Greetings From Dr. Fuhrman

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Greetings From Dr. Fuhrman

Postby ParsleyPatch » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:55 pm

JohnAllenJAM wrote:Rest assured, that Dr.Fuhrman didn't call the fact that native people have existed on starches for thousands of years "silly", or the Starch Solution silly for that matter.

We really have to be careful about interpretations of things as a community. and surely there have been some (not all) very inaccurate stories flying around, emotionally driven, on all fronts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdxVfi632Xw

This video is from the 2006 Expo. At 6 mins., 30 seconds, Dr. McDougall says to the audience: "You've got to get this straight because I know a lot of you are confused. There are 1.73 billion Asians and not a single one of them is fat living on a diet based on rice.

"I went to Peru. The only fat people were working in restaurants feeding Americans. They (the Peruvians) are living on potatoes. You don't have to get all that sophisticated with all of these different little niche theories. A starch-based diet with fruits and vegetables has never failed a population of billions of people."

Furhman's response: "I think that's kind of silly."
Dr. McDougall's program is starch-based with the additions of fruits and vegetables. Nothing is easier than that. All the nutrients anyone could hope for are there. People stay with it because they don't walk around hungry, eating greens. When people continue to eat plenty of starches with fruits and vegetables, they get slim and healthy and stay that way. I don't know why some people insist on taking a simple concept and turning it into a quagmire of complexity.
One who is forever grateful to Dr. McDougall for showing me the way to optimal health!
ParsleyPatch

Postby jaysmetalart » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:17 am

JohnAllenJAM wrote:
DrFuhrman is exploring a whole new aspect of the way we are eating, and breaking new ground into high nutrient density eating, and its effects on detoxification, addictive food drives, health, disease reversal, aging, and longevity, in addition to weight loss; hence a High Nutrient Density diet style.

Every animal on this earth has a specific diet that keeps them fit and healthy, birds eat a specific diet as do deer and squirrel. So why do we need a "new aspect of the way we are eating"? I think John McDougall has shown us the specific diet that humans are supposed to eat, it is sad that we humans have lost our way, when it comes to understanding, what we were intended to consume for food. All of the health benefits and health issues that Dr. Fuhrman discusses, are broken down into individual issues, and it seems he has a unique answer for each issue. The starch solution addresses them same health benefits and health issues, and most of health issues are resolved with a starch based diet. It just too simple for some I guess. I believe that Dr. Fuhrman is using the the plant based diet approach to his own personal gain. The plant based diet works! So Dr. Fuhrman has a lot of happy customers, however I have seen the written words over and over about the ETL diet...It is expensive! Why does a simple diet require the constant monitoring and tweaking by Dr. Fuhrman? I can only see one reason...money.
When someone makes the issues simple, Dr. Fuhrman tries to make the same issues not so simple. After all he is a Doctor, and what do we know? Diet is not about science, it is more about common sense, and I believe that John McDougall has guided many people back to that common sense......Jay
jaysmetalart

Postby veggylvr » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:30 am

Are you also aware of the fact that there are whole other factions in the field of nutrition, such as the Naturally Nutrient Rich coalition, lead by the beef and dairy board? They've been promoting the nutrient dense "nutrient rich" campaign for years now, as something new since 2005 when the dietary guidelines focused on nutrient density as the cornerstone of nutrition.

Then, my question is, why is Dr. Fuhrman playing into the beef and dairy interests by recommending meat, even in small amounts?

That Dr. Fuhrman may have made what appeared to be antagonistic statements, was science-based and because of breaking new ground, not because he intended to be antagonistic. That was not the intent. I know this for fact. Call me on it if you like. It's just a new view things.

It seems like an old view of things to advocate that people need "some" meat in their diets to get enough nutrients. That’s the attitude that we’re up against all the time in transitioning people to a plant-based diet. Especially if one is concerned about preventing cancer and heart disease, and claims to be science-based, why advocate any degree of meat consumption? The science doesn't support this, and it's much more serious than allowing nuts or not.

I believe, a reason why Dr.Fuhrman puts vegetables at the base of his pyramid or promotes them in such large quantities on his plate, is simple... For example: when you make a salad, does it start with greens or potatoes? For most people it’s greens, because they are the most nutrient-rich foods, the lowest in calories and you can eat them in the largest volume without consuming excess calories.

That shouldn't start a fight between "greens or potatoes"! Should it?

It does if you imply that eating starches like “white rice or white potato” will cause diabetes. No one here takes issue with Dr. Fuhrman making greens the base of his pyramid. The only negative thing I’ve ever heard expressed here is that his approach leaves people hungrier than if they ate more starch. And we’ve often seen this in the people who come here after following Dr. Fuhrman and say they're much more satisfied, and therefore able to stick with it.

But we're not against his basic dietary approach. It's Dr. Fuhrman who has repeatedly made comments about Dr. McDougall’s approach, implying that it's nutritionally inadequate or possibly even detrimental.

I think he’s also fostered this antagonistic view on his board, which has been divisive.

Hopefully, Dr. Fuhrman has been humbled by all this, and maybe he didn’t realize how his comments came across to his peers. It’s great that he’s excited about his learning, but he needs to make sure he doesn’t get so carried away that he throws his esteemed colleagues under the bus. These doctors have been doing this a very long time, with great success, and they're also well aware of the science.

It’s almost like a teenager who thinks his parents don’t know anything, because he has all the “new” knowledge, so there’s the dismissive eye-rolling and comments (“that’s silly!”).

But again, I don’t see anything new in aligning with the meat and dairy industries, and their apologists, the low carb/paleo crowd. I wish Dr. Fuhrman would address why he is doing that.
veggylvr

Postby Adam1984 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:51 am

Dr.Fuhrman, on your blog and forum you give people the impression that
a diet like Dr.McDougall's is not nutrient dense enough. Interestingly, when I enter 1500 calories of a sweet potato based diet in CR-ON Meter it
shows that I am meeting over 100% of nearly all required micronutrient needs.
it's easy to say everything is taken out of context to place the responsibility on the reader, but clearly you do preach that potato based diets are inadequate. You cannot deny that.

Ok yes it's your responsibility to preach what you truly believe is the best diet , but that shouldn't be done by calling a nutrient dense adequate diet inadequate. You should study about all the micronutrients in sweet potatoes and then come tell me they aren't good enough.
people say they have to be motivated before
They do something. I say do it and the motivation
Will come.
-Dr.Oz
Adam1984

Postby JohnAllenJAM » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:17 am

ParsleyPatch wrote:
JohnAllenJAM wrote:Rest assured, that Dr.Fuhrman didn't call the fact that native people have existed on starches for thousands of years "silly", or the Starch Solution silly for that matter.

We really have to be careful about interpretations of things as a community. and surely there have been some (not all) very inaccurate stories flying around, emotionally driven, on all fronts.

This video is from the 2006 Expo. At 6 mins., 30 seconds, Dr. McDougall says to the audience: "You've got to get this straight because I know a lot of you are confused. There are 1.73 billion Asians and not a single one of them is fat living on a diet based on rice.

"I went to Peru. The only fat people were working in restaurants feeding Americans. They (the Peruvians) are living on potatoes. You don't have to get all that sophisticated with all of these different little niche theories. A starch-based diet with fruits and vegetables has never failed a population of billions of people."

Dr. McDougall's program is starch-based with the additions of fruits and vegetables. Nothing is easier than that. All the nutrients anyone could hope for are there. People stay with it because they don't walk around hungry, eating greens. When people continue to eat plenty of starches with fruits and vegetables, they get slim and healthy and stay that way. I don't know why some people insist on taking a simple concept and turning it into a quagmire of complexity.

No debate...

The "silly" comment, probably not Dr.Fuhrman's finest moment, especially since it left so much open to misinterpretation and seemed somewhat condescending. I believe he has apologized and for others. I'm not here to defend that. We all have our quirks.

Regarding the quagmire of complexity; clearly not everyone sees it that way, and do appreciate the new level of detail, and a new way of seeing things that many of us enjoy learning and understanding.

If you would like to keep it simpler for yourself. Do what's best for you. I would. I like simple too.

That doesn't mean what Dr.Fuhrman is doing is any less valuable. He's contributing to nutritional science in much the same way Dr. McDougall has. I have been reading incredibly detailed scientific posts from Dr.M for years on why a plant based diet and he has made the case for why eating plant based / vegan is the way to go, as good or better than anyone, and as a pioneer nonetheless, and it works.

Dr.F, also a pioneer, is breaking new ground of understanding, starting with the nutrient density... of how we eat, the power of micronutrients, phytochemicals, antioxidants and their effects on everything from the hunger drive to cancer to longevity... He's a nutritional researcher and a doctor with an emphasis on disease reversal and has been successful. This is what they do and thousands of people enjoy it too.

As I mentioned earlier.
They are both nutrient rich, just different diet styles that probably appeal to different people at different stages of transitioning to and learning about a plant based / plant strong (predominant) / nutrient rich and / or vegan diet.
JohnAllenJAM

Postby Lasko77 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:19 am

JohnAllenJAM wrote:
ParsleyPatch wrote:

No debate...

The "silly" comment, probably not Dr.Fuhrman's finest moment, especially since it left so much open to misinterpretation and seemed somewhat condescending. I believe he has apologized and for others. I'm not here to defend that. We all have our quirks.

Regarding the quagmire of complexity; clearly not everyone sees it that way, and do appreciate the new level of detail, and a new way of seeing things that many of us enjoy learning and understanding.

If you would like to keep it simpler for yourself. Do what's best for you. I would. I like simple too.

That doesn't mean what Dr.Fuhrman is doing is any less valuable. He's contributing to nutritional science in much the same way Dr. McDougall has. I have been reading incredibly detailed scientific posts from Dr.M for years on why a plant based diet and he has made the case for why eating plant based / vegan is the way to go, as good or better than anyone, and as a pioneer nonetheless, and it works.

Dr.F, also a pioneer, is breaking new ground of understanding, starting with the nutrient density... of how we eat, the power of micronutrients, phytochemicals, antioxidants and their effects on everything from the hunger drive to cancer to longevity... He's a nutritional researcher and a doctor with an emphasis on disease reversal and has been successful. This is what they do and thousands of people enjoy it too.

As I mentioned earlier.
They are both nutrient rich, just different diet styles that probably appeal to different people at different stages of transitioning to and learning about a plant based / plant strong (predominant) / nutrient rich and / or vegan diet.

JohnAllen, I agree wholeheartedly! Well stated.
Lasko77

Postby Veg4life » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:42 am

Dear Dr. Fuhrman,

I am a member if your paid forums and I have a question. When you refer to your colleagues as "the blind leading the blind" how is that scientific and not personal? If you need me to cut and paste your exact comments here I am happy to. There is also a thread where Jeff Novick is referred to as "a buffoon who is on Dr. McDougll's payroll" and Dr. McDougall is continually being referred to in comments by you as "ego-based". If you consider these scientific comments, I would sure hate to see it when you do get personal. I would greatly sppreciate a response by you Dr. Fuhrman.
Veg4life

Postby erin » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:08 am

As I see it the problem is not that Dr. Fuhrman disagrees with McDougall, (Esselstyn, Campbell, Barnard, Ornish, Pritikin, Kempner, and all verifiable disease prevention and reversal in the scientific literature), but rather that he has outright ridiculed, insulted, and disrespected them/it.

This is the core problem that must be addressed and rectified in order to put this issue to sleep in a way that will allow everyone to move on.

~ Erin
erin

Postby patty » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:19 am

When you limit starch, by eating too many low calorie dense foods and higher end calorie dense foods you are like a dog chasing its tail. That has been my own personal experience. I am not surprised at Dr. Fuhrman's attitude, he is still chasing:) I am sure Jeff Novick or Dr. McDougall isn't ether. Once he begins to talk with his walk with his money in his mouth will he experience a gneiss of nirvana.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby Veg4life » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:33 am

erin wrote:As I see it the problem is not that Dr. Fuhrman disagrees with McDougall, (Esselstyn, Campbell, Barnard, Ornish, Pritikin, Kempner, and all verifiable disease prevention and reversal in the scientific literature), but rather that he has outright ridiculed, insulted, and disrespected them/it.

This is the core problem that must be addressed and rectified in order to put this issue to sleep in a way that will allow everyone to move on.

~ Erin

amen, sister! I don't believe for a second that Dr. Fuhrman is truly sorry about all of his rude and inflammatory remarks about his colleagues, he is just sorry be got caught. Crocodile tears.
Veg4life

Postby veggylvr » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:37 am

Dr.F, also a pioneer, is breaking new ground of understanding, starting with the nutrient density... of how we eat, the power of micronutrients, phytochemicals, antioxidants and their effects on everything from the hunger drive to cancer to longevity... He's a nutritional researcher and a doctor with an emphasis on disease reversal and has been successful.

It's incorrect to call him a researcher. Dr. Campbell is a researcher. Dr. Fuhrman has published only one clinical study, which he has since distanced himself from, even though the study was of his own patients, and he provided all the charts and raw data. Still, he was apparently unaware of the accurate weight loss results, and number of participants who actually lost weight after 2 years in his study, and he doesn't take any responsibility for this.

So, it's generous to call him a researcher. A pioneer? I don't know. He may have coined the phrase "nutritarian" (or whatever), but that doesn't make him a pioneer. Many great plant-based doctors before him, such as Pritikin, have contributed much more to research and understanding.

The food is all essentially the same - whole fruits and veggies. If you eat them, you will get enough nutrients. Some may need to know the exact mechanism why, and be absolutely, positively assured that they're getting every phytonutrient or antioxident necessary, and for those people, Dr. McDougall, as well as the other plant-based doctors, provide plenty of scientific evidence and research.

Jeff Novick is a wonderful source of detailed scientific analysis here, but, as veg4life mentioned, he is denigrated on Dr. Fuhrman's board, so maybe the Fuhrmanites don't quite realize that we, too, are privy to the same "groundbreaking, pioneering" scientific information.

Why does it have to be so egocentric? We all have the science - plant-based diets work! People who shove terms like "pioneering" and "groundbreaking" in your face are usually the most insecure and least credible.
veggylvr

Postby veggiesusie » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:10 am

I am new to this board and I am a member of Dr fuhrman's member site.
I would like to join in on the discussion to correct some of the incorrect information I am seeing on this board, if I may.
Dr Fuhrman has stated he regards Jeff Novick as a close friend
Dr fuhrman never called Jeff novick a buffoon, A member on the discussion board made that remark. When Dr Fuhrman found out about the comment, he was not pleased and posted this comment in reply, I posted the quote below..

If you are going to extract comments for Dr Fuhrman's member site, I kindly ask you, please don't distort the facts.
thank you

This is what DR Fuhrman wrote in response to the derogatory remark.

I have never made a derogatory comment about Jeff. However, certainly I have pointed out some errors in statements he has made, and some that appeared to have distorted my recommendations unfairly and inaccurately, so it could be negatively critiqued. Such an example is the "nut-based" diet comment,

I may not agree with everything Jeff has said or written, but we do agree on the vast majority of things and I think he gives people excellent nutritional info.

Please do not post any more on this topic if your intention is to stir up disagreements and controversy. He is still my friend and I want to keep it that way.
Last edited by Dr. Fuhrman; 01-05-2011 at 02:55 PM.
Last edited by veggiesusie on Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
veggiesusie

Postby Lasko77 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:51 am

veggiesusie, I also remember on a few occasions that Dr. Fuhrman gets very mad when mean things were said about Jeff Novick. He has always referred to Jeff as a good friend. So many things are taken out of context and a lot of people seem to be acting on emotions.

I hope this all can be worked out in the best way. Forgive and forget because nobody is perfect.
Lasko77

Postby patty » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:10 pm

Putting principles before personalities Dr Fuhrman program undermines Dr McDougalls. There is a difference between cash register honesty and emotional.

Aloha, patty just saying
patty

Postby veggiesusie » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:25 pm

I would like to make another correction, if I may.
It has been stated many times, over and over on this board that Dr Fuhrman has published only one scientific paper, According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joel_Fuhrman Dr Fuhrman has published 6 scientific papers,

With no disrespect directed toward DR Cambell, Everyone can make a mistake.
Dr Cambell stated incorrectly that DR Fuhrman has only written one scientific paper.

But to this day, he has refused to acknowledge anything wrong with the paper that I co-authored. Indeed, he continued to use this paper (his only paper) to raise funding from the public for his research.

Thank you

Dr Fuhrman's 6 scientific papers are listed here.
Dunaief D, Gui-shuang Y, Fuhrman J, et al. Glycemic and cardiovascular parameters improved in type 2 diabetes with the high nutrient density diet. Presented at the 5th IANA (International Academy on Nutrition and Aging) meeting July 26 & 27, 2010 Hyatt Regency Tamaya Resort & Spa 1300 Tuyuna Trail Santa Ana Pueblo, NM, USA J Nutr Health Aging 2010;14:500.
Fuhrman J, Sarter B, Glaser D, Acocella S. Changing perceptions of hunger on a high nutrient density diet. Nutrition Journal 2010, 9:51 (7 November 2010)
Fuhrman J, Sarter B, Calabro DJ. Fasting in Remission of Autoimmune Disease. Alternative Therapies 2001;8(4):1-3.
Fuhrman J, Selzer ME, Kaplan FS. A shoulder-facial synkinesis in normal human subjects. University of Pennsylvania Orthopaedic Journal 1991;7:43-45.
Sarter BS, Fuhrman J. Effect of a high nutrient density diet on long-term weight loss: a retrospective chart review. Alternative Therapies 2008;14(3):48-53.

Wikipedia has not been updated, here is Dr Fuhrman's latest paper

Dunaief, D., Fuhrman, J., Dunaief, J. and Ying, G. (2012) Glycemic and cardiovascular parameters improved in type 2 diabetes with the high nutrient density (HND) diet. Open Journal of Preventive Medicine, 2, 364-371.doi: 10.4236/ojpm.2012.23053.
veggiesusie

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge