Eat to Live is driving me crazy!

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Eat to Live is driving me crazy!

Postby CHEF AJ » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:21 pm

Pacificfords wrote:Love these comments. :D It makes me think ~ I wonder how much time I have spent "talking" about eating right over the years versus actually doing it. :nod:

This may be the best thing I have ever read on any board!

Thanks!

Chef AJ
Love & Kale,
Chef AJ
www.EatUnprocessed.com
www.HealthyTasteOnline.com
CHEF AJ

Postby patty » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:10 pm

GeoffreyLevens wrote:
Quote:
I like the thought of living on 3.38 cents a day:)

viewtopic.php?t=10519
Quote:
Total for the day, $5.75

Quote:
Total Price for the day $3.68

So dollars not cents, makes a lot more sense (hmmm, nice homonym)! 3.38 cents just would not compute, dollars does.

It can actually be done for under $3/day. Remember, the above numbers were based on "ease" and "convenience". However, with a little bulk and seasonal buying, planning ahead, a little more prep, it can easily be done for under $3/day.

In Health
Jeff

Aloha Jeff

Just to let you know I picked up Dr. Shintani's "Hawaiian Diet" from your acknowledgement in your _Calorie Density_ dvd and actually started to give it out. I work as a Home Health Aide and my Client is over looking it and making notes for me. It is so beYouteful that they can be in touch with their antiquity. It has a great calorie density chart. In time I will be ordering your other 3 DVDs. What a surprise the _Calorie Density_ dvd was. You are the best!!! You will be remembered very much in the islands with ALOHA.

love patty
patty

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:37 pm

Thank you Patty! I have always thought traditional, indigenous diets of a location the best way to go and if someone is actually of that lineage, how much better is that!?!?! Where I live now is a bit more problematic because the traditional diet is very very labor intensive, with lots of thorns :lol: being in desert area and all. I have tried and some of the foods are great but some just too much unpleasantness to wade through. I do love Hawaii, spent time there in 1969 and 1971, one of the hippie surf bums living in a car on North Shore Oahu and in a sort of surfer flop house in Lahaina. Sigh, there is a lot from then that I still miss. All that fresh picked tropical fruit....HooooBoy!!!
GeoffreyLevens

Postby patty » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:06 pm

Aloha Geoffrey

Thank you Patty! I have always thought traditional, indigenous diets of a location the best way to go and if someone is actually of that lineage, how much better is that!?!?! Where I live now is a bit more problematic because the traditional diet is very very labor intensive, with lots of thorns being in desert area and all. I have tried and some of the foods are great but some just too much unpleasantness to wade through. I do love Hawaii, spent time there in 1969 and 1971, one of the hippie surf bums living in a car on North Shore Oahu and in a sort of surfer flop house in Lahaina. Sigh, there is a lot from then that I still miss. All that fresh picked tropical fruit....HooooBoy!!!

I am sure Dr. Shintani success is like Dr. McDougalls, and Jeff Novick, because they are giving back. I don't remember the exact story... this was years ago, it was on a reservation, maybe Arizona or Oklahoma, but the residents were dying from flu type symptoms and my herbologist equated it to a toxic system from a SAD diet where they lost the ability to cleanse. This was the time where the US was giving out the blocks of cheese. So I imagine what Dr. Shintani did you can very much be done wherever you are. Jeff's got it down and you can do it too!!! Cost creates a respect of value of the old ways... labors will identify.

My two adult sons live in Maile... a block from the ocean. The attraction of course is surf. One is very much whole plant base diet but very cost conscious and the other it was just not in the picture for him and his family because of cost. They are going to be blown away. My daughter's husband is 1/4 Hawaiian and they are living with his parents so I know the Jeff's dvds along with "The Hawaiian Diet" will have a impact. The father has Parkinson's. They have all been exposed to ETL, McDougall, Esselstyn, China Study etc. Jeff just winds it up... cost/simplicity speaks volumes.

love patty
patty

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:30 am

Patty, I love that sharing the wealth!
GeoffreyLevens

Postby CHEF AJ » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:11 am

These people "forage" for their food. I wonder what their cost per day is?

http://www.youtube.com/user/StaceyHeart ... V5_Jx0GqNE
Love & Kale,
Chef AJ
www.EatUnprocessed.com
www.HealthyTasteOnline.com
CHEF AJ

Postby Nuria » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:31 am

Wow, I missed a lot of great posts in the last couple of days, thinking that I would get notifications when someone else posted....does that stop after awhile, or am I doing something wrong? Anyway:

We do seem to be a little "colony" here of more and less-disillusioned Fuhrmanites. I called the place "tense and perfectionistic," and I found myself growing more so myself, with the endless posts espousing more and more complicated recipes (sometimes I just want to cook up a pot of rice and beans, darn it!), the discussions of increasingly expensive, foreign cookware and gadgets (my Presto pressure cooker cost me $40 bucks, and I'm sticking with it!) and the overall "holier-than-thou" atmosphere there. I began to feel like I felt back in high school when I hung with the school intellectuals, instead of being on the cheerleading team and dating a football player! I don't know this forum (here, I mean) very well, but I do know it's free, which brings me to another point. A friend wrote to me privately yesterday, regarding Dr. Fuhrman's "free" medical advice:

____The old forum format tallied the number of members. I remember that the tally had reached over 4,000!!! Of course, I then did a little computation. Considering the cost per member to belong to the center, and the increased fees, that means that the net total income is 90,000 plus dollars. What triggered this little foray into compensatory costs was that one forum member posted quite some time ago that the doctor gave "free advice". On the contrary, he is paid quite well for a few comments! _____

When I belonged to the Fuhrman forum the first time, it cost less than $8 a month. When I returned, about a year later, the cost had doubled, as did all his prices. I watched him go from recommending supplements to, increasingly, recommending "his" supplements, to be bought at inflated costs in his store. Why does this remind me of "South Beach?"

I also watched the quality of that "free" medical advice: the first time I joined, most of what I saw was relatively kind and friendly, although brief. The second time, it seemed to have degenerated to "one-liners," usually terse, often rude. I can get bad bedside-manner going to my local GP! Come to think of it, he couldn't care less about diet and nutrition (my local GP, that is), but he is a lot friendlier and therefore a lot more healing than what I found on the ETL forum.

And then there was the forum itself: completely unmoderated, it became more and more like a "police state:" say something that didn't echo the "party line," and the post or thread mysteriously disappeared with no explanation.

All in all, I've had it. Thank you for listening to my rant, I'll try not to do too much of that; suppose I'm detoxing! Sometimes, what comes out of our mouths is even more important than what goes in!

Someone here said that they keep coming back to McDougall because they feel more comfortable. That's what I'm looking for. I just want to hang out with some people who want to enhance their lives through eating the best possible food. I do not want to be among the "chosen," and I need badly to keep in mind that most of the people in this sad old world have very little say-so about what they eat and are lucky to get anything at all, and that it behooves me to leave as small a footprint here as I can, for their sake. That's why these discussions on eating good food for very little cost appeal to me.

See the world as your self.
Have faith in the way things are.
Love the world as your self;
then you can care for all things. –Tao te Ching
Nuria

Postby Nuria » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:45 am

CHEF AJ wrote:These people "forage" for their food. I wonder what their cost per day is?

I watched this, and it kind of brought up some "stuff" for me....I remember when I lived in Boston in the late70s, during the "Macrobiotic" craze....and I knew people who were fruitarians, as well....and I lived in a spiritual community of people who were mostly vegetarians. It was a very idealistic time, but looking back, what kind of bothered me was everyone's insistence that their way was the "right" way to eat. It kept people apart from each other. I'm sure one reason so many people continue to eat SAD food is partially because they want to stay a part of the "real" world. I think I'd like to incorporate my plant-based diet into that world without making a big deal out of it. We teach best by example, not by going apart and being "different."

Or something like that!

See the world as your self.
Have faith in the way things are.
Love the world as your self;
then you can care for all things. –Tao te Ching
Nuria

Postby patty » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:53 pm

These people "forage" for their food. I wonder what their cost per day is?

I imagine it is very emotionally expensive.

There is a difference in ETL and understanding Jeff Novick's calorie density concepts. What he does is he gives a clearer picture of food. He gives you a number that is a constant. This number you can weigh and measure everything in your life with. Food becomes like air and water. It is a number that tells you that you pretty much eat the same weight of food each day, regardless of calories.

There is a difference between cash register honesty and emotional honesty. Just as there is a difference between desperation and desire. Jeff takes you to a place of desire vs. desperation, because the fear of never having enough or measuring up enough is irrelevant. He gives you the gift of knowledge that is self empowering.

There is no need to forage... how cheap is a bag of brown rice or a sack of potatoes with a couple of cabbages? In understanding satiety comes from a mixture of low calorie dense foods that includes unrefined carbs, you can relax and be here. It is a whole new currency. Your happiness comes from within.

Food is a very complex addiction. We are people with multiple addictions and they are cross all the time without any awareness to the addict. Denial is the nature of the disease, it is a disease that tells you, that you don't have a disease. We are all transparent... low calorie density.. is antiquity.

love patty
patty

Previous

Return to The Lounge