Type 2 Diabetic

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Type 2 Diabetic

Postby Miked74 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:04 pm

Greeting to everyone!

I am new here and new to the Mcdougall program. I am very confused as to what I shouldn't being eating as a type 2 diabetic on the Mcdougall Diet. I get the No animal products and added fats. I guess my confusion is really about starchy food such as rice, potatoes and breads and how they effect my blood sugar levels. Any type 2 diabetics here can Give me some helpful pointers/advice On this subject?

I am currently on 1500mg Metformin
I am 270 pounds 5'11

My goal is to loose the weight to get off the meds and to Feel Healthy.
Miked74

Re: Type 2 Diabetic

Postby Miked74 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:55 am

Another question is how am I suppose to get my calories from starch if my sugar levels are going to high?
Miked74

Postby Crider » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:26 am

One important thing is whole grains & potatoes only. Brown rice, 100% whole wheat breads (stone ground the best), and unpeeled potatoes. Try for at least 50 grams of fiber per day. Download a copy of Cron-o-Meter to keep track of these things.

At first, perhaps you should do more vegetables in proportion to the starch you eat. Then eat more starches as your glucose falls.
Crider

Postby Miked74 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:05 am

Crider wrote:One important thing is whole grains & potatoes only. Brown rice, 100% whole wheat breads (stone ground the best), and unpeeled potatoes. Try for at least 50 grams of fiber per day. Download a copy of Cron-o-Meter to keep track of these things.

At first, perhaps you should do more vegetables in proportion to the starch you eat. Then eat more starches as your glucose falls.

Thank you for your response! I feel tired and shaky and have headaches because I'm not eating enough. I'm worried about my glucose going to high. Don't Most breads have eggs and Oil in them?
Miked74

Postby Crider » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:21 pm

You just need to read the labels until you've found the right brand of breads. Sometimes, I buy Ezekiel Bread. In health food markets, they have a larger variety of good breads.
Crider

Postby Miked74 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:54 pm

Yeah! Those Breads Look amazing! :shock: I'll have to check my local Health food store! Again thanks for your response!
Miked74

Postby openmind » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:33 pm

Miked74 wrote:Yeah! Those Breads Look amazing! :shock: I'll have to check my local Health food store! Again thanks for your response!

Try Alvarado Street's Barley Bread (if you can find it, if not, the other Alvarado Street breads are also very good).
openmind

Postby pinkrose » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:57 am

Welcome aboard, Miked74!

You will probably get better, faster result if you follow the MWL program which omits refined foods. :idea:

Please see:

http://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educa ... -juvenile/

You can see my story here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26307

Please enjoy getting educated and healthy and keep us posted on your journey! :nod:
Last edited by pinkrose on Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
pinkrose

Postby Joseph65 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:03 am

Mike,

Type 2 is a disease that comes from the over consumption of calories. It has more to do with how much you eat than what you eat. Under eat your calorie requirements by just 100 calories a day and the Type 2 will disappear in short order. You can eat plenty of starch whether potatoes or bread and as long as you under eat slightly each day. For a brief time you blood sugar will still spike until the body figures out you aren't packing it with more calories than it can handle. Once the change takes hold the spikes will disappear as will the need for medication. In my case since I don't need to lose weight I under eat slightly every other day and it works just fine for me. There was a time not too long ago that I thought lots of nuts and seeds were required to control blood sugar and Trigs but I learned this wasn't necessary to maintain good numbers. The secret is you want to call it that is simply under eating either daily or every once in a while to give you total control of your numbers.
Joseph65

Postby JOJO1947 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:34 am

Miked74 wrote:
Crider wrote:One important thing is whole grains & potatoes only. Brown rice, 100% whole wheat breads (stone ground the best), and unpeeled potatoes. Try for at least 50 grams of fiber per day. Download a copy of Cron-o-Meter to keep track of these things.

Thank you for your response! I feel tired and shaky and have headaches because I'm not eating enough. I'm worried about my glucose going to high. Don't Most breads have eggs and Oil in them?

I'd take it one step further and use whole grains only. I'd be willing to bet that giving up processed foods (including bread) for a few weeks will effect an improvement in blood sugars. The wheat whole grain is called the wheatberry, not the grain ground up into flour. Makes a big difference in the glycemic index. Oat groats or steel-cut oats, quinoa, buckwheat groats, brown rice in moderation, corn kernels (not tortillas). Use ground flaxseed and chia seeds for Omega 3's. No processed foods if possible, no oil. Your total fat should be less than 10% of total daily caloric intake and the Cronometer IS a great tool to track the fat. If you're not a sweet potato fan, give them a try. I get organic sweet potatoes and regular potatoes and always eat the skin. They are so satiating. :)
JOJO1947

Postby Miked74 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:03 am

pinkrose wrote:Welcome aboard, Miked74!

You will probably get better, faster result if you follow the MWL program which omits refined foods. :idea:

Please see:

http://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educa ... -juvenile/

You can see my story here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26307

Please enjoy getting educated and healthy and keep us posted on your journey! :nod:

Thank you for the warm welcome Pinkrose!

Congratulations on a wonderful life changing story. Thank you for sharing its Very inspiring!

Also that is very interesting Information as well. I am just so astonished by the overwhelming Information on this website, and how it goes against the grain of everything that I have learned/read about diet and food!

Btw what is MWL stand for I see a lot of people here using abbreviations Like MWL SAD PB?
Miked74

Postby JOJO1947 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:05 pm

Miked74 wrote: "Btw what is MWL stand for I see a lot of people here using abbreviations Like MWL SAD PB?"

MWL Maximum Weight Loss
PB Plant Based
WFPB Whole Foods Plant Based
SAD Standard American Diet
WOE Way of Eating
No SOS No Salt, Oil, Sugar (added salt, sugars)

Can't think of any others but I'm sure there are :) JoAnn
JOJO1947

Postby Miked74 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:26 pm

JOJO1947 wrote:Miked74 wrote: "Btw what is MWL stand for I see a lot of people here using abbreviations Like MWL SAD PB?"

MWL Maximum Weight Loss
PB Plant Based
WFPB Whole Foods Plant Based
SAD Standard American Diet
WOE Way of Eating
No SOS No Salt, Oil, Sugar (added salt, sugars)

Can't think of any others but I'm sure there are :) JoAnn

Okay now things are starting to make sense... Thought PB was Peanut Butter :lol:
Miked74

Postby Miked74 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:38 pm

JOJO1947 wrote:
Miked74 wrote:

I'd take it one step further and use whole grains only. I'd be willing to bet that giving up processed foods (including bread) for a few weeks will effect an improvement in blood sugars. The wheat whole grain is called the wheatberry, not the grain ground up into flour. Makes a big difference in the glycemic index. Oat groats or steel-cut oats, quinoa, buckwheat groats, brown rice in moderation, corn kernels (not tortillas). Use ground flaxseed and chia seeds for Omega 3's. No processed foods if possible, no oil. Your total fat should be less than 10% of total daily caloric intake and the Cronometer IS a great tool to track the fat. If you're not a sweet potato fan, give them a try. I get organic sweet potatoes and regular potatoes and always eat the skin. They are so satiating. :)

I am a big fan of bread but because of my diabetes I really haven't been eating it. Hopefully with Dr.Mcdougall's program I will be able to incorporate Healthy breads Back into my diet. My sugar Numbers aren't that bad I think the highest I have seen it go 230ish with no meds and that is peak. Currently my fasting number glucose is 129 No meds with the metformin its about 108. But I get bad side effects metformin! :\
Thank you for taking the time to reply to my posts Jojo
Miked74

Return to How to Begin