FINISHING STRONG

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

FINISHING STRONG

Postby kirstykay » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:12 am

I've decided to start a new journal after all! I was just tired of the old title, and I have a new focus now. Last year for me was about REALLY changing! And I know I have really made permanent, lasting changes in my health and in my attitudes and also in my self esteem and confidence! I did, indeed meet the goal I set out to meet last year. I didn't meet my weight loss goal, but I DID make great progress to that end; and I am ready for the home stretch now, hence the new title to my new journal: FINISHING STRONG! I put it in all caps on purpose, for emphasis, because I AM going to FINISH this year, and I am going to be STRONG in mind, body and spirit...ready to really live the rest of my life from a place of STRENGTH! I have everything I need to do so, including great support from my fellow McDougallers and my loving family(well, my immediate family, anyway :) )

My goal is to be at 135 by June 5th, and to have my blood sugars in the 80-90 range (normal). That's 50 pounds in 20 weeks. That's 2.5 pounds each week...definately doable if I stay focused. If it takes longer, fine, but I'm setting this specific goal in order to stay focused and keep myself motivated. I will accomplish this by sticking to MWL, logging my food everyday, and exercising at least 5x/ week.

Weight: 185.0
Blood Sugar: 113 (new meter reads higher by about 10 points than my old one)

Food Today:
Breakfast: Apple Pie Oatmeal: 1 small apple, 1/2 cup old fashioned oats; 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk, 1 tbs. walnut halves, 1 tsp. brown sugar, 1 tbs. flaxmeal, 1 tbs. cinnamon, 1 dash salt, 1 cup water. Microwaved for 3.5 minutes, and allowed to sit for 5 minutes...YUMMY! This is my new favorite breakfast, and keeps me full all morning long!
Lunch: Butternut Squash soup (need to finish)
Dinner: Veggie Stirfry with brown jasmine rice: bok choy, onion, garlic, mushrooms, broccoli, carrots, green pepper, pineapple chunks, water chestnuts, homemade honey teriyaki sauce.
Snack: Banana

Exercise: Barbell strength class at gym; 60 min. elliptical while watching "biggest loser"
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Re: FINISHING STRONG

Postby kirstykay » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:26 am

Food for Thought:
source: www.dietsurvivors.com
Winter Lesson 2012

The solution to addictions, such as smoking, alcohol, or drugs, is to permanently abstain. However, food is different; we all need to eat. The key to ending overeating is to normalize your relationship with food so that eating for sustenance and satisfaction is primary. The more opportunities you have to make contact with your natural hunger, the faster this will take place. When you eat beyond fullness, it takes a long time to get hungry again. The nature of compulsive eating means that you feel compelled to go to food often, so there is a good chance that you'll be unable to wait that length of time in order to experience physical hunger. But, if you can remind yourself that the sooner you stop eating, the sooner you will get to start again, you are in a stronger position to remember that another eating experience is just around the corner. Nothing is being taken away from you. You have a life full of eating opportunities ahead of you! This attitude will allow you to accumulate more stomach hunger experiences and move toward your goal of ending overeating.

It can feel difficult to stop eating at times because something tastes good. Remind yourself that if you stop, you will save the rest for later, take it home if you are at a restaurant, or get that item again the next time you crave it. Next, consider getting up from the table for a minute—perhaps to get the mail—with full permission to come back to the food if you desire. The goal here is not to control yourself, but rather to give you a short break so that you can reflect on whether you are truly hungry for more of that food.

When it comes to deciding how full is just right, you will need to focus on your own comfort level. Think about the moment when you feel satisfaction as the point to stop eating. Some people find that the absence of hunger is their signal to stop, while other people find that they like to feel a full feeling in their stomach. You may find that the place that feels most comfortable to stop varies within a day or on different days. Check in with your stomach. Are you comfortable? Visualize how your stomach will feel 20-30 minutes from now. Is that okay with you? It's always up to you to decide where the line is between tuning in to your internal cue to stop eating and eating past fullness. The sooner you stop, the sooner you will become hungry, and making those frequent connections between physical hunger and feeding yourself is the way out of overeating.

kirstykay

Postby kkrichar » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:40 pm

Hi Kirsty,

Love the new journal. I'm very encouraged and excited too. 135 by June 5th? Wow, that's ambitious. I have a 20K race about that time and would LOVE to weigh 135. It would certainly put a lot less pressure on the old joints. In fact, I think I set 135 as a goal last year but didn't even get close. Maybe this year. I'll try it with you.

On the food addiction issue (or compulsive over-eating) I disagree with the whole "we all have to eat therefore abstinance is not an option" premise. I don't think there are many people out there who will overeat to the point of harming themselves, their livelihood and relationships on any food regardless of how it's prepared. I find there are particular things that I cannot control my consumption of when I eat them. I can abstain from those things just like I completely abstain from alcohol and tobacco. I don't believe I can normalize my relationship with Double Stuff Oreos. Telling myself I can have more later wouldn't work. I've tried it. When I eat whole foods, low in fat and sugar and salt I simply stop when my body is satisfied. I don't have to fight it. I don't have to manipulate it. I don't have to play games in my head. I just naturally stop. Where I do have to fight is in the beginning when I'm trying to abstain. Or during times of stress or anxiety or sadness or anger or whatever. When I'm at a party with tons of yummy off-plan foods I struggle. Then I tell myself, "If I can just make it 28 days it'll get easier and one day I'll never have to feel this way again." I'm on day 11. So far so good.

HW: 220 lbs BMI=36.3
CW: 162 lbs BMI=26.5
GW: 135 lbs BMI=22.3
kkrichar

Postby nomikins » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:11 pm

Count me in, too! I may start a new journal and call it the final 50.
nomikins

Postby kkrichar » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:40 pm

I want a new journal too! I need to think about my focus. I like this idea!!

kkrichar

Postby Pacificfords » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:58 pm

Love the new journal! :) Happy to be in the home stretch with you. :)
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
http://healthyandknowit2012.blogspot.com/
Pacificfords

Postby kirstykay » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:47 am

Kelly, Yes, let's do it!! I know it's ambitious, and I hesitate to make such a goal, afraid I will be crawling back here in shame in June, but I was feeling bold and daring! I don't want to be that person anymore, who doesn't keep her promises to herself, who can't be trusted to do what she says...that's not me anymore. So, if I come close but don't make it by June 5th, that will be okay with me. But, I'm going for it and I think I can do it. :nod: When I broke it down by week and realized it's really just over 2 pounds a week, I felt like it was more realisitic. Besides I'm really sick of not finishing!!! :mad: So let's go...be intentional...and FINISH STRONG!!! :unibrow:

You are totally right about the article. I agree with you 100% about the abstinence from trigger foods (high fat/sugar/flour combination for me). Yours is a much healthier way of thinking about it, absitnence is the ONLY way to break those addictions. And you're right, I'll never be able to "normalize" my relationship with those kinds of foods either...are there REALLY people out there who CAN??? :shock: (Maybe, just like alcohol, that's the difference from being addicted to food or being able to take it or leave it). I have to completely abstain from toxic foods, and I believe that the idea of moderation is a lie that I wanted to believe for too many years. So is the idea of "normalizing my relationship" with off plan foods. That's something I have learned from Dr. McDougall and why I've never been successful the many other programs I've tried over the last 22 years.

What I do like about this article is thinking through my feelings of hunger/fullness. I tend to still overeat when food tastes good. I'll eat more of the dinner on my plate even if it's MWL and has no triggers for me, just because I am enjoying the process of eating, I like the taste of it, and I just don't want to stop. It happened last night while I was eating a very yummy veggie stirfry. I had to MAKE myself stop, even though my stomach felt over-full. That's the behavior I'm trying to work on, and I felt like this article helped me think that through. Telling myself that the stir-fry would be there later when I am hungry again, or if my husband takes the leftovers to work, I can make more and have it as a often as I like, helped me stop eating.

Also, I've spend so many years numbing myself with food, and being detached from my body's signals of hunger and fullness that I need to learn to adopt a mindfulness while eating...slow down, enjoy the moment, not panic when it's time to stop, tell myself it's okay-it will be there later and I can eat whenever I am hungry. Hopefully, soon I won't have to be as intentional about it and it will just become a natural process for me. Thanks for your insight into the flaws of looking at ALL food this way. I think that is an important pitfall to avoid!

Pacificfords, Glad you're here in the home stretch. I've been following your journal and am so happy with all the changes going on for you. You are a totally different person, and have a totally different attitude than you did when you started this journey! I'm so glad your husband is on board now, too! That makes things so much easier!

Nomikins, Here's to the final 50!!! I l love it!!! :nod: Let's do it!

kirstykay

Postby Gramma Jackie » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:11 am

Your meals sound delicious!
Gramma Jackie

Postby kkrichar » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:59 am

OK, I'm fired up. I know what you mean about setting an abitious goal. I don't really care if I'm 135 by race day. What I do care about is that I get past this obsession with food and change my life for good. By setting an abitious goal like 2+ pounds per week you are forcing yourself to go all in. There's no room for little slips here or little indulgences there. You need to be completely compliant the whole time and that is the goal. If I am compliant until my race it will be the first time ever that I made it that long and I will be plenty proud and happy of that accomplishment. If I weigh 135 as well, then WOOT!, bonus!

I guess my goal date is June 2nd (day of the 20K race). Last year I made it 10 miles and walked the last 2.4 miles. It was partly because my friend couldn't run anymore and I felt bad for her but also I was tired and sore and used it as an excuse to stop. I had been doing very well with my running but I was not sticking to the food plan consistently. I lost about 10 pounds between January 1st and June 4th last year and most of it was in May when I got more serious about my food.

I'm on day 12 of compliance and it is getting easier. I'm still having a Pavlovian response to the grocery store but I have resisted so far. I am allowing one McDougall regular program item most days and it has been going well. However, I may phase those things out as I get more confident and the cravings lesson.

I'm excited to do this with you ladies. I should go start my new journal. In 2012 I want to be free from food obsession!

kkrichar

Postby kirstykay » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:16 pm

Grandma Jackie-thanks for stopping by. I'm having fun cooking warm things on these cold January days! I love to peruse your cooking ideas, so I appreciate the compliment! :)

Weight: 183.4
BS: 106

Food Today:
BKFS: Apple Pie oatmeal
LUNCH: Butternut squash soup
DINNER: Verry Veggie Stew: red potatoes, brown rice, TJ's bean and barley mix, canned diced tomatoes, green beans, corn, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, zucchini, mushrooms, spinach, kale, homemade veggie broth, salt/pepper, seasoning blend

Exercise: 20 min. yoga/ 45 min biggest loser wii workout

kirstykay

Postby kkrichar » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:23 pm

Good job, Kirsty. What is the Biggest Loser workout like? I don't have a wii but I'm curious. Do they yell at you? Last night I did the weeny Bob Harper workout again. I don't feel as sore today as I did last week so I think I'm getting stronger. I might increase the weights from 2lbs to 3lbs next week. I'm still not ready to try the 1 hour monster workout. I have a really hard time getting myself to do weight training. The short DVD workout is 19 minutes and 5 seconds. It's goes really fast and it's easier to talk myself into doing. Once I get in the groove, hopefully, I'll be excited to try the harder one.

I think I'll try the butternut squash soup. I have a squash at home and I just stare at it like a foreign object. Then I walk away and eat some potatoes. Time to branch out.

kkrichar

Postby nomikins » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:27 pm

I'm so glad to be on this team!
nomikins

Postby kirstykay » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:37 pm

Meee tooo, Nomi!

Kelly, The Biggest Loser wii workout is challenging, but not toooo hard. There are no weights involved, but it uses your own body weight to get your heart pumping! They have Bob and Jillian's voices recorded saying things like "give me everything you've got" and stuff like that, but they don't get mean! :lol: It's hard enough that my husband feels like he gets a good workout doing it (we took it on vacation with us this summer and did it together in the mornings). I have Jillian's 30 day shred and one called something like Metabolism Blaster, and I like those maybe better. The shred is shorter so Ikwym about convincing myself to do it! I've just been in a mood to workout at home lately and not brave the cold to get myself to the gym. I'm sure it's just a phase, but it's been kinda fun, and I realize it takes A LOT less time! It's fine now, when the kids are all gone, but when they're home, I appreciate being able to get out and workout without all the distractions of home...

Oh, I have a trick for my butternut squash...instead of peeling and cutting the squash while it's raw, just poke a few holes in it and put the whole thing, unpeeled in a 350 degree oven for about 45 minutes, or until it's soft. Then, take it out, let it cool enough to touch it, cut it in half, and scoop out the insides with a spoon. Soooo much easier (but it does take longer). Here's the recipe I used for my soup. It's very good. I can't remember where it's from, but I didn't make it up.

Creamy Vegan Butternut Squash Soup
Makes 5 cups

Ingredients:
2 large carrots, skinned and chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 cup vegetable broth
1 tsp ground cinnamon(or more if you like)
a few dashes of nutmeg
salt and pepper to taste
2 cups cooked squash (about 1 large)
2 cups fat free soy milk (I used unsweetened almond milk-only 40 cal/cup)

Directions:
1. In a large pot, add carrots, onion, broth, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
2. Simmer uncovered for about 10 minutes until carrots are soft.
3. Transfer everything to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth.
4. Add squash and puree until smooth, adding soymilk as needed
5. Transfer back to pot, add remaining soymilk, and heat over low heat until thoroughly warm, do not allow to boil.
6. For a thinner soup, add another 1 cup vegetable broth

Variation: Add 1/2 cup applesauce or cooked chopped apple with the carrots and onions.

Let me know if you like it!

kirstykay

Postby kirstykay » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:30 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAdqLB6bTuQ

AMAZING! LIFE CHANGING! POWERFUL! MUST SEE!

Food Today:
BKFS: Carrot Spice Muffins (ffvegan); fruit
LUNCH: Chickpea Rice Soup w/ Cabbage
DINNER: Veggie Stir-Fry
SNACK: Popcorn; banana

kirstykay

Postby pinkpinkycat » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:09 am

Kirstykay,

I just wanted to tell you outstanding job this week! What a fabulous loss!! I always enjoy your posts and you were one of the first people on the boards to welcome me to the group. I have always appreciated your kindness. You have come so far and you are an inspiration. I know you will make it goal!!!! :D
pinkpinkycat

Next

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals