Whole community of Paleo folks following the McDougall diet

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Whole community of Paleo folks following the McDougall diet

Postby stri8ed » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:41 am

This is too funny. I just came across this active thread on a popular paleo forum, where the users are following a "potato diet" which is essentially the mcdougall diet. Of course its branded as a fat busting "trick", this way they can escape the fact that its a healthy and viable diet which is not meat-based.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread72366.html
You gotta read some of the entries in this thread, it could easily be mistaken for the journal board on this site.
Last edited by stri8ed on Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
stri8ed

Re: Whole community of Paleo folks following the McDougall d

Postby JosephJacovino » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:55 am

Thats too funny.
It's funny because modern isolated hunter gatherers eat a mostly plant based diet, based around roots like potato's, so its not suprising at all.
JosephJacovino

Postby sharonbikes » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:20 pm

You have to love this! : )
sharonbikes

Postby Erbse » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:04 pm

All your comments made me curious. So funny. Even found something interesting:
"For why this work see the "sensory-specific satiety". It means is that no matter how much you like a food, the more you eat, the less you want any more of it.

One can probably lose quite a bit of weight by picking any single semi-reasonable whole food and eating only that single food for some period of time."

Sounds like MM.

But look at what he's saying here:
"but for me, I find more success when I cut the fat. I think I will find that after I reach my goal, that my maintainence range will be about 60-65% fat."
How miniscule must the portions be with so much fat in the diet?
Erbse
Erbse

Postby Waingapu » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:56 pm

stri8ed wrote:This is too funny. I just came across this 100+ page thread on a popular paleo forum, where the users are following a "potato diet" which is essentially the mcdougall diet.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread67137.html

That thread, already past 1,000 posts.

Plus the Paleo site noted here yesterday

http://freetheanimal.com/2012/12/i-like ... ideas.html

The low-carb and Paleo crowd are having a identity crisis.
Pasta and rice "diet hacks" are just around the corner

Another thread, another low-carb site all about doing a potato hack.
Almost 850 more posts about the potato hack miracle.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd ... ck-29.html
Last edited by Waingapu on Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waingapu

Postby f1jim » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:07 pm

After reading both links they can't even seem to agree on what to eat among themselves. It's rather ironic to see their arguments contrasted with ours. It appears our arguments tend to focus on quantity and balance, theirs seem to be arguments on the very basic questions of what to consume.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby Adrienne » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:51 pm

I briefly read through the links. I thought they were very entertaining and enlightening. Here are some of my favorite posts. They are from the LCF forum (from 3 separate people) but there's good stuff on the MDA forum too:

Man, there is definitely a mood-elevating component in this for me. I don't know whether it's potato chemicals or shifting out of LCHF. Speaking of which, I'm feeling an identity crisis coming on. I believe in everything Taubes, Phinney, and Volek write about, but I'm feeling fantastic on a pure potato diet. If anybody can help me out of this messy dilemma, I'm all ears.

and

I notice that sometimes on low carb some people are cranky, argumentative, short tempered, and pretty sharp-edged. Wonder if that's just them, or whether a few more carbs might elevate their mood level too.

and

scientist need to somehow put potatoes into a pill form!

Thanks for posting the links.
Adrienne

Postby JohnLarson » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:17 pm

Someone should start a new movement, Potato Paleo. It can be a whole food meal plan centered around potatoes with vegetables and fruits.

Because cavemen most likely did not drink or eat dairy, no dairy. I am pretty sure they did not have processed oil or even flours. It would be okay to allow meat, but only meat that was hunted with primitive weapons. Eggs found in the wild would be okay also.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

The McDougall Program is not a "diet," and it was not designed primarily for weight loss – however, loss of excess body fat naturally results as people regain their health. - Dr. John McDougall
JohnLarson

Postby JosephJacovino » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:18 pm

JohnLarson wrote:Someone should start a new movement, Potato Paleo. It can be a whole food meal plan centered around potatoes with vegetables and fruits.

Because cavemen most likely did not drink or eat dairy, no dairy. I am pretty sure they did not have processed oil or even flours. It would be okay to allow meat, but only meat that was hunted with primitive weapons. Eggs found in the wild would be okay also.

There is actually evidence of modern hunters in Papua new Guinea, etc. Who harvest wild Sago Palm and turn it into flour for long term storage. same with the Cassava root in South America. From what i hear, Cassava, Aka Tapioca flour is very nutrient poor and is basically starch. Often it forms the staple of formerly isolated tribes in the Amazon, even now.

Personally i hate the entire premise of the paleo diet, who cares what one group of people ate and continue to eat? Nutrition science has come a long way to show the health effects of foods without such Speculation and fantasies. The whole paleo diet is rife with appeals to nature, it almost reads like a comforting bedtime story, based off science that just "Sounds right" and appears to romanticise some far flung paradise lost of human antiquity.
JosephJacovino

Postby vgpedlr » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:17 pm

That was really funny!
I skimmed a few posts and couldn't believe the shock and awe people experienced. My favorite is when they wonder why they never heard of it, or that someone should write a book about it. Someone did write a book about it THIRTY YEARS AGO!
vgpedlr

Return to The Lounge