Are we getting enough essential fatty acids?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Are we getting enough essential fatty acids?

Postby baardmk » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:49 am

Interesting about the purslane bbq. It really does seem to have a lot more omega-3, approximately 3 times more than spinach. So you wouldn't need to eat bushels of it if you want a similar ratio of omega6/3 as you would be getting with two tbsp of flax seeds.

I've never tasted it. Taste good, raw or cooked? Comparable to any other foods? Can you eat 10 ounces of it during the day with relish? I would be interested in growing it.
baardmk

Re: Are we getting enough essential fatty acids?

Postby Ginger » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:04 am

Purselane is an aggressive weed. It will grow just about anywhere, including pots. It doesn't care if its wet or dry. And once it goes to seed, you will find it growing everywhere. It is somewhat succulent and I don't like the texture. I used to put it in veg smoothies, and have yet to try cooking it. I have a lot of it right now, dispersed everywhere in my garden, and I look at it and wonder how I can make it a palatable inclusion into my diet.
Ginger

Previous

Return to The Lounge