OCT '09-MWL GROUP-"ON PLAN, PLANNING TO STAY THAT WAY!&

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Postby MaryW » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:45 pm

Wow! I bought a Kuhn Rikon mandolin slicer at TJ Maxx about a year ago. I've never used it. It's just been sitting in my kitchen. Well, I made a salad for dinner and hauled out the slicer. It is AWESOME! It sliced a carrot in about 10 seconds flat!
MaryW

Re: Don't worry about serving size.

Postby LauraA » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:25 am

f1jim wrote:Be concerned about eating till you are full. And make sure it's ffod that is on plan. You will satisfy your requirements easily. Remember, vitamin E is one of those vitamins shown to have troublesome numbers when taken as a supplement instead of getting it in real food.
I've always been amused by seeing in charts, how much vitamin E is in stuff like corn oil, with no mention that corn oil comes from corn! Like somehow we have a better chance of getting it with margarine or mazola than we do with real, goshdarn corn!
f1jim

Thanks, Jim - I do eat until full, and I don't worry about serving size. Yesterday I was just trying to calculate how some of my favorite recipes would come out on nutrition, calories, etc. I saw that all of my recipes were very low in vitamin E. I'm asking how others usually get vitamin E, because I don't want to supplement, and I feel that I shouldn't be eating nuts now. I may be low on salads in cooler weather, but I have lots of greens in my soups. Thanks, LauraA
Take care, LauraA

"ON PLAN, AND PLANNING TO STAY THAT WAY!"
Letha
LauraA

Postby Letha.. » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:24 am

Good morning all. I’m on plan and planning to stay that way. I’ll check back tomorrow. :)
Letha
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
Carl Sagan
Letha..

Postby LauraA » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:06 am

LET'S FINISH STRONG-
THERE ARE 74 DAYS LEFT IN 2009!

Hello all - I'm doing great, and I hope that you are too! I leave to see grandkids on the west coast on Wednesday, and after that I go to NY with family for the first three weeks of April. I have a huge family, and I'm retired, so I'm on the go a lot. I've been making a lot of soup yesterday and today to freeze, and then when I get home in late Nov (right before Thanksgiving) there will be plenty of nice meals ready. Take care, LauraA
Take care, LauraA

Letha
LauraA

Postby toadfood » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:16 pm

Hi everybody. I'm on plan and planning to stay that way. The sun is shining after 3 days of rain and I'm looking forward to taking a walk.

I have to stay with my turtle energy. Slow and steady wins the race. -- Letha
toadfood

Postby Bambie113 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:36 pm

LauraA, where on the West Coast are you heading to?

I have a stressfull day today, I've already managed to scarf down 2servings of pretzels.. But I managed some broccoli too some I'm focusing on the good. I love reading everyone's posts everyday! Thanks!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wTiqtcQ/]
[/url]
Bambie113

Inspired!

Postby Aliyah » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:38 pm

I just read Mike Teehan's Star McDougaller story---wow! Sure can relate with his many years of off and on McDougalling. I really like what he says (and Letha says this, too) about following the MWL to the letter. That's true for me, too. Any varying and I not only stop losing but put myself at risk of blowing the whole thing. I've been completely on plan for 5 weeks as of today, and lost 21 pounds. Yay! It works for me to keep it simple and often go back to the book to make sure I've got it right.

Oh, wait, I do one non-McDougall thing. When I see that I am eating mindlessly and too much, not stopping when I'm satisfied and leave the rest to eat later, I find it very helpful to do a juice fast for one or two days to re-set my eating awareness. I'm on the second day of a juice fast today, and plan to go on Mary's Mini starting tomorrow for at least 3 days. And I don't mind any pounds that slide off during this, after being stalled for 10 days of eating when I'm not hungry or already full.
Last edited by Aliyah on Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wxHa2Ex/]
[/url]
Aliyah

Postby LauraA » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:37 pm

Bambie113 wrote:LauraA, where on the West Coast are you heading to?

I have a stressfull day today, I've already managed to scarf down 2servings of pretzels.. But I managed some broccoli too some I'm focusing on the good. I love reading everyone's posts everyday! Thanks!

I'm headed to Seattle to visit my oldest daughter, her partner, and their two children! I can't wait! Take care, LauraA
Take care, LauraA

Letha
LauraA

Postby LauraA » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:43 am

LET'S FINISH STRONG-
THERE ARE 73 DAYS LEFT IN 2009!

So, the days are ticking away! I had some friends over for dinner last night - Paul's Two Cup Soup and salad and bread. I didn't eat any bread or any of the nuts that I put out when they got here. We had a nice time- they loved the soup. After they left, I put the nuts and the rest of the bread down the disposal. I could have given them to my brother today, but I didn't want to take any chances. I thought that I was wasting food, money, but then decided that throwing them out was a good investment! Take care, LauraA
Take care, LauraA

Letha
LauraA

Postby Letha.. » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:35 am

Checking in. I’m on plan and planning to stay that way. I’ll check back tomorrow. :)
Letha
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
Carl Sagan
Letha..

Postby Mommylut » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:33 am

After reading the Star McDougallar and Aliyah's post, I am more determined than ever to stick with this to the letter. I am beginning to think about giving up the coffee. Not only is this cough still with me, but I have had the worst heart burn since Sunday. I am not even enjoying this vice, which I have loved and swore I would never stop having. Maybe it will be the deciding factor in getting my energy level up. Since I had this flu, I am just not back to myself.

Laura- my you are the world traveller. Have a safe trip and can't wait to see/meet you in November.
Mommylut

Postby cowgirrlup » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:44 am

LauraA wrote:LET'S FINISH STRONG-
THERE ARE 73 DAYS LEFT IN 2009!

So, the days are ticking away! I had some friends over for dinner last night - Paul's Two Cup Soup and salad and bread. I didn't eat any bread or any of the nuts that I put out when they got here. We had a nice time- they loved the soup. After they left, I put the nuts and the rest of the bread down the disposal. I could have given them to my brother today, but I didn't want to take any chances. I thought that I was wasting food, money, but then decided that throwing them out was a good investment! Take care, LauraA

Way to go! :-D Congratulations, LauraA! You are right, it was an investment. It was an investment in yourself. This investment will pay back super big dividends! :D

WE can do this.
I have bursts of being a lady, but it doesn't last long.

The future is not some place we are going to, but one we are creating.
cowgirrlup

Postby Jan » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:06 pm

Just checking in. I'm on plan and staying that way.
Jan

Eating my way to slim and healthy
Jan

ticker help?

Postby Aliyah » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:33 pm

What am I doing wrong? I have not been able to change my ticker, not by clicking on it and not by copying the code.

I've ended up just making a whole new ticker to change it each time. Just now I tried using the HTML code instead of the bbCode, and that gave me no ticker at all. What am I missing?

Thanks!

(Got the ticker back, but still need to be able to update.)

Oh! Wait! I've got it! I think it's going to work now. Thanks anyway! :P
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wxHa2Ex/]
[/url]
Aliyah

Postby amyla51 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:24 pm

Hi all!
Today had been a weird day. I have been eating all the right stuff, but I don't feel very good. I am bloated and gassy and have a touch of heartburn. Maybe I'm eating too many beans? I don't know, but I am not happy. :-(

Today's food: oatmeal for breakfast, banana for snack, lentil soup and delicata squash rounds for lunch, herb tea and water.

I know this is a weird subject. but I bet I'm not alone. Has anyone else had success getting rid of bloated feeling? Should I take Beano? Help! My DH may kick me out of the house! (Just kidding.)

Thanks for any words of wisdom.

Amy :)
Amy in NH

"Potato Power!" (courtesy of Jeff Novick)
Nothing is impossible to a willing heart.
"On Plan and planning to stay that way." (Thanks, Letha)
amyla51

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program