Female stuff - feeling a little 'stabby' today.

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Female stuff - feeling a little 'stabby' today.

Postby AnnaSpanna » Fri May 31, 2013 7:52 pm

Sorry menfolk... :D

So, for my fellow wimmins especially those of about my age, 50 and menopausal, how are your emotions since changing to this WOE?

I think my husband doesn't know how lightly he's getting off.
I hear tales of horror on other boards.
One male board member has had his wife turn into someone he doesn't even recognise and his marriage is in trouble which is pretty darn scary.

Most days I'm pretty good. Even through my fertile years I was fairly tame.
It's just that now and then I get frustrated and want to kick the crap out of 'something'.

Today I wanted to make my lunch and because I'm on an ED I can't just make a quick sammie and be gone. I actually have to prepare food that involves peeling, cutting and cooking.
My hubby was fluffing around and getting underfoot.
How dare he help out in the kitchen by tidying up and doing dishes?!!!!
I wanted to use the kitchen, and yes I could have moved around the corner of the bench and in fact did, eventually, but I wanted 'that' spot in the kitchen and he was in my way.

I will be glad when I get through the other side of menopause.
Until then, be afraid. Be very afraid.

No family members were harmed in the making of this post. :)
AnnaSpanna

Re: Female stuff - feeling a little 'stabby' today.

Postby insocal » Fri May 31, 2013 9:31 pm

I used a tiny bit of natural progesterone cream just once a day for a few years. End of problem. No temperament issues, no hot flashes, no bladder control issues. ZIP.

I'm done with menopause now, and don't use it anymore. Maybe that's why these @^(#&@#%*! hot flashes are such a problem now...........

:lol:
insocal

Postby Chile » Fri May 31, 2013 10:48 pm

AnnaSpanna wrote:Most days I'm pretty good. Even through my fertile years I was fairly tame.
It's just that now and then I get frustrated and want to kick the crap out of 'something'.

You know, I have times when I get frustrated, too, and want to kick the crap outta something. A few years ago, I was taking Krav Maga classes and decided to get a standing weight bag to practice my punches and kicks at home. I was absolutely amazed at how much of a release that was for negative emotions. Sadly, I got rid of the bag when we moved to our current house but I am in the process of trying to re-arrange so that I can get one again. I need a safe outlet for those frustrations!

My frustrations are not PMS or menopause related. I have had occasional need of some sort of physical release for anger and frustration as long as I can remember. As a youth, I really got into chopping wood ... until the axe head went flying off the handle one day. Scared me silly and I lost that outlet. Darn, now I wish we had a fireplace so I'd have a good reason to chop wood again!

Anyway, you might look into some sort of activity to take up when needing to release a lot of pent-up energy. :D
Chile

Postby LoriLynn » Fri May 31, 2013 11:20 pm

Throughout most of my life I suffered with severe symptoms every month. I could hardly function and I was always in pain and moody. Two years ago I switched to this WOE and within 6 months I went into menopause. No symptoms, no transition, nothing. It was like I had my life back again. I feel so much better and I am convinced that my fibroid tumors (once the size of oranges) are now shrunk and almost gone.

I only wish I had known about this way of eating in my youth. I could have avoided so much pain and misery.
LoriLynn

Postby ajhondrngal » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:33 am

I'm coming up on 50 and I think I'm still not to menopause yet. I'm looking forward to it. I get frustrated, too, but not for that reason yet. Like today. I talked to the lady in front of me on the road.

"Really you don't need to stop at the railroad tracks. There's no sign and no train in sight."

"Come on, the speed limit is 30, not 20. Please turn at the next corner."

And, "Do you need me to push?"

LOL...that's totally normal for me, so not that yet.

Good luck!

Chili, you can come chop wood at our house.

LoriLynn, that would be nice. One more incentive to stick with this way of eating.

Progress, not perfection.
ajhondrngal

Postby AnnaSpanna » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:00 am

I really love not having periods anymore, that's a blessing.
And most of the time I'm pretty good.
Just now and then... I lose it. :)

I would love a punching bag.
Love it heaps!
Where do I get one? :D

I tried progesterone cream some years back. It didn't help, unfortunately. :(

Ah well... 1 and a bit years down, several to go...
AnnaSpanna

Postby greentea » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:05 am

LOL Anna, I love the title of this thread!

Last few years have been a challenge for me too. I've noticed that my emotions are way more up and down.

Chile, I have taken Krav Maga lessons too. I loved it so much but sadly there are no instructors in the area where I live now.
Thought you girls might enjoy this krav video. You can practice this at home without needing any special equipment and get some of that frustration out!!! I love this gal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zdc2j73bhKU
greentea

Postby SweetPea » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:25 am

This thread is making me laugh. :lol: :lol: A few years ago in one of those sports stores, I started pounding on the punching bag and ~ it feels awesome! Who knew?!

There's one for sale on Amazon (and elsewhere). What I really love is the picture of the two little girls giving it a whack. :D One of them is really winding up! :lol:
~♥~ It's never too late to go after what you want. ~♥~
SweetPea

Postby Chile » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:31 am

The sporting goods stores - like Big 5 and Sports Authority - both carry punching bags or stands. I bought the less expensive free-standing variety and filled it with sand for stability. It still moved around a lot more than I would have preferred.

Thanks for posting that video. I've bookmarked her to check out the other KM videos she has. I need to get back into practicing.
Chile

Postby veggylvr » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:27 am

I have friends who swear by White Peony as a natural treatment.

I am almost 50 and just went 3 months without a period. I started having hot flashes too. Then, I went back to taking Cholest-off, which has plant stenols in it, and it seemed my hot flashes went away, and I just got my period, so I'm not sure if I was lacking in something or just that the plant stenols help with hot flashes. If they come back, I'll try the white peony.
veggylvr

Postby Plumerias » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:56 am

At 43 I got my tubes tied, quit taking the pill, and was immediately plunged into perimenopause. It was ugly. At the time, we were also transitioning from SAD to vegetarian, mostly vegan for me as I dislike dairy immensely. So I've stopped eating supplemental estrogens (animal foods), quit taking it (the pill), and am losing my own all at once. Yup, ugly. I used to look at my husband with that look, y'all know the one, my hand cupped in an evil manner, and tell him I wanted to remove his testicles without benefit of anesthesia. :twisted: Bless the man, he's such a good hugger! One thing no one has mentioned that really helped me was sex. Honestly, it always helped even me out. Of course, we had to get past my wanting to emasculate him first, but he was up to the challenge. :wink: I did try one of those creams used vaginally, but didn't like the way it made me feel, so I just dealt with being evil.
Plumerias

Postby AnnaSpanna » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:41 pm

I like that, you just dealt with being evil. :lol:

That self defence video was awesome! Holy cow did she pummel the crap out of that!
You can see she has good muscle tone.
I can tell myself I'm doing it to tone my arms all the while taking out my frustrations on some poor innocent pillows. :D
AnnaSpanna

Postby rickfm » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:28 pm

Whatever it was I said or did... I'M SORRY!

Please, don't stab me!

I'm just a guy.... I didn't mean it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7H3hMQl2Rs

;-)
Last edited by rickfm on Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Rick

Mmmm.... cabbage!
Keeping it Simple
rickfm

Postby ajhondrngal » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:29 pm

Veggylvr reminded me. As soon as my first child was born my cycles got more and more irregular. After years I was having one a year and started having a few hot flashes. I was nearing 40 years of age at that time. In 2004 I started eating "better" although it was still a SAD diet. I started being more regular again. For the last 3.5 years I've been more regular than I've ever been and with this way of eating I hope to be almost normal for once in my life...just in time to stop the cycles. ha ha

Progress, not perfection.
ajhondrngal

Postby greentea » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:14 pm

Gals, if you feel you still need to take it out on a guy (and spare your partners), you can get a punching bob!
greentea

Next

Return to The Lounge