Still nuts

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re:The facts about Dr Fuhrman's Unsupported Claims

Postby RobertaRussell » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:21 pm

This post is copied here because the discussion started in this topic.

A Look at the difference between Dr. Campbell's analysis of the data and Fuhrman's claims

The study in question, A High Nutrient Density Diet for Long-term Weight Loss ALTERNATIVE THERAPIES, May/Jun 2008, VOL. 14, NO. 3 53, by Drs. Sarter, Campbell and Fuhrman (Dr Campbell's name was eventually removed at his request and you won't find it in the on-line journal) has been Dr. Joel Fuhrman's basis for a series of misleading claims that all of the patients in his study lost an average of 53 pounds and kept it off for 2 years or more. Dr. T. Colin Campbell has made many attempts to correct these claims since he learned of them.

I am not a researcher, but I follow and study weight loss research findings. I was following up on Dr. Fuhrman's long term weight-loss outcome study because he had made some claims of success on my video interview years before about the very patients in the retrospective study. Those claims seemed out of realistic range and I was eager to see the follow-up data.

But after reviewing the raw data last year, I told Drs. Fuhrman and Sarter that I had found that their published report of an average 53 pound loss for the 19 patients remaining at the end of 2 years was wrong. I discovered this extraordinary error by calculating the average start and end weights for each of the patients from the raw data that Dr. Sarter gave me and arrived at a corrected average loss of 34.25 pounds at 2 years for the now 17 or 18 patients still remaining. We were all amazed.

However, the correction process was slow going. Eventually, I called Dr. Campbell whom I had met when I interviewed him for my Manhattan cable program, Lifetalk with Roberta Russell, years before. (I met Dr. Fuhrman when I interviewed him for the same show at another time.)

Dr Sarter, with Dr. Campbell's continued urging, eventually published an addendum changing the weight loss from 53 to about 37 pounds, a number that also reflected her decision to disqualify some patients after publication. She did not, however, recalculate the reported physiological changes, such as cholesterol, even though that data suffered from the same error of not comparing the end scores with each patient's starting scores. Nevertheless, there is no substantive data dispute at this time.

Dr. Fuhrman's ongoing claims that all of his patients in the study lost an average of 53 pounds without any regain in 2 years that are contradicted by published fact are creating the problem now. The solution is in the facts.

"Sunlight is the best disinfectant." Louis Brandeis

See and Hear Fuhrman's Claims Right Here:

After reading these 2 transcripts you can go to http://www.drfuhrman.com/events/default.aspxas of now at least and listen for yourself.

To follow are transcripts of Dr. Fuhrman's podcast interviews when his study was hot off the press. He is publicly making untrue claims about his patient's weight loss record in this published study. (an audio podcast link is currently at the end available as of 8-27-2012)

Radio Podcast May 1, 2008 (contact vegan.com)

Mr. (Eric) Marcus: Thousands of people have taken up you program over the years. Can you tell us the typical results somebody can expect when they get on your plan?

Dr. Fuhrman: “…We’ve even completed a study where we followed 100 consecutive people following the plan and the average person lost 53 pounds which was more weight loss than any other program ever tested. But I think the interesting thing was that even ... 2 years after the study nobody had gained any weight and as follow-up on those people after that period they still continued to lose and didn’t gain weight back."

Radio Podcast June 2008

Dr. Oz: …”You are making some drastic claims with regard to losing weight in the book. In addition, you are going past that and talking about reversing disease. Walk us through that scenario.”

Dr. Fuhrman: …I just had a recent study published this month in a peer-reviewed medical journal where they followed 63 people following the diet plan and they lost more weight than any study in history and they kept it off. They followed them for 2 years. None of the participants gained any weight back and that was the major difference between other diet plans.”

When asked he added that this study was published in the Journal of Alternative Therapies in Health & Medicine
----
Dr Campbell's Statement

Compare Dr. Fuhrman's interview claims above with an analysis of the data of the results of the very same study taken from a post by Dr. T. Colin Campbell here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=31014&start=45 (Once at that site go a few screens down for Dr. Campbell's full text.)

" Dr. Fuhrman exaggerated in a very public place that this study resulted in "the most sustained weight loss ever recorded in a medical study” (or “in medical history"). This is not factual. Even though Fuhrman was claiming that all of the 56 subjects had lost weight and had kept it off for two years, only 4 had done so. He also said that average weight loss for these subjects was 53 pounds, but upon my calculation of the raw data, it was 34 pounds and then this was only for the individuals who complied. His very public claim that there were 65 patients is false; there were 56 patients. On another very public occasion, he said that there were 100 patients, not the 56 or even the 65 (he was NOT referring to some additional patients beyond the study, as he once claimed)."
(excerpt from Campbell post above)

However you interpret the data with or without mistakes, most patients dropped out in the first year, leaving only a handful of patients who had not been gaining weight between year 1 and year 2. The average weight loss of the 17 or 18 patients that were left does not reflect the average of the whole group of the 100, 65 or 56 patients who were in the study, depending where you want to start counting. There is no way of knowing from the raw data whether the average weight loss of 100, 65 or 56 people that started would even represent a loss at all.

The presented evidence in whatever form does not support Dr Fuhrman's repeated claims now seen in the widely viewed documentary Fat Sick and Nearly Dead (at 1 hour and 7 minutes).

Dr. Fuhrman's claims are not true, but many people seeing Dr. Fuhrman's medical degree and his advertised association with Dr. Campbell, who is one of the most highly regarded researcher's on nutrition in the world, will believe it is and will act accordingly.

Roberta Russell
Last edited by RobertaRussell on Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RobertaRussell

Re: Re:The facts about Dr Fuhrman's Unsupported Claims

Postby Nutrition411 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:01 am

Have you read Dr. Fuhrman's response. I have attached the part about Campbell below.

1) He has offered to discuss this in both public and private and Dr. Campbell refuses.

2) He was not responsible for data analysis and it was corrected after the errors was found. Does Dr. Campbell bears some responsibility as the experienced researcher for not reviewing a study he put his name on.

Dr. Fuhrman's remarks are quoted out of context and time. He only referred to the them before the errors were found and not after it was corrected. Please reread his response.

"I have offered to discuss his concerns and correct his erroneous misinterpretation of events many times. Many others in our community have offered to the same, and open a healing dialog. Unfortunately Dr. Campbell has refused all of us and has persisted in personally attacking me. The study in question was a collection of patient’s charts from my office many years ago. The initial number of consecutive charts I transferred to the researchers was 100, then they narrowed them down first to 62 and then to 56 using various inclusion criteria, so the numbers change, and then even fewer that continued for the full two years. Not only did I have nothing to do with the data collection and statistical tabulation of those results, but Dr. Campbell had the access to and maybe even an obligation to confirm those numbers and calculations, not me. That was certainly not my role in the study. When an error in the criteria for inclusion came up, many years later, it changed from the n of 19 to 18 at two year follow up, it still showed all but one person had significant weight loss with a mean weight loss of 37.6. The lead researcher from the University of San Diego took responsibility for the error and wrote a correction to the journal and also stated, “Therefore the conclusions of the article remain as originally stated, being that the high nutrient density diet has the potential for leading to significant and sustained weight loss and reduction in cardiac risk.” Dr. Campbell then removed his name from the study. My report of an average 53 pounds of weight loss was consistent with the results of the study, until the error was found, and since that calculation error was reported I have never made such a claim again and removed all reference to it, in my control. Dr Campbell’s inflammatory statements insinuating academic fraud are 100 percent unjustified and wrong. I was not involved in the calculations and numerical data and had nothing to do with them (I only supplied my patient charts to the researchers). I also had nothing to do with Dr. Campbell’s name being used in the movie mentioned and did not even know that his name was visible there until reading it here now. I was not consulted on what they used or did not use in that movie, I just did my part. He is incorrect on numerous other points above as well. Certainly, I did not intend to offend him or anyone else."

[quote="RobertaRussell"]This post is copied here because the discussion started in this topic.

A Look at the difference between Dr. Campbell's analysis of the data and Fuhrman's claims
Nutrition411

Re: Still nuts

Postby veggylvr » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:05 pm

Not only did I have nothing to do with the data collection and statistical tabulation of those results, but Dr. Campbell had the access to and maybe even an obligation to confirm those numbers and calculations, not me.

Seriously? It was Dr. Campbell's responsibility to confirm the numbers and calculations for Dr. Fuhrman's own study?! A study Fuhrman provided all the data for and simply asked Campbell, as a professional courtesy, to play a secondary role?

These were Dr. Fuhrman's patients! How could he not know that the majority dropped out and only 17 or 18 were left? How could he not know how much weight loss they actually maintained? Are we really asked to believe that he went on for years afterwards unaware of the truth yet publicly claiming that 100 or 65 or 56 patients had this incredible, unprecedented weight loss?

What is worse - that he didn't know the results of his own study or that, in the absence of knowing, he simply made up numbers?

And why should Dr. Campbell be expected to sit down and "discuss this"? He knows when he has been misled and his good name misused. He's published countless studies and collaborated with many other doctors and researchers and certainly understands what should have happened here, and why Dr. Fuhrman's conduct was unacceptable. There's really nothing to discuss. Dr. Fuhrman could only resolve this with a public apology to Dr. Campbell.
veggylvr

Postby esselstyn » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:22 pm

The present Fuhrman flap is an embarrassing and distasteful chapter in the journey to healthy plant based nutrition brought on entirely by Dr. Fuhrman himself who has a compulsion to denigrate his colleagues and or their science. The repetitious nature of his attacks indicates he is insensitive to his own behavior and unaware of what he is doing to hurt himself in the eyes of his colleagues or the public.

By way of contrast, when the chairman of a leading corporation was questioned on how he had become so successful and the recipient of so many awards, he replied, "There are no limits to how far and how high you can go, if you are willing to give credits to others."

Caldwell B. Essesltyn, Jr., M.D.
esselstyn

Postby ParsleyPatch » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:59 pm

Dr. Esselstyn commented on the other thread of this topic and I just want to duplicate my input here as well:
Yet another high honor to be on the same forum as Dr. Esselstyn, as we are with Dr. Campbell and Dr. McDougall. Thank you all for taking the time to let us know you are there and that you care. It should be apparent how many of us do, too.
One who is forever grateful to Dr. McDougall for showing me the way to optimal health!
ParsleyPatch

Postby Wild4Stars » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:38 pm

esselstyn wrote:The present Fuhrman flap is an embarrassing and distasteful chapter in the journey to healthy plant based nutrition brought on entirely by Dr. Fuhrman himself who has a compulsion to denigrate his colleagues and or their science. The repetitious nature of his attacks indicates he is insensitive to his own behavior and unaware of what the is doing to hurt himself in the eyes of his colleagues or the public.

By way of contrast, when the chairman of a leading corporation was questioned on how he had become so successful and the recipient of so many awards, he replied, "There are no limits to how far and how high you can go, if you are willing to give credits to others."

Caldwell B. Essesltyn, Jr., M.D.

We need a "like" button on posts like these. Thank you.
"If your lifestyle doesn't control your body, your body will eventually control your lifestyle." Ern Baxter
Wild4Stars

Previous

Return to The Lounge