Tapioca

Post gluten-free topics here. Read McDougall's thoughts in his Sept. 2005 newsletter: Could It Be Celiac Disease?

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve

Tapioca

Postby Mayflowers » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:52 am

Does anyone have a tapioca problem? Every time I have the GF hot dog buns with my Soy Boy Not Dogs that are GF, I feel ill. The tapioca is very high in them. I don't have any problem with other GF breads like Udi's
I've tried a couple of different brands and still feel sick after eating them. Guess I'll have to make my own.
Mayflowers

Re: Tapioca

Postby kittyadventures » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:36 am

Hi Mayflowers I was waiting to see if anyone else would weigh in on this.

It is entirely possible it is the tapioca.. but it is also possible it is either the guar gum or the xanthan gum... some people are sensitive to these.

also there is a new something they are adding to gluten free breads taht give it the loft... that we all know it never had before.

I am not sensitive to tapioca in fact it is very soothng to me.
Who knew an Apple a day, really would keep the Doctor away!
"Be the change you want to see in the world"--Gandhi.

http://www.kittyadventures.wordpress.com

Days in a row of exercise: 9
kittyadventures

Postby Gramma Jackie » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:51 am

Mayflowers wrote:Does anyone have a tapioca problem? Every time I have the GF hot dog buns with my Soy Boy Not Dogs that are GF, I feel ill. The tapioca is very high in them. I don't have any problem with other GF breads like Udi's
I've tried a couple of different brands and still feel sick after eating them. Guess I'll have to make my own.

Do they also have milk in them? Some brands have milk. Many people with gluten intolerance also are lactose intolerant.
Gramma Jackie

Postby Mayflowers » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:12 am

Not sure.. I threw out the package. I'll check. Thanks!
Mayflowers

Postby noelalexis2000 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:49 am

Yes, I watch very carefully what the gluten free products contain since the Xanthan gum and other additives make me nauseous. I eat a millet bread but it is made in a facility that makes wheat products but seems to agree with me better that the others.
noelalexis2000

Postby Mayflowers » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:08 am

Think I'm giving up on trying to find a GF digestible HD bun. :( I tried two brands and both caused a stomach ache.
Then I found out I'm also oat intolerant. I get the same symptoms from oats now. :-( acid reflux, pain, burping, depression and lethargy.
Mayflowers

Postby kittyadventures » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:12 pm

mayflower if you can find some gluten free bob;s red mill oats you may be able to eat those. and I think there was another one some one else mentioned.

kittyadventures

Postby Mayflowers » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:10 am

Bob's GF oats kind of have the same gluten effect on me. I shouldn't eat oats. Oh well, I'll figure something out. :)
Mayflowers

Postby kittyadventures » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:23 am

Mayflowers wrote:Bob's GF oats kind of have the same gluten effect on me. I shouldn't eat oats. Oh well, I'll figure something out. :)

Awww That is too bad so you are allergic to gluten and oats too.

there is always rice and quinoa.

kittyadventures

Postby sweetfruitlover » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:28 am

I just recently started getting acid reflux. I've never experienced it before and it's awful - I wake up at night choking on acid in my throat. Ugh. And I've been eating lots of gluten free oats and rice (my two go-to grains for the past couple months.) A friend suggested it may be all grains, and then another friend told me that she gets it from oats. I've stopped eating all grains this week and the acid reflux immediately disappeared.

Now I'm hopeful after reading your post, Mayflower, that maybe my second friend is right and it's just the oats. I will miss them so much - they're my favorite - but it would be awesome to be able to eat rice and other grains again.

I'll experiment with rice very soon.
sweetfruitlover

Postby kittyadventures » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:56 pm

sweetfruitlover wrote:I just recently started getting acid reflux. I've never experienced it before and it's awful - I wake up at night choking on acid in my throat. Ugh. And I've been eating lots of gluten free oats and rice (my two go-to grains for the past couple months.) A friend suggested it may be all grains, and then another friend told me that she gets it from oats. I've stopped eating all grains this week and the acid reflux immediately disappeared.

Now I'm hopeful after reading your post, Mayflower, that maybe my second friend is right and it's just the oats. I will miss them so much - they're my favorite - but it would be awesome to be able to eat rice and other grains again.

I'll experiment with rice very soon.

make sure your rice is gluten free also.. i know it seems silly but i have gotten contaminayed rice several times i might as well have eaten a doughnut. i only buy Lundberg rice now and I think some one on here posted a link to another rice product from a place that only processes gluten free grains etc.

Glad you are feeling better.

kittyadventures

Postby Summer » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:09 pm

You know I would definitely keep those ingredient lists. I think it's a good idea to have a file somewhere where you can just toss these things in and even better attach them to a slip of paper with the date and any symptoms and that way you can get a much better idea of what the problem really is, sometimes it can be surprising and something simple that you might not ever catch if you don't have this info to refer back to.

For me so far I'm finding flour seems to be an issue for me, I get all those symptoms -reflux, pain, bloating, lethargy, along with dysphagia- whenever I eat any flour it seems. I even recently had some rice pasta and am still feeling pretty miserable from it. It's odd but I seem to experience increased sensitivity to other foods for awhile after having any flour product. I used to think it was just wheat, but then I kept adding things to the list and feeling puzzled, but once I finally stopped all flours after many months I found I could go back to eating oats and even things like bulgar and manna bread without any issue. I've even had products made from flour that will cause issue for me while the same thing won't be a problem made from the mashed whole food (things like soy milk, hummus).
Summer

Return to Gluten-free Issues