"Fragrant" gas...

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

"Fragrant" gas...

Postby LauraVeg » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:51 pm

(I know it's not a pleasant topic, but it's been on my mind for a long time..)

Dr. McDougall says that animal products are high in sulphur, and that is what causes the bad odor in flatulence. He says you won't have that problem on a plant-based diet. I have done both McDougall (strict MWL) and a very low carb diet of meat, eggs and just a few green vegetables, and I have found exactly the opposite to be true. I know from searching the forum that others have had the same problem on McDougall.

Why would Dr. McDougall make this claim?

(I couldn't find Dr. McDougall's quotes on this just now, but I did find a similar statement by Jeff, here: http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=8947)
A healthy diet will not cause "smelly" gas. However, foods/diets that are higher in protein and/or fat will.

This is just not true. Whenever I'm eating McDougall (and on my short foray into Fuhrman) the smell was SO bad my family couldn't be in the same room with me.
LauraVeg

Re: "Fragrant" gas...

Postby John McDougall » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:06 pm

Why would plants in the bowels smell worse than animal tissues?

Why would putrafacation (decomposing of animal foods) smell better than fermentation of carbohydrates? Makes no sense.

My observation is our gas smells better. Maybe others would like to weight in.

The other thing to consider is you have something else wrong - like bleeding in the bowels produces foul smells.

John McDougall, MD
John McDougall
Site Admin

Postby LauraVeg » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:16 pm

Hey, Dr. M! Thank you so much for replying!

I have no problem with bleeding in the bowels. I had my stool tested in January as part of my health insurance company's regular physical exam.

I don't think it's just me, because I did a search of the forums a few months ago and found others (one a regular poster, but I can't remember now who it was) with the same problem.

I don't know why it should be true, but I can eat meat all day and little else and have no problem with stinky gas. A couple of days on plant-based and I'm clearing rooms single-handedly, lol.
LauraVeg

Postby Theodore » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:57 pm

I personally have had no problem in the cutting department since being on Dr McDougall's fine eating plan.

From what you're saying, it sounds like you're alternating your diet. One day meat. The next day starch-based. Is this correct. And if so, have you made Dr McDougall aware of this. This may be an important factor.
Never eat anything that has an ass.
Theodore

Postby LauraVeg » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:11 pm

Theodore wrote:From what you're saying, it sounds like you're alternating your diet. One day meat. The next day starch-based. Is this correct.

Oh, no. I've done both more than once, but I never stayed on either for less than a month at a time and it's usually about three months.

Theodore wrote:...have you made Dr McDougall aware of this. This may be an important factor.

He knows now...he just responded to me personally, above. :-D
Last edited by LauraVeg on Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LauraVeg

Postby ETeSelle » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:36 pm

Yeah, I think it smells MUCH better. People who eat meat stink, honestly.
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby LauraVeg » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:34 pm

debbie wrote:Is it possible that this stems from the issue you think you have with some starches? Have you tried reintroducing one starch at a time to find the culprit? I think it was Buns who said she had bad gas for almost a year and still has problems if she eat too many beans, so the transition could just take you longer, depending on how much damage you have to fix.

Arent you celiac? If so, remove all the grains for a bit, no rice or oatmeal and see if that is your issue. There are several people who have said that even though they eat certified gluten free oats they still have significant problems with the oats and therefor just dont eat them.

I have just begun isolating the starches, beginning with white potatoes. And I never eat beans, because I knew they caused problems even before McDougall.

Still, if animal products are the cause of stinky gas, as Dr. McDougall says, why would I have that problem on McDougall and Fuhrman, but not Atkins?
LauraVeg

Postby LauraVeg » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:36 pm

ETeSelle wrote:People who eat meat stink, honestly.

Well, I am a living example of someone who does NOT stink - honestly - on meat. Yet I do stink, and AWFULLY BAD, on McDougall.

Do a google search for "stinky vegans" or "stinky vegan farts". There will be thousands of results.
LauraVeg

Postby Suey » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:44 pm

Goodness gracious, what a foul topic!!

Ha ha ha.....no, seriously, I agree with others that, generally speaking, the meat-eaters produce much more foul smelling gas. Of course, there are some plant foods (onions, cabbage, undercooked beans, etc.) that can produce foul smelling gas. And, as Debbie mentioned, gluten intolerance can contribute to the gas. Also, intestinal parasites can produce some major foul smelling gas...I had an experience with that. It just seemed that everything I ate resulted in a very unpleasant gaseous outcome.

Please don't give up eating the McDougall way...it's better for you, better for animals and better for the environment.
Suey

Postby LauraVeg » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:05 pm

I agree that maybe some individual problem I have may be contributing to my "stinky" problem on McDougall. But why does everyone ignore the fact that I (and others) have NO stinky problem when eating meat?

I don't understand the mechanism here, but it is still true that meat does NOT cause stinky gas. Perhaps it does in the diet of "mixed" eaters...meaning those who eat the SAD. But then you couldn't really pinpoint any one thing, could you, since their diet is a mix of animal protein and starch.

BTW, has anyone yet googled "stinky vegan farts"? That should put an end to the idea that the problem is caused by animal products.
Last edited by LauraVeg on Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LauraVeg

Postby LauraVeg » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:07 pm

Suey wrote:Please don't give up eating the McDougall way...it's better for you, better for animals and better for the environment.

I won't. I agree that McDougall is best, which is why I'm still trying, despite numerous setbacks.
LauraVeg

Postby LauraVeg » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:40 pm

debbie wrote:Today, you cant tell when I have peed or pooped. There just is no odor.

That's how it is for me on very low carb.

debbie wrote:I havent googled vegan stinky farts but maybe its a similar thing.

If you do, you'll find it's not very subjective. It's bad, lol.

debbie wrote:A mix of high fats, faux meats, and other carbs that cause them to stink.

That may very well be true. However, it still puts the lie to the "animal products (and not plants) cause stinky gas" trope.
LauraVeg

Postby healthyvegan » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:53 pm

Garlic and Onions are my culprits. They make me smell like a sewer. I said before that Kombucha helps the problem. My gf gets me a Kombucha when ever she brings home food that might have garlic or onions.

I work with a lot of construction people right now who eat crap off food trucks and as smelly as I am they smell like dead rotting animals.
mrmrsvegan.com free whole starch low fat cookbook #wslf
healthyvegan

Postby afreespirit » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:58 pm

LauraVeg have you tried adding a probiotic?

http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2005nl/ ... 800pro.htm

Maybe your intestinal flora is "confused" by switching back and forth from meat to McD and back.

In all sincerity, my own experience only substantiates that of other posters in this thread: El Stinko on meat and SAD, Florence Flower on McD. It is marked and noticeable, trust me.

Something else, some unknown factor, has to be going on with you--? Not sure I put much credence in random Google searches for stinky vegans such as you suggest.
Lauraveg wrote: However, it still puts the lie to the "animal products (and not plants) cause stinky gas" trope.

Not by my logic.

Good luck. :)
afreespirit

Postby LauraVeg » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:05 pm

Thanks, afreespirit. I went back to McDougall today, with a probiotic supplement, "GNC Super Probiotic Complex". We'll see if that makes a difference.

I still question, though, not why my gas stinks on McDougall, but why it DOESN'T on meat. According to everything I've read here, it's the sulphur in animal products that causes the smell. Clearly, based on my experience, that is not true.
LauraVeg

Next

Return to The Lounge