September ASW

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

September ASW

Postby f1jim » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:10 pm

Greetings from Santa Rosa. As I've mentioned earlier, we got here early so my wife can enjoy the pool finally. We always enjoy looking at it and today with the temp being around 95 it was a good day to make use of it. Already we have met 7 people from the forum so we got to say hello to Dave, Lena, Donna, Lisa, Jim, Nelsie, and Rick. Also ran into 6 Star McDougallers so far.
Dr. McDougalls opening remarks found him very animated and motivated. He has certainly found his fire tonight.
The opening guest speaker was given 2 hours and she did a great job. Dr. Pamela Peeke was entertaining and we got some great information on food addictions and their remarkable similarities to drug and alcohol addictions in the way the brain processes them. Those struggling with them will find much to sink their teeth into. It took me about 15 minutes to grasp her style then all fell into place. She was witty, humorous, and informative in a very palatable style. For someone so well connected she has remained under my radar. Not anymore. I look forward to her talk on epigenetics tomorrow.
Great food for dinner tonight. I went back twice to make sure I tasted everything. My favorites were the Moroccan Red Lentil Soup and the Three Bean Salad. Beans and totillas were excellent also.
That's it for tonight. For those watching at home wave if you see me. I'll wave back.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Re: September ASW

Postby sharonbikes » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:17 pm

Thanks for the update, Jim!!! Keep them coming!
sharonbikes

Postby hazelrah » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:56 pm

Pamela Peeke gets my vote as best ASW speaker ever on the Internet broadcast.

Mark
...the process that creates this boredom that we see in the world now may very well be a self-perpetuating, unconscious form of brainwashing, created by a world totalitarian government based on money, ... Wallace Shawn
http://www.anginamonologues.net
hazelrah

Postby colonyofcells » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:39 pm

Pamela Peeke has some short videos on youtube :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7MOM_CGDqc
Wes Youngberg (Goodbye Diabetes) has many youtube videos :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhhB5V_cO0E
Last edited by colonyofcells on Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
colonyofcells

Postby RAS » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:03 pm

Hi Jim,Glad you are enjoying this weekend.Have you met our Kelly yet?Tell her I said hi! Can't wait to hear all about it. RAS
RAS

Postby patty » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:25 pm

I too am happy you are enjoying the weekend:) We are blessed to have you keep us not only informed but inspired.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby MSNomad » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:39 pm

Thanks for the update!
I have a blog about traveling well with MS: MSNomad's blog
You can also "like" me on Facebook: MSNomad's FB page
I also keep a journal here on the Discussion Boards: MSNomad's journal
MSNomad

Postby Katydid » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:42 pm

Hey Jim,
Spotted you in the audience. :D
Do you know what happened to David Jenkins? There's no video available.
Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby sharonbikes » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:34 pm

I am watching on-line - just finished watching Dr. Peke's presentation - OMG - amazing good stuff. wow. I can't wait to watch the rest of the videos!!

Sharon
sharonbikes

Postby jay kaye » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:00 pm

Earnestly awaiting the MS study results tomorrow.

Sorry I didn't make it to this ASW.

Jim, thanks for the updates.

j
jay kaye

Postby f1jim » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:20 pm

Hi folks
Glad several of you are watching at home. Met Kelly from the forum today. She is really sweet and it's so much fun to put a real person and a voice along side of her avatar.
What a day! I'm going to do a quick wrap up and call it a night.
Had a great breakfast and then right into Dr. Pam Popper's presentation called Food over Medicine. She certainly lived up to her reputation as a determined dispenser of quality nutrition based medicine.
Then Dr, David Jenkins was next. This is the legendary creator of the glycemic index and a long time aquaintence of Dr. McDougall. He reviewed the index and explained it's benefits and also talked about it's shortcomings in it's use as a dietary aid. Heavy stuff but very informative.
Then the charismatic Dr. Pamela Peeke was back with her second talk. this time it was on the Science of Epigenetics. Essentially how we can control gene expression through diet and exercise. Very empowering information how we can turn the tables on seemingly bad genetics. My wife says she would kill for Dr. Peeke's arms. A serious athlete she was!
By lunch I was starving and the lunch didn't dissappoint. My favorites were the Thai noodle salad and the broccoli bisque soup. Even better was the Asian marinated tofu. I am not usually a big tofu fan but this knocked my socks off.

After lunch more food with the recipes of Ellen Jaffe Jones. She was demonstrating several recipes from her book Vegan on $4 a day. I really liked the Load 'em up burritos. This woman is a competitive runner and looks amazing for 60 years old.
Robert Goodland was up next and his talk was on Livestock and climate change. He had a dire message about upcoming tipping points for climate change and how our diet was the single biggest contributor to the issue. Serious stuff from a long time contributor on a global basis.
Richard Wrangham was next and his talk was on how cooking made us human. His talk was great and the grilling Dr. McDougall gave him afterwards was memorable. I hope it made for good theater for you folks at home.
Then dinner. Well I was still a bit full from lunch but there are just so many things to try. I loved the hearty dal soup.
The Dan Pirarro, the creator of the Bizarro cartoon strip wrapped the night up with his own personal bizarre humor. He basically talks spontaneously and is quite a hoot.
I'm bushed and tomorrow is another full day so I'm calling it a night. I saw a couple of you wave so thanks. A couple others seemed scared to wave so don't be afraid tomorrow.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby patty » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:38 pm

f1jim wrote:
Robert Goodland was up next and his talk was on Livestock and climate change. He had a dire message about upcoming tipping points for climate change and how our diet was the single biggest contributor to the issue. Serious stuff from a long time contributor on a global basis.
f1jim

Mahalo Jim... pretty much says it all for me:)

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby f1jim » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:27 am

After a good nights sleep I'm ready to head for breakfast. This morning I'm going to meet forum member Donna for breakfast. Can meals get any better than this? Leaders in the world of nutrition and people that think similarly all breaking bread. There aren't too many opportunities like this in my "normal" world. Good food then a talk by Dr. Wes Youngberg. See you there.
f1jim
f1jim

Postby Rob » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:35 am

Jim - Thanks very much for the updates on the ASW. We've joined ASW virtually many times but had to miss the 'live broadcast' event this weekend due to other commitments.
Rob

Postby BarbG » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:07 pm

Just listened to Dr. McDougall's first talk. WOW!! That was incredible!
BarbG

Next

Return to The Lounge