How many grams of fat per day?

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

How many grams of fat per day?

Postby taymariekay » Fri May 15, 2020 3:54 pm

I am currently on MWL with a few exceptions for longevity sake, including a couple servings of hummus (with tahini) and splash of soy milk in my banana nice cream. Other than those things, I eat only vegetables, whole starches and fruits. I don’t do 50/50 plate, I find I’m too hungry so I do more like 30% veg. So maybe I’m doing more of a starch solution/MWL hybrid :mrgreen:

I understand we aren’t supposed to count calories or grams, and I don’t plan to. However, I want to make sure I’m staying in a general realm so I can have success long term.

I have heard someone say McDougall recommends not going over 15 grams of fat per day. I’ve also heard 25 grams as well from someone else. So maybe the 15 grams are from overt fats?? And 25 grams overall?

I think having an idea of a limit will help me make sure I’m not overdoing the fats since I’m deciding to include them, albeit in small amounts. I am finding that it’s worth including a small amount of things that help keep me on track. So long as I don’t overdo them!

Appreciate you all!
taymariekay

Re: How many grams of fat per day?

Postby JeffN » Sat May 16, 2020 12:18 pm

Good question

We do not recommend a specific amount of fat or counting fat grams because it misses the essential keys to the program, especially the MWL program. The MWL program is based on calorie density, satiety and the related principles of the "passive over consumption of calories". Just knowing fat grams doesn't help with any of this. Two foods can have the exact same amount of fat grams yet vary widely in the calorie density, the satiety, and the passive overconsumption of calories

For the MWL program, we recommend avoiding all higher fat foods because they increase calorie density, decrease satiety and increase the passive overconsumption of calories. Very few make it here, especially to the MWL, because they can do a "little" of anything food related.

There are so many recipes for hummus without added fat or high fat foods.

For the regular program, we allow for some addition of foods higher in fat if you have no weight or health issues and they don't impact either.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Re: How many grams of fat per day?

Postby taymariekay » Sat May 16, 2020 9:00 pm

JeffN wrote:Good question

We do not recommend a specific amount of fat or counting fat grams because it misses the essential keys to the program, especially the MWL program. The MWL program is based on calorie density, satiety and the related principles of the "passive over consumption of calories". Just knowing fat grams doesn't help with any of this. Two foods can have the exact same amount of fat grams yet vary widely in the calorie density, the satiety, and the passive overconsumption of calories

For the MWL program, we recommend avoiding all higher fat foods because they increase calorie density, decrease satiety and increase the passive overconsumption of calories. Very few make it here, especially to the MWL, because they can do a "little" of anything food related.

There are so many recipes for hummus without added fat or high fat foods.

For the regular program, we allow for some addition of foods higher in fat if you have no weight or health issues and they don't impact either.

In Health
Jeff

Jeff, your post is so very helpful, thank you! I was on the fence, but now I’m definitely going to surrender and follow the program as outlined by letting go of the tahini and other higher fat foods (soy milk and peanut powder) and save them for when I am no longer trying to lose weight.

When goal weight and ideal health status is achieved, is it common for people to be able to add small amounts of higher fat and lightly processed foods back in without gaining? Or do some need to continue with MWL to maintain?

Thank you so much!!!!

Taylor
taymariekay

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program