! Never in my life have I seen them fried in any form.

I've only seen Spring Rolls fried. How else would they come?
junkfoodvegan

Postby ncyg46 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:59 pm

rice wrappers soaked and rolled with the ingredients.....not cooked! never had it fried before but I guess it was thai and vietnamese restaurants...or at home!
ncyg46

Postby ETeSelle » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:09 am

Seriously? The only place I've EVER seen spring rolls NOT fried was back when Wild Oats was in town (b/f WF took them over). They made a lovely non-fried spring roll. I've never seen such a thing in a Chinese restaurant, though.

You said you checked the nutritional info online. . . wasn't that a dead giveaway, LOL?

2 spring rolls = 2 servings. In 2 servings there are:

calories 312
    fat 16 gm (!!!)
    sat fat 2 gm
    sodium 542 mg

It couldn't possibly have that much fat and NOT be fried!

http://www.pfchangs.com/menu/NutritionalInfo.aspx
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby f1jim » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:17 am

We are talking apples and oranges. Many places refer to all rolls as spring rolls. Others call just the rolls Nancy refers to as spring rolls. Some refer to spring rolls and summer rolls. i have seen both the fried and non-fried rolls called spring rolls. You have to ask if you are not somewhere you know for sure.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby ncyg46 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:49 am

Next time I will ask more questions. And not go there in the first place!
ncyg46

Postby junkfoodvegan » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:49 pm

After I posted this, I realized I have seen some spring rolls that are served cold and not fried, but this is very rare. I think you are right that they are typically served in Vietnamese restaurants. Usually they would be labeled as being served cold, or something similar. But for the most part, I think it's pretty typical that most Japanese, Chinese and Thai restaurants fry their spring rolls.
junkfoodvegan

Postby Christine in Cali » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:45 pm

I had found them in a Thia restaurant and they were called Fresh Spring Rolls....I got the ingredients to make them from a local Asian super market, but haven't gotten around to doing it yet.
"Nature won't be denied"
Christine in Cali

Postby kittyadventures » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:49 am

Okay a recent trip to Eureka California
Got My Daughter and I to this restaurant

Golden Harvest Cafe.

THey need to make a better website but the food was very good.. and you could order to suit yourself. they had vegan/vegertarian and carnivore. THe food was delicious... the steele cut oats are plain with some fruit to add in and with condiments on the side for you to add what you want.. they have soy milk.

and real fresh squeezed orange juice and real fresh squeezed apple juice.

Golden Harvest Cafe

We also went to Looking Glass House, Creative salads and you can get an oil free baked potato.

they have cheese on lots of stuff so be sure to read the whole description of your salad and ask for your salad sans the cheese... but they also had the most lovely enchilada soup.. which was definately MWL compliant and very delicious. They also had really delicious mashed potatoes I tasted a tiny bit of my daughters but I am pretty sure those had cream or butter in them.

Looking Glass House
THey also had grilled veggies on a stick but I didn't ask for those as I thought they might have lots of oil on them.
Who knew an Apple a day, really would keep the Doctor away!
"Be the change you want to see in the world"--Gandhi.

http://www.kittyadventures.wordpress.com

Days in a row of exercise: 9
kittyadventures

Postby kittyadventures » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:10 am

Okay and one more
La Casona Del Cielo

Located in Laytonville California on the 101 Up in the Redwoods.

Hands down one of the best mexican restaurants I have ever visited.

and they had vegetarian tacos... Loaded literally with steamed vegetables in corn tortillas with home made green salsa and cilantro.

the guacamole was superb. The beans were also vegan and delcious.
the rice was great with very little oil... little enough I couldnt' find any evidence of it.

Every thing was very fresh and the service was superb.

If you are anywhere near the area make the effort to stop here and eat. Delicious.
We actually didn't go looking for it we were starving... had been hoping from tourist attraction to tourist attraction and had some how missed the restaurant we had googled and picked out to eat at. We were driving through Laytonville and saw this mexican restaurant.. i was fully expecting to be eating some fat with my food because well it was a mexican restaurant... boy was I surprised... and completly please.
i will be stoping there again next time I head up that way.
Who knew an Apple a day, really would keep the Doctor away!
"Be the change you want to see in the world"--Gandhi.

http://www.kittyadventures.wordpress.com

Days in a row of exercise: 9
kittyadventures

Postby frozenveg » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:31 am

I had the coolest (ordinary, everyday) experience ever this last Sunday in Anchorage, AK. There is a place there called Johnny Chicago's, which sells Chicago-style hot dogs. If you're from Chicago you know what I mean--Vienna Beef, you can get 'em on practically every street corner. So DH has craved them for the whole 30 years we've lived here. I love 'em too, but I will never have another, obviously. But on Sunday, there we were, in Anchorage, more than an hour from home, and hungry. I said, honey, you can get a dog here, and I'll eat when we get home. And then we notice that the sign on the place said "vegetarian menu." So we checked it out.

Now I'm not saying this option was a specially wonderful McDougall option, but...Johnny has perfected the Special! It's everything but the Vienna dog, with a fresh, raw cucumber instead! So it's totally white bread, of course, but a poppyseed bun, the relish, the mustard, the peppers...it was guilt-free heaven! Thank you, Johnny Chicago's! (It's not a chain--it's just that one guy.)
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby MixedGrains » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:48 pm

I have a couple of American-style buffet places to suggest if you're willing to pay ten bucks for a baked potato and salad. These places aren't perfect but you can eat safely there with a bit of caution.

First is Western Sizzlin' -- a buffet-style place where you can also order a steak (that part is irrelevant to us). They are in 17 states, mostly in the midwest and south. The one I frequent always has the foil-wrapped backed potatoes, on which I cannot detect any oil. They have a Mexican bar also, so you can top it with salsa, dried chives, fresh onions from the salad bar, lemon, et cetera. The salad bar is not exciting but they have vinegar bottles and lemon wedges so you can sort of dress a salad safely if you want. Bean and vegetable options mostly appear to have oil in them. There is usually one or two fresh cut fruits on the salad bar.

Better is Golden Corral, which has close to 500 locations in 42 states. They have baked potatoes and baked sweet potatoes, and they list nutritional info on their website that indicates no added oil. They also have numerous bean and vegetable offerings that taste oil free and show as zero oil on their website. They also have more potential potato toppings -- chopped onions, salso, pico de gallo, and various beans are ones I've tried. They also have more cut fresh fruits on their salad bar. Be cautious, though -- some of the vegetable offerings that you wouldn't expect to have oil in them, do.
MixedGrains

PreviousNext

Return to Jeff Novick, RD