Gut Bacteria Might Influence Our Minds

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Gut Bacteria Might Influence Our Minds

Postby soul food » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:31 pm

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2013/11 ... -our-minds

Gut Bacteria Might Guide The Workings Of Our Minds

by Rob Stein

November 18, 2013 3:07 AM

Could the microbes that inhabit our guts help explain that old idea of "gut feelings?" There's growing evidence that gut bacteria really might influence our minds.

"I'm always by profession a skeptic," says Dr. Emeran Mayer, a professor of medicine and psychiatry at the University of California, Los Angeles. "But I do believe that our gut microbes affect what goes on in our brains."

Mayer thinks the bacteria in our digestive systems may help mold brain structure as we're growing up, and possibly influence our moods, behavior and feelings when we're adults. "It opens up a completely new way of looking at brain function and health and disease," he says.

soul food
soul food

Re: Gut Bacteria Might Influence Our Minds

Postby Demosthenes » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:56 pm

"Mayer thinks the bacteria in our digestive systems may help mold brain structure as we're growing up, and possibly influence our moods, behavior and feelings when we're adults."

Well, considering what I ate during my childhood there's no hope for me. :shock:
"Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat 2,000 of something."- Mitch Hedberg
Demosthenes

Re: Gut Bacteria Might Influence Our Minds

Postby colonyofcells » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:08 pm

There's probably about 10x more bacteria creating our body and in symbiosis with our own cells (eukaryotic life forms). I am pretty sure both body and mind are influenced by the bacteria we are in symbiosis with, and even my own mind is probably partly created by my bacteria or a projection of my bacteria.
colonyofcells

Return to The Lounge