Tammy's Journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Tammy's Journal

Postby Tammy » Fri May 31, 2013 11:33 am

I’m starting this journal to see if journaling is the key to keeping me on track with this lifestyle. While I never post, I’ve been a member for too long and had moderate success; 25 lbs in 2009, 44 lbs in 2011, and 15 lbs earlier this year. Each time I believed I was in the right frame of mind to make this a lifestyle change but then I’d slowly fall away and allow the weight to creep back on. I’ve been on and off this forum long enough to watch some of the Star McDougallers and many others reach their goals. It is time that I find a way to have that success. I’ve read all the books and watched all the videos; I know what I need to do. I’ve been successful in the past for short periods of time but I want to be successful for the long haul. I know this is not a diet but a lifestyle change. I tend to have a perfectionist mentality and that has been a downfall. My plan this time is not to say I will be perfect but that I will take it as it comes each day and plan to eat to nourish my body. When I make a mistake I need to acknowledge it and move on. I don’t know how often I will update the journal but I am hoping this will be one more tool, from the many I already have, to keep me on track.

So here goes. I’m 38, female, and 5’3”. I’ve been back on the McDougall plan for one week today and happy to report that my first week loss is 5.6 lbs. I realize much of this is water weight but it’s still nice to see that drop on the scale. Unfortunately that puts me at 197.2. Right now I am setting my ultimate weight loss goal at 115. Who knows what it will actually be as I get closer to an ideal body weight. Instead of focusing on the 82 lbs to be lost I’m making my first milestone to reach 168. That takes me out of the obese category and into the overweight category. I’m not putting a date to my goal. Instead I will focus on eating right and getting regular exercise. I haven’t had a lipid panel since 2011 (when I went from 235 to 170 in 4 months eating this way) but I am sure I am right back up there or higher. My blood pressure is also higher than desired. Other than that I have no health concerns.
Time will tell if the accountability of journaling helps me be successful.
Last edited by Tammy on Mon May 19, 2014 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Restart Date: December 29, 2014 (~200, too discouraged to weigh)
Current Weight: 126 (as of January 30, 2016)

My Journal
Tammy

Re: Tammy's Journal 2013

Postby eri » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:32 am

Good luck Tammy! I used to live in Atlanta. :-)
eri

Postby Loveskale » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:55 am

Welcome Tammy!
My recipes are posted at: http://www.Flickr.com/Loveskale
Loveskale

Postby Tammy » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:06 am

Thanks for the welcome eri and Loveskale!

My food intake for the last week has been similar to a Mary's Mini. I've had oatmeal with a banana cooked in and strawberries and blackberries on top every morning. I never seem to get tired of this breakfast. For lunch I have some nuked potatoes and raw carrots. I've been eating an early dinner with more potatoes and a big salad. Then depending on how I feel, another potato or two later and another piece of fruit as a snack. What I like most about this WOE is I am never starving. If I'm hungry I eat. I know that is why I keep coming back to McDougall. I may start adding some SNAP meals and burgers but for now I am happy to eat this simply.

For exercise I walk the dog every evening but that is not getting my heart rate pumping so I also started the Couch25k program last week. I'm running on the treadmill in the am and walking the dog in the pm. On the off days from running I have been doing a yoga or aerobic DVD.

One week down, the rest of my life to go :-D

My Journal
Tammy

Postby MangoMama » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:11 am

Hi Tammy! How is the C25K going? Walking and running has been a big boost to me. Good luck!
MangoMama

Postby Tammy » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:10 am

Hi MangoMama! I've completed the first week and ready to do day 1 week 2 tomorrow. I've used this program in the past but I was about 40 lbs lighter so I know this time around will be challenging as the running increases. This is my first time using an app to control the time which is so much easier than trying to keep track of it myself :-D

Food has been good:
Breakfast- Oatmeal with banana and berries, as usual
Lunch-2 potatoes with chili (beans, corn, tomatoes, seasoning) on top
Dinner-Planning for 2 ears of corn and a big salad
Snacks-A piece of fruit and/or potato

Today will be day 10 of eating right!

My Journal
Tammy

Postby JT of PA » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:34 pm

Tammy,

Welcome and Congratulations on starting your journal.

For me, starting a journal really helped and I wish you all the best as you begin yours.

One day at a time and one decision at a time your becoming the person you want to be. :)
JT of PA

Postby Tammy » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:56 pm

Thanks JT.

Today went well. Started off with Week 2 Day 1 of Couch to 5K.

Breakfast- Oatmeal with banana and berries
Lunch- potato, carrots, cherries
Dinner- potato with chili and salad
Snack- kiwi

We went to a friends house for dinner and I brought my food. Everyone else had spaghetti and garlic bread. I happily ate my food :-)

My Journal
Tammy

Postby Tammy » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:05 pm

Another great day so far. Exercised this morning, 45 minutes Turbo Fire workout. Food has all been on target. Will walk the dog this evening once it cools down :-D

Breakfast- oatmeal with banana and berries
Lunch- potatoes, carrots, cherries
Snack- watermelon
Dinner- will be potatoes with chili on top (I swear it multiples overnight in the fridge) and a salad.

My Journal
Tammy

Postby Tammy » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:02 pm

Still going along strong. Week 2 Day 2 of Couch to 5K felt a little easier than day 1.

Lunch- 3 smallish potatoes with barbeque sauce
Dinner- planning to have 2 ears of corn and a large salad
Snack- if needed after dinner will be a nectarine

Usually I eat some carrots before lunch and some fruit before dinner but today I have not felt the need to snack and also had lunch a bit later. We'll see if this is a new thing or a fluke of today.

My Journal
Tammy

Postby Tammy » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:47 pm

Another day on track. Yoga this morning for exercise.

Breakfast- Oatmeal with banana and berries
Lunch- 2 potatoes, cherries
Dinner- 2 potatoes and a big salad
Likely to have a piece of fruit before bed

I'm beginning to sound like a broken record listing my food but it's working for me for now. Tomorrow will be 2 weeks. Already feel like I have lost the cravings feeling. The big challenge is when I am out in a social setting and still make the right choices even if that choice is to eat nothing. That will be the hard part.

My Journal
Tammy

Postby Tammy » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:22 am

Yesterday went well. Exercise was Week 2 Day 3 of C25K.

Lunch- potatoes, carrots, cherries
Dinner- big salad and 3 hummus wraps (hummus, tomato, onion, greens, salsa in small corn tortillas)
Snack- handful of grapes

Today has also been on track. Exercise was Turbo Fire 55EZ workout.

Breakfast- same as above
Lunch- potato with steamed kale
Dinner- will likely be the hummus wraps again and some fruit for snack afterwards

We went to the nursery and bought several hostas and other plants for the side yard.

I'm 2 weeks in and feeling good. I really do enjoy eating this way and always look forward to my big bowl of oatmeal in the morning. We have family coming to visit next weekend and that will be a big test. I will be sure to have safe food made and ready to go.

My Journal
Tammy

Postby Tammy » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:29 am

Well, we ended up at a Mexican Restaurant last night with some friends. I know I consumed oil but I did order corn tortillas with grilled veggies. The had carrots, zucchini, mushrooms, onions, and black beans. They were very good. I plan to recreate them at home, minus the oil. I also had a few chips with guacamole. No alcohol, just water with lemon. It wasn't perfect but overall I am okay with my choice.

My Journal
Tammy

Postby Tammy » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:17 pm

Yesterday went great and good so far today as well.

Exercise for yesterday was a long walk with the pup (okay, she is 9 years old but she'll always be a puppy to me). Food was all good- the usual breakfast, potato and steamed kale for lunch and a quinoa chickpea concoction that was just okay, along with some fruit for snack.

Today's exercise was Week 3 Day 1 of C25K. Oatmeal for breakfast, leftover quinoa stuff for lunch (still have 2 more serving to go through, its not bad enough to throw away but I won't be making it again), and potatoes and salad for dinner. I've had some carrots and grapes for snacks.

I realize my fruit intake is higher than the 2 servings per MWL but I'm not going to restrict myself unless it gets out of hand. I probably have 4 servings (2 for breakfast alone) each day. I only lost 0.2 lbs from Friday's weight but I need to keep in mind that I have lost 9 lbs in 17 days.

My Journal
Tammy

Postby Tammy » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:52 pm

Another 2 days of eating right under my belt.

Exercise for yesterday was a Turbo Fire workout and today was Week 3 Day 2 of C25K.

Food is on track. Finally finished the quinoa chickpea stuff for lunch. I really think I am happier eating potatoes and salad :-)

My Journal
Tammy

Next

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals