Keep these forums positive and take the high road

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Keep these forums positive and take the high road

Postby Ltldogg » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:45 pm

Hi Everyone,

***DISCLAIMER*** I am not the best at putting words to text and expressing myself in proper context. So please know up front this topic is meant to be a positive reminder about the benefits of Dr. McDougall, these forums and a plant-based diet! ***END***

Without hijacking any one thread or pointing out specific posts or threads, I want to express my concern for the recent trend of these forums towards the negative and immature.

I have no problem with discussions of data and facts, arguments for and against, etc, but please do so in a mature and constructive manner. Bashing, inflammatory remarks and gossip/conjecture are neither positive nor helpful AND they are generally breaking the forum rules.

Every day new people visit these forums for help and first impressions can make a difference. So please, follow the forum's rules, respect everyone and remember we are here because of the positive health and life that Dr. McDougall (and others) and a whole food, plant-based diet promote.

:-)

Sincerely,
Ltldogg
Ltldogg

Re: Keep these forums positive and take the high road

Postby Denise » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:01 pm

Nicely said Ltldogg! I visit for the positive support and great ideas we share to support our personal journey with this WOE.

Cheers
Denise

Postby jaysmetalart » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:14 pm

I agree.....its getting old real quick....Jay
jaysmetalart

Postby Sistina » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:46 pm

wow, this community is so much better than other ones I've seen!
Sistina

Postby txveggie » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:50 pm

I am so tired of all of this as well. Funny that the people who start these threads never posted here before.
txveggie

Postby Lynn M » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:04 pm

***DISCLAIMER*** I am not the best at putting words to text and expressing myself in proper context. So please know up front this topic is meant to be a positive reminder about the benefits of Dr. McDougall, these forums and a plant-based diet! ***END***

Not so... you did an excellent job.
Well stated and excellent reminder!
Lynn M

Postby Debbie » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:37 pm

I personally like knowing who I can trust and whose information I can share. On any given day we can touch people outside of here with good truthful information. I think that's important. I am thankful for all the info shared, in times passed and current.
"It's the food" It's always been the food.
Debbie

Postby Daffodil » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:54 am

I've been in here on and off for several years. I came back again recently and have had a few newer people jump on my posts like I don't know what I am saying.
Then I'm wondering, "Who the heck are these people?" I think some people just like to argue.
There are a lot of new "faces" since I was last in here. I like to help whenever possible and share my 2 cents. I will continue to do so and try to avoid the negative nellies. I am also very familiar with this plan and way of eating, having been doing it since 2000 when I bought my first book, the Maximum weight loss plan. Despite a few setbacks over the years, I still keep on keeping on.
-Amy in NV
-------------
Daffodil

Postby elsdon » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:10 am

Hi

I am a new boy in more ways than one due to the things that I have learned from JMcD in the last six months.

Basically I have gone from a miserable being with an unstable swollen frame to a stable and confident person - and also cured some very worrying conditions which I would like to share with you - thereby adding to the more responsible posts!!

The first thing was that I had water retention in both ankles (last 10 years). Of course this has not gone completely but already my ankles have stopped being swollen - and my flesh bounces back more quickly when pressed.

Secondly my gum disease is clearing up - I have been plagued with this for years and did not know why. Nothing else ever worked.

Thirdly the skin condition on both hands has cleared - all of the skin on both hands has regenerated.

Fourthly the bloating in my lower legs and skin redness is gone.

Then - I can move around much more freely and run up stairs more quickly - my endurance is better.

No more pain in legs - I can walk again and now able to walk 10 miles with no ill effects

Jesus of Nazareth performed a miracle when he made someone get up from his bed and walk.

How should we define my improvements?

I definitely intend to improve my compliance with this way of life as I have young children and wish to see them blossom into adulthood.

I do not know what made me stumble upon this glorious redemption just when I needed it but so grateful and cannot thank GOD AND JOHN (my saviours) enough and take every opportunity to pass on the message to others. And they are listening.

Because there seems to be some arguments amongst people re how and what to eat - I will just remind folks that this is important and meaningful to people who have been injured unknowingly by eating what is out there - a lot of which is not beneficial. This site should be helpful to these injured persons as it is a way to heal them.
For the others - who may be in full health and are just looking for a quick fix for the sake of vanity please bear this in mind and try not to argue for other ridiculous diet regimes (for example paleo!, atkins or dairy!)

John McD has addressed all of these things and argued the case against them with their instigators for years. If you promote these farces then you are showing your misunderstanding to the world. Please refer to the many newsletters for a better understanding.

Elsdon Ward
Last edited by elsdon on Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
elsdon

Postby Nettie » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:15 am

Ltldogg wrote:Without hijacking any one thread or pointing out specific posts or threads, I want to express my concern for the recent trend of these forums towards the negative and immature.

I have no problem with discussions of data and facts, arguments for and against, etc, but please do so in a mature and constructive manner. Bashing, inflammatory remarks and gossip/conjecture are neither positive nor helpful AND they are generally breaking the forum rules.

I think the recent discussions regarding Dr. Fuhrman's published study were, for the most part, reasoned, fact-based, and civil. To me, the posts were some of the most restrained and polite of many in recent memory.

This forum is definitely a cut above the others!

Nettie
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always be what you've always been.

Star_McDougaller

Nettie

Postby tricia » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:14 pm

As a long time Vegetarian since 1973, McDougall since 1985 and enjoying other viewpoints such as Furhman I find the the recent posts difficult to read. I do want to know the truth about studies and food plans but calling someone a "liar" does not engender trust in the posted material. I really appreciate Dr Esselstyn and Dr Campbell's post to clarify these issues although I still believe issues such as these are more complicated than can be addressed in our forum.
Basically I do think this forum is far and above more civil than some I have seen. But I do wish we could discuss without character attacks.
Mostly lurker Tricia
tricia

Postby Lois » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:26 pm

I agree with Tricia 100%.
Lois
Lois

Postby Birdy » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:55 pm

Ltldogg, I could not agree more with what you so eloquently wrote:
"Without hijacking any one thread or pointing out specific posts or threads, I want to express my concern for the recent trend of these forums towards the negative and immature.

Every day new people visit these forums for help and first impressions can make a difference. So please, follow the forum's rules, respect everyone and remember we are here because of the positive health and life that Dr. McDougall (and others) and a whole food, plant-based diet promote. "

Thank you for your post!
"The program is essentially cost and risk free." ~ Dr. John McDougall
Birdy

Postby Glenn50 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:59 am

I guess I was lucky that I found the McDougall forum last October when everyone seemed laid back and happy that they were succeeding with this plant based lifestyle.
If I had discovered it these last few weeks I probably would have given the whole thing away and gone Paleo.

Folks seem rather preoccupied about Dr Fuhrman, Dr Ornish, Dr Greger and others and I am worried that perhaps the direction of a few of the posts are becoming narrow, negative, and nitpicky.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Glenn50

Postby veggylvr » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:35 am

I suppose I may have been one who got a little carried away. I regret using the term "liar". I could've toned it down to "dishonest" or "less than truthful", but, really, what else can you call it?

I'll admit I don't get this forum at times. There are people here who will jump on others for going slightly off plan. Yet, when it's quite plainly revealed that a doctor is making false claims and denigrating his esteemed colleagues, including our own Dr. McDougall, so many urge peace and tolerance.

Have we become so used to people cheating to get ahead in this culture that it doesn't register any moral outrage?
veggylvr

Next

Return to The Lounge