Tater question..........

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Tater question..........

Postby SandyW » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:33 pm

Being a newbie with all of this and patiently awaiting the delivery of my McDougall cookbooks, I have one question that keeps nagging at me concerning potatoes. Now, I love love love sweet potatoes and have no problem with them...I also love any other kind of potato and wondered about eating white potatoes because I keep hearing how they are not good for us since they spike our insulin level which makes them high on the glycemic index. I guess my question is: are white potatoes part of the McDougall program if what I've heard is true? You know I want to hear that we can eat any old kind of potatoes...but, I will be good and live by the McDougall rules. Thanks. :)
SandyW
_______
"I will not eat anything that walks, runs, skips, hops or crawls. God knows that I've crawled on occasion, and I'm glad that no one ate me." -----Alex Poulos
SandyW

I eat any potato I can get my hands on ....

Postby Sunny » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:47 pm

Read some of the star McDougaller's who have had blood sugar and insulin problems. Go to main page then click on star McDougaller's :-D
All the Best,
Sunny
MWL 99.9% 12 Day .1 % Always McDougall
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sunny

Postby DK » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:58 pm

Yep, you can eat any kind of potatoes. In fact, McDougall has pointed out that you could be quite healthy eating primarily, or even only, potatoes. There's a lot of info about the nutritional value of potatoes in the newsletter article on Mary's Mini-McDougall diet:

http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2006nl/june/marys.htm

Apparently that article generated a lot of questions about GI, so he followed it up with this one on the glycemic index question:

http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2006nl/ ... ycemic.htm
DK

Yes, you can eat potatoes

Postby serenity » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:38 pm

When I was in Santa Rosa last year, there were a few diabetics. One in particular kept quizzing Dr. McDougall about potatoes. He patiently kept repeating, Yes, you can eat potatoes.
serenity

Postby SandyW » Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:18 am

OH Happy Day!!!! Thank you for your replies about my tater question and thank you DK for those very informative links...very interesting information for sure. I'm so happy to know I can eat all kinds of potatoes...almost makes me feel like I hit the lottery! LOL :-D
SandyW
_______
"I will not eat anything that walks, runs, skips, hops or crawls. God knows that I've crawled on occasion, and I'm glad that no one ate me." -----Alex Poulos
SandyW

My other name is Mrs. Potato Head...

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:38 am

I absolutely love potatoes. When I read what Dr. McDougall wrote about having two or three, I said to myself, I love this man.

Anyhow, I had "PCOS" and my fasting insulin levels were always high, the lowest I think it got while I was in a study and taking Glucophage (which was supposed to lower my fasting insulin levels, lower my cholesterol, and magically make me lose weight) was 10.

Then, I had to stop the Glucophage and finally found Dr. McDougall's program. My next fasting insulin level was 4 something, and the two since then have been 3.1 and 3.2. I eat potatoes every single day, with a few exceptions. I think that people who think potatoes are bad should start eating them without butter and sour cream and milk and see the difference!
It IS the food! :unibrow:
(... do these earrings make my butt look big?)
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Postby SandyW » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:58 am

Oh no, Mrs. Doodlepunk...I think we're in love with the same man!! LOL Awww, heck....I bet we're not the only ones who love Dr. McDougall. I'm so happy that I found this board and have just been fascinated with all of the information regarding this way of eating. Like you, I just love potatoes too...I often said I could live on them alone! I'm so glad to hear that the McDougall program has helped you so much with your insulin problem...and I agree about those who say potatoes are bad for you and that maybe they should try eating them without the butter, sour cream, and milk! :)
SandyW
_______
SandyW

Postby Jan Tz » Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:51 am

We need to find the Potato Toppings list and post it to the recipe board. I will try to do that a little later this morning.
Jan Tz

Return to The Lounge