My daily menus

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

My daily menus

Postby pinkrose » Tue May 22, 2012 11:38 pm

vary little.

Typical:

B: a cup or more of microwave steamed broccoli and a big bowl of brown rice

B2: a bowl of noodle soup when the extra energy is needed

L: microwave steamed potatoes with tomato sauce OR sweet potatoes when they are good and cheap

D: microwave steamed leafy greens, cauliflower, carrots (if sweet potatoes omitted), brown rice

I can eat several pounds of food/day, feel good and manage my weight quite well.

I usually also walk for an hour or more daily.

I am a happy customer! :D
pinkrose

Re: My daily menus

Postby nordgirl » Wed May 23, 2012 6:42 am

I love the simplicity of your food. Sometimes I think I've spoiled the gang around here with my complicated, time consuming recipes :(
My type 2 diabetic husband and I have lost a total of 65 pounds thanks to Dr. McDougall. I'm cooking for a household of 7 McDougallers, and enjoying good health and a renewed sense of well being.
- Lisa P.
nordgirl

Postby CJJ » Wed May 23, 2012 10:59 am

I would eat that simply if it were just me. I feel I have to mix it up to feed the family and keep them interested. :roll:
CJJ

Postby IndyAnna » Sat May 26, 2012 4:23 am

My husband would be happy if I told him that all I was making was Jeff's Burger's and Fries from now on.
IndyAnna

Postby pinkrose » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:41 am

My current diet:

B: microwaved broccoli, coarse rice
L: microwaved sliced potatoes with sliced tomatoes
D: microwaved cabbage, coarse rice

Is your diet simpler? :?: :D
pinkrose

Postby dlee » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:41 pm

Wow it doesn't get much simpler then that Pinkrose!!!
Do you use any condiments? soy or otherwise on your rice or potatoes ? I don't use much I seem to enjoy things plainer then when I began eating this way a couple of years ago. Just wondering! Dlee
dlee

Postby pinkrose » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:50 am

dlee wrote:Wow it doesn't get much simpler then that Pinkrose!!!
Do you use any condiments? soy or otherwise on your rice or potatoes ? I don't use much I seem to enjoy things plainer then when I began eating this way a couple of years ago. Just wondering! Dlee

Of course you could eat only one starch and call this a "Mary's mini."

I use no condiments. I am amazed by how I have adjusted to not adding salt. I recall years ago that I ate some salt free potato chips and quipped that I would prefer the salt without the chips over the chips without the salt. Now I enjoy the foods with no added salt.

We have great adaptive capacity! :nod:
pinkrose

Postby rosie48 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:00 am

Pinkrose-

You truly inspire me!
I am confused though. You say you eat several pounds of food a day. Does that mean that you snack between meals?
I am scheduled for a knee replacement on 9/4. I really, really want to shed another 7 pounds before surgery.
Could you suggest a days menu for me including snacks?

I love food so nothing is off bounds.
I have been grazing and perhaps eating too much. Perhaps no fruit at all?

I am concerned about portion size..but the McDougall's don't seem to limit amount eaten of allowable foods.

Appreciate any tips and advice you can offer.
Due to my knee problem am not able to exercise right now.

:) Karen
rosie48

Postby pinkrose » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:23 pm

rosie48 wrote:Pinkrose-

You truly inspire me!
I am confused though. You say you eat several pounds of food a day. Does that mean that you snack between meals?
I am scheduled for a knee replacement on 9/4. I really, really want to shed another 7 pounds before surgery.
Could you suggest a days menu for me including snacks?

I love food so nothing is off bounds.
I have been grazing and perhaps eating too much. Perhaps no fruit at all?

I am concerned about portion size..but the McDougall's don't seem to limit amount eaten of allowable foods.

Appreciate any tips and advice you can offer.
Due to my knee problem am not able to exercise right now.

:) Karen

:o Thanks!

Karen, I usually eat no snacks and no fruit. My guess is that my breakfast is about 1.5#, lunch, 2.5#, dinner, 1#.

Since you like many foods, it should be easy for you to plan simple meals of veggies and starches. That is all I eat and it works well for me. If you increase the ratio of veggies to starches, you will be able to reduce your weight faster.

Eat when you are hungry and eat until you are satisfied.

Follow these simple ideas and I think you will be successful! :nod:

I am glad you are taking the weight off of your legs. Please keep us posted on your surgery. I pray you will soon be walking well. :nod:
pinkrose

Postby pinkrose » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:29 pm

September sweetness has arrived!!! :nod:

Yes, my wife returned after her tour of duty with the grandson. Less importantly, but also quite significant, is that we can now buy wonderful, cheap (25 cents/pound) sweet potatoes in Wuhan!!! The sweet potato is my favorite food! :nod:

Here is my current diet:

All of my vegetables are microwaved.

B: broccoli, coarse rice
L: sweet potatoes :D
D: leafy greens, coarse rice

I am a happy customer but my better half thinks I am too thin. So I will probably eat a lot of second breakfasts of noodles and noodle soup to avoid getting blown away! :nod:
pinkrose

Postby carrotlvr » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:58 pm

Pinkrose,

I am curious if you jumped right into these simple meals or did this evolve over time. I spent a ton of time on food prep since I cook various things for my family and also myself. I've really got to chance this as I am approaching burnout. I think I spend an hour or more in the kitchen just for dinner and that is working full time.

Granted, I have been harvesting a lot from my garden and getting it into the freezer too. I think I really need to focus on a few things a week but I would really like to know how this evolved for you.

Kris
carrotlvr

Postby pinkrose » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:29 pm

carrotlvr wrote:Pinkrose,

I am curious if you jumped right into these simple meals or did this evolve over time. I spent a ton of time on food prep since I cook various things for my family and also myself. I've really got to chance this as I am approaching burnout. I think I spend an hour or more in the kitchen just for dinner and that is working full time.

Granted, I have been harvesting a lot from my garden and getting it into the freezer too. I think I really need to focus on a few things a week but I would really like to know how this evolved for you.

Kris

Thanks for your question, Kris!

Actually when I think of my first meal (mom's milk), it seems that my diet has evolved to some extent...but not nearly as far as yours! :shock:

I am a resiter. I resist wasting time and energy and since I am satisfied that, in regard to health, a complex diet is no better than a simple one, I choose the simple one.

My brain is always trying to figure out a better way to accomplish a goal or task and for me, "better" often simple means using less time and energy.

So, for me, the unevolved one, keeping my diet as simple as possible is quite natural. I think one will also tend to ingest less calories (thinking of Mary's mini) if the diet is simple.

However, if you think my diet is simple, recall that from The Starch Solution, it seems that many have fared quite well on simpler diets--little more than potatoes or sweet potatoes or beans and corn. :!:

For me, six or less foods/day is ideal...since the foods are high in quality! :nod:

Kris, have you thought about offering your family simpler meals? :?:
pinkrose

Postby carrotlvr » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:22 am

I
Kris, have you thought about offering your family simpler meals? :?:

I found your post to be very insightful. Yes, I do need to get back to basics. Part of my problem is my obsession with food. I am always pouring through recipe book figuring out what to do. I'm going to keep a few staple in the fridge in order to through together some simple meals including a pot of vegetable soup.

That will also free up time to do a lot of other things I could be doing with my time.

Kris
carrotlvr

Postby Vegankit » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:37 am

Pinkrose, I'm curious, what does your wife and family eat for their meals? Are they eating the traditional Chinese food or modern Chinese version of SAD?
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby pinkrose » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:44 pm

Vegankit wrote:Pinkrose, I'm curious, what does your wife and family eat for their meals? Are they eating the traditional Chinese food or modern Chinese version of SAD?

My better half has a history of stokes in her family--both parents. Her TC and triglycerides are high. She has made some positive changes in regard to diet but not nearly enough. :-(

The others do not live with us but they eat mostly the SAD or the CAD which includes lots of fat and animal products. :-(

So I am a lone ranger...but a happy customer in regard to my own results! :nod:
pinkrose

Next

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals