Soup on MM

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Soup on MM

Postby CraftyeLadye » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:55 pm

Do you all think eating a home made fat free potato soup or even a corn chowder is ok for mm? It's souop wheather finally and all I can think of is soup. Maybe it is more MWL which is fine too. Opinions?
Lisa
CraftyeLadye

Postby CarolynA » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:09 pm

I don't know, but if it is, I would love to have your recipe! I make potato soup, but I use soymilk, so that wouldn't be fat free, would it? I would love a better version though, and soup does sound wonderful.

Carolyn
CarolynA

Postby rebecca » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:59 pm

I think it would be ok. To make it more MM, I would use potatoes with low calorie veggies. Like a green goddess soup. Spinach, zuchinni,kale, really any thing green with potatoes or your starch with some veggie broth.
rebecca

Postby kimba » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:20 am

I see nothing wrong with having soup. It could be a real life saver for you to stick with the program.

I plan on doing the MM in January, think I'll start planning some menus now.
kimba

Postby CraftyeLadye » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:16 am

My recipe is adapted from a few different sources:

Diced potatoes (about 6 med/lg) peeled (but I left the skin on last night and it made it thicker)
4 cans of fat free veggie broth
Diced red pepper
1 soup can of water
minced garlic
chopped celery
Cornstarch to thicken

I just cooked everything together and then mashed with a hand masher and added cornstarch to thicken it. I made this last night and at the end added a can of corn. Very filling with a large salad I didn't need or want anything for the rest of the night. I made enough for tonight's dinner too and my SAD eating family loved it too.
Lisa
CraftyeLadye

Postby kimba » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:13 pm

Yes, veggie broth is rather on the bland side. Like using water.

Ive seen recipes for making your own homemade broth, but never did try it. Too lazy I guess.
kimba

Postby nomikins » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:16 pm

Lindas wrote:Boy, I cannot stand vegetable broth, I have to use fat free chicken broth.

Real chicken broth or "chicken" flavored veggie broth?
nomikins

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:36 pm

Lindas wrote:Boy, I cannot stand vegetable broth, I have to use fat free chicken broth.

homemade veggie broth is easy and has good flavor. I just put all my veggie ends and peelings in a bag in the freezer, and when I need broth, I get out two cups of frozen veggie ends with six or eight cups of water and a scant T of salt, bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer until it's done...maybe 45 min to an hour?

Of course, I have made my own broth since forever, so using vegs instead of bones is just a matter of changing the main ingredient! 8)
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby rebecca » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:56 pm

Hey Lisa your potato soup looks yumbo! I say enjoy. Debbie, split pea soup is one of my favs and my family will eat it too! Now I have to go and make some soup. :)
rebecca

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program