JUNE '09 MWL "ON PLAN, PLANNING TO STAY THAT WAY!

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Postby Bambie113 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:38 pm

I'm back from disney land! And up 3 lbs, but I'm ok with that after everything we ate.. : ) Back on track! And back to work...ugh :D
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wTiqtcQ/]
[/url]
Bambie113

Postby Starchyme » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:52 pm

Mommylut wrote:So, I have been going through a lot. I am in the middle of being tested for either MS or Meniere's Disease. I have been falling down a lot. I have fibromyalgia and the pain has really gotten bad. Also, I have a weak muscle in my right eye since I am a child and it usually doesn't give me much trouble. These last couple of weeks I am having trouble controlling it and am seeing double a lot. The upside of all of this is that I realize the importance of treating whatever this ease with my diet so I have had one of the best weeks on the program. I have done a lot of reading about the success people have had with the diet. I am hoping to find out some information about what effect it might have on Meniere's. So far, the only thing I have found is following a low salt diet! I have still been exercising and made myself get out of the house this weekend to keep active. I will keep you posted.

Mommylut, I'm wishing you a favorable outcome from the testing. Whatever it is, maybe the McDougall program will be beneficial. I'll be thinking about you and sending big hugs while waiting to hear what you found out.
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

the 54 club?

Postby MTeehan » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:44 pm

I just noticed that two people reported turning 54 recently. I turned that magic number on 5/25. Maybe we finally get it right right before the (un) magic 55??? :D After over 22 years of 'playing' with McD I THINK it has finally clicked. From my top weight of 331 (New Years Day 1997) until today I've lost 131.6 pounds and all of it is because of McD. Twice I've gotten up to 300 again when I strayed. I've lost 45 on medifast only to get kidney stone and gain it back within literally weeks. What makes this time different? I FINALLY understand the MWL concept. In the past I STILL counted calories, carbs, and controlled portions while on McD. Some of my friends really think I'm lieing when I say I eat about 80% carbs and am losing weight. Today is the first day since at least 1988 that I've weighed under 200 pounds and that was only for a very short time after a 'bout' with weight watcher's. I don't post my weigh ins on this board anymore but I watch daily and you guys are way more inspiring then you know! I start each day checking your posts. I am SO inspired by Letha and each day I hope she is feeling better and better. She is the without a doubt the one who has inspired me most since I started reading here. Even though she is not feeling well she STILL posts each day!!!!! In the past I would have given up if I had the hiccups! Sorry for babbling but I'm happy today! I didn't think just getting under 200 would make me this 'giddy'. Dr. John McDougall has put up with my silly e-mail questions for years never once ignoring or getting angry at having to answer the SAME old questions over and over. He HAS the answers!!!! All we have to do is REALLY listen! Allright! I'll shut up! but first I have to say THANKS to all you inspiring McDougallers and PLEASE get well soon Letha. You are the spirit of this board!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
See how Dr. McDougall's Plan saved my life and gave me an optimistic outlook on my future here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4V2Zo3xEIw

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w2Qs2zt/]
MTeehan

Monday

Postby seestorcoo » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:49 pm

On plan and planning to stay that way. My plan today is:

Stay 100% MWL.

Eat 5 servings vegies.

No coffee.
If you are going to doubt something, doubt your limits.
seestorcoo

Re: the 54 club?

Postby Letha. » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:11 pm

MTeehan wrote:I just noticed that two people reported turning 54 recently. I turned that magic number on 5/25. Maybe we finally get it right right before the (un) magic 55??? :D After over 22 years of 'playing' with McD I THINK it has finally clicked. From my top weight of 331 (New Years Day 1997) until today I've lost 131.6 pounds and all of it is because of McD. Twice I've gotten up to 300 again when I strayed. I've lost 45 on medifast only to get kidney stone and gain it back within literally weeks. What makes this time different? I FINALLY understand the MWL concept. In the past I STILL counted calories, carbs, and controlled portions while on McD. Some of my friends really think I'm lieing when I say I eat about 80% carbs and am losing weight. Today is the first day since at least 1988 that I've weighed under 200 pounds and that was only for a very short time after a 'bout' with weight watcher's. I don't post my weigh ins on this board anymore but I watch daily and you guys are way more inspiring then you know! I start each day checking your posts. I am SO inspired by Letha and each day I hope she is feeling better and better. She is the without a doubt the one who has inspired me most since I started reading here. Even though she is not feeling well she STILL posts each day!!!!! In the past I would have given up if I had the hiccups! Sorry for babbling but I'm happy today! I didn't think just getting under 200 would make me this 'giddy'. Dr. John McDougall has put up with my silly e-mail questions for years never once ignoring or getting angry at having to answer the SAME old questions over and over. He HAS the answers!!!! All we have to do is REALLY listen! Allright! I'll shut up! but first I have to say THANKS to all you inspiring McDougallers and PLEASE get well soon Letha. You are the spirit of this board!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi MTeehan,
Thanks for the well wishes. I’m still struggling with the peripheral neuropathy. I have another visit on Wednesday with a Neurologist to go over the most recent test results. Congratulations on losing 131.6. That’s super.

Checking in. I’m on plan and planning to stay that way. I’ll check back tomorrow.
Letha
Letha.

Postby Faith in DC » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:56 am

MTheehan - I'm not 54 yet, but am 50 almost 51. I do think when you approach that 50 you get more into the health aspects which is what makes it click. I started when I was 47 to get serious after fooling around with it for 10 yrs.

Mommylut, search the good doctor's website. He's done articles on MS, diet is important there. I'm not familar with the other disease. I hope they figure it out so you can research and go about making yourself better.

Welcome to our new folks. Keep reading and watching. Many of us go about things a different way, so you might find something that helps you.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

New Member:=)

Postby kategulbicki » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:09 am

Hello,

My name is Kate Gulbicki and I'm a new person on the forum:=) I'm very interested in joining June (?) or July MWL Program support group. Since I'm a newbie to the forum as well as Dr. McDougall's eating, I wasn't quite sure where to start & get involved. I have purchased & read several Dr. McDougall's books & DVDs and should be familiar with the basics of the program. I have not quite converted into McDougall's style of eating as of yet but have stopped eating meats, dairy products, sweats and drinking coffee 2 years ago. So far, I have been eating quite a few Dr. McDougall's health foods (from his online store) but have not seen my weight go down at all.

My goal is to loose 20 pounds, start feeling less fatiqued & more energetic throughout the day. I work as a CPA and my typical office day involves 12-14 hours in front of the computer screen. Even with some exercise in the evenings, it doesn't seem to be enough to help me feel well and manage my weight. I love my job and really dislike how it's effecting my health, well being & appearance.

My few questions, which I would really appreciate help with, are as follows: should I follow exactly 2 week program described in the MWL book and continue it until I obtain my weight loss results? Where is the best place, within the forum, to go in daily & see what other group participants post, recommend & go through?

I would also love to learn about the group's activities - such as weekly weight in, etc....Any help to get started on the program, would be tremendously appreciated!

Thank you so very much. I'm excited to be part of the group and look forward to hearing from you:=)

Warmest Regards,
Kate G.
kategulbicki

Postby Faith in DC » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:48 am

Has it been a while since you read or watched McD? If so you might want to refresh. It's amazing how much we forget or didn't pick up the first time.

We weigh in and report on Thursday. Or like myself, I weigh on Sunday and just wait to report it on Thursday.

McD has two different plans, his regular plan which he is always evolving and improving as new studies come out and his MWL plan. We don't care which you pick. It sounds like you may have his regular plan book. Remember this is changing your eating for your health, the weight loss is a side effect, though some of us lean heavy on the weight loss aspect to get us into Mcd. His packaged foods are not necessary and not MWL legal. Sounds like the only change left to make is the oil, and maybe more whole foods if you want to get even more healthy.

I know about CPAs - at least tax season is over, and your round two of extensions is over here in August. For your mental and physical health you do need to put yourself first right now, and make time for yourself, for exercise. Choose the best time that works for you. I'm not a morning person, so I go after work. Around work many folks go mid day (we have showers), then most go early morning.

Hope this helps.
Faith
Faith in DC

Tuesday

Postby seestorcoo » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:34 pm

On plan and planning to stay that way. My plan today is:

Stay 100%

5 servings vegies

Okay, fine, I'll drink coffee.

Cook MWL food for week.
If you are going to doubt something, doubt your limits.
seestorcoo

Postby Bunnylover » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:31 pm

Hi All!

I am still on plan. Last night I had to attend a meeting and I knew there would be all kinds of off-limits snacks on the table. I ate dinner before going, and then brought my own fruit plate and veggie plate to snack on and share. The lady who hosted the meeting said "oh I am glad you brought that. I didn't provide any fruits and vegetables because I had a feeling you would bring some, since you are on your little diet." Grrrr! I was going to tell her that this is the same way I've eaten for the last 6 years, and the only change lately is that I am not making exceptions and not being a food pushover any more, i.e. eating crap just to be polite. "My little diet" indeed *grumble grumble*. That same lady still offered me chips and a chocolate-marshmallow pinwheel later in the meeting. Some people.

Anyway, I had a successful weekend foodwise. For lunch the past few days I've eaten Vietnamese Hot & Sour soup that I made on Saturday. Dinner was brown rice paella for two nights, then red beans 'n' rice for two nights. When I cook, I usually make enough for me and DH to have it for dinner twice in a row. That cuts my cooking time in half since I only cook dinner every other day.

My only other comment for today is YAY for summer fruit!! There, glad I got that off my chest :D I knew you would understand. Apricots, peaches, plums....mmmmmm.
Bunnylover

Postby Letha. » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:53 pm

Welcome kategulbicki, Best wishes on your journey.
================

Checking in, I’m on plan and planning to stay that way. I’ll check back tomorrow.
Letha
Letha.

Postby MaryW » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:30 pm

I've been struggling this week. (Didn't I say that last week too?) Where did I go wrong? I've been craving pizza for days. i finally gave in and bought a frozen pizza crust. Not whole wheat, but it was about 15% fat. Definitely not MWL though. On the plus side, I covered it with lots of veggies.

I've been having trouble with planning my work meals the last week or two. I went to vote on my lunch break, so instead of eating my international stew, I ate some rice cakes. I had a late meeting tonight, so I didn't get home to my dinner (international stew) until about 8 pm. Does it sound like I am using work as an excuse to shortchange myself? Feels that way to me. But I'm still avoiding the chocolate at work--which was replenished with Hershey's kisses today. What is wrong with these people?? Oh yeah, they don't have my food issues.
MaryW

Postby Chile » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:16 pm

This week's been a struggle because I haven't been home much. (Temp "job") I've settled for white rice because my hubby already had it made and I didn't have time to make brown. I made a packaged Pad Thai today that probably had oil in the sauce. Tomorrow, however, I have the morning off so hopefully I can peruse the fridge and get some food prepped for better cooking.

My exercise faltered a bit the last two days, too, with a sore foot following another cortisone injection for the Morton's neuroma. I didn't bike to "work" either because it was 100-freakin' degrees outside. Ugh. Tomorrow's gonna see an intense workout on the weight bag, yes sirree.
Chile

Postby mairead11 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:13 am

Just a reminder that tomorrow [Thursday] is weigh-in day.
Please post your change in weight since last weigh-in.

I'll total everything and post the results on Friday.
Thanks, Mairead
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad.
mairead11

Postby Faith in DC » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:26 am

Mary W - you have to put yourself first and want to take care of yourself. Believe me, life is totally full of stressors. It's totally full of food pushers and Americans that eat the American junk. If you have control and thinking about your health, you'll be more strong to say why in the world would I want this.

Every time I've lost weight, I've put myself first. If I don't have my good health then I can't care for those in my life.
Faith
Faith in DC

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program