Eat to Live is driving me crazy!

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Eat to Live is driving me crazy!

Postby Nuria » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:22 pm

Hmmm, this is an interesting topic to me, as I am currently considering leaving the ETL member center....for about the zillionth time!! I agree with Geoffrey and Patty, the programs are essentially the same, except that there is, somehow, a kind of subtle difference, and I can't entirely figure out what: okay, so McDougall encourages more starches and fewer nuts, Fuhrman fewer starches and more beans.....but I have a feeling that if we were to compare actual plates and intake, we would see that we were eating the same things....pretty much. Someone here said that they were always hungry on ETL, and I can agree with that. And I haven't had much time here yet, so I can't really speak with any insight, but I have to say that if I leave the ETL forum, it will be because:

1) Dr. Fuhrman claims to be a scientist, yet overall, I notice he is heavily invested in being RIGHT and becoming the next "rockstar" of the diet world. Probably won't happen, because he is too extreme and backs down on all the wrong things but not the right ones (please don't ask me what those are, I'm still thinking about it).

2) McDougall is willing to admit that his program has its roots in antiquity. I've always seen these diets as being the diets taught by the Yogis and those who were into wholistic health long before it had that fancy terminology. It's an intuitive way of living.

Most of all, though, the Fuhrman forum is a tense, perfectionistic place. People seem angry there, and, maybe....hungry. I don't know what it's like here, but my ideal would be to find a place to share support and information with people who are like-minded, but...moderate. Willing to live and let live. Maybe....

Eating this way to enhance the lives they have, not because they're terrified of dying.

Nuria

See the world as your self.
Have faith in the way things are.
Love the world as your self;
then you can care for all things. –Tao te Ching
Nuria

Postby f1jim » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:59 pm

Great post Nuria. I love your statement at the end...
"Eating this way to enhance the lives they have, not because they're terrified of dying."
I started because of the latter and ended up with the former. Completely fearful of death and after eating this way now I am at such a point of contentment with it all. I am not sure how much of it was passing through the danger to the point of feeling healthy or maybe it's the food itself. Maybe a combination of all those things. For what it's worth, fear can be an effective motivating force. It isn't a state you want to stay in for long, though.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby Nuria » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:48 pm

f1jim wrote: I started because of the latter and ended up with the former. Completely fearful of death and after eating this way now I am at such a point of contentment with it all. I am not sure how much of it was passing through the danger to the point of feeling healthy or maybe it's the food itself. Maybe a combination of all those things. For what it's worth, fear can be an effective motivating force. It isn't a state you want to stay in for long, though.
f1jim

Well said indeed. I think probably most of of us come to this lifestyle out of some sense of fear, whether or not we're consciously aware of it. But I love what you say, that when we start treating ourselves well and feeling better, a lot of that passes. I have a long way to go to get as healthy as I want to be, but after my first year of this, separated by a year in HELL with multiple knee surgeries (no, I only have two knees, it's a long story!), and then a return to healthy living, I am feeling so much better, and better every day....in this sense, this passage we're going through here is truly our "hero's journey."

Nuria

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:30 pm

the Fuhrman forum is a tense, perfectionistic place. People seem angry there, and, maybe....hungry.

I never got that at all. There is a section where you can communicate directly w/ Dr Fuhrman about your personal, medical issues so there are a lot more seriously ill people going back and forth about their particular dilemmas in that section but overall I have not seen any more or less fear base or anger at all. Overall, I have sensed a similar mix of people and personalities.

So far, the only people I have "seen" who are always hungry on ETL are not doing it correctly for one reason or another. They just aren't eating enough!. Not eating to satisfy a particular food addiction will of course cause all sorts of upset for awhile and that can easily be mistaken for hunger. I have experienced that, big time!

Dr Fuhrman can be a bit abrupt and "does not suffer fools gladly" and that can definitely be off putting for some.
GeoffreyLevens

Postby f1jim » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:17 pm

Well I hope people migrating here from Dr. Fuhrmans site feel welcome. Much of the information is going to be similar and there will be some differences. Feel free to ask why Dr. McDougall takes a particular stance on something.
After following a McDougall/Esselstyn diet for a while I got a few of Dr. Fuhrmans books after hearing he was more "advanced" than McDougall on a few of the other boards. Honestly it was just a few people that were very vocal but I heard enough to make me read and explore to see what his program was all about. After digging into the heart of his plan and experimenting with some of his ideas for awhile I came back to this as a day in-day out way to eat. I had no beef with the overall healthiness of his plan, it had more to do with his ideas about smoothies, supplements, and incidentals than the meat of his program. They are pretty close but I find McDougalls a bit easier to stay with and for me, it's very logical and grounded in history. For me, sometimes stepping back in time is what is required to step forward in nutritional progress. I see and understand Dr. Fuhrmans concepts and see where he is coming from in advancing them. For some they will find their sense of nutritional correctness with him.
But if you are here it means you are looking at this program, it's merits, it's potential, and the nuts and bolts of how it works. So welcome to ETL'ers, Atkins supporters, Pritikin people, weight watchers, all who are on the learning curve. I hope we can make this a place you find welcome. There are usually people from all different diet and lifestyle programs so don't be afraid to ask why and how. This is for the regulars here...This is why it's so important to help with the questions from new people. Many times their view of this plan is shaped by how we respond. We end up being the face of the McDougall plan. Since the board is free and we have the forums Jeff, Lani, and others maintain we have a lot of resources to help. I remember when I started this for two weeks my biggest concern was what am I going to eat? I had the same questions about oils almost all new people ask about. Thank goodness there were answers and they made sense! I hope we come off positively to most. I know we attract a few that really just want to argue but that is pretty rare. Most people are pretty serious about turning their health around. I think we can be a step for them in the right direction.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby patty » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:26 pm

Aloha

afreespirit wrote:
Patty, welcome to the McDougall forum! Hope to hear more from you.

Mahalo for the nice welcome.

James I enjoyed your video story. My heart goes out to your mother. Working as a Home Health Aide, it is not uncommon to hear, "Look at me what they (medical industry) they did to me." It is so refreshing to hear Dr. McDougall share his anger at the medical community on his MS video. And shares his son's anger and frustration. Dr. McDougall advice to him to just abide his time was right on. The only way to change a system is from inside and to stop being a consumer. Your mother really helped you. What a miracle for you and your sister.

Nuria wrote:
I have a long way to go to get as healthy as I want to be, but after my first year of this, separated by a year in HELL with multiple knee surgeries (no, I only have two knees, it's a long story!), and then a return to healthy living, I am feeling so much better, and better every day....in this sense, this passage we're going through here is truly our "hero's journey."

I just want to say I haven't met anyone with a successful knee surgery. And it not only happens to the random patients but also to those who work in the medical industry and their families. I loved when Dr. McDougall shared on the MS video about understanding the woman's anger about being in a controlled study for a year where her health was jeopardized. And he had empathy for her and was Clear.. it is just business. Which is easy to say when you aren't being the one consumed.

When the consumer changes the suppliers change. What a miracle to take our life back. It was like why didn't I respond to the doctor who was giving me my physical that she didn't know what she was talking about when I told her I was doing Dr. Shintani's diet and she told me that I still had to count calories. I didn't have the knowledge how to explain or understand why Dr. Shintani's diet wasn't calorie based... even after reading his and Dr. Mc Dougall's books. In practicing ETL I didn't even then have the knowledge to spot his formula is calorie density based, under the guise that it is nutrient based. So in essence the "Hero's Journey" truly leads full circle to know we all do the best we can with what knowledge we have.

I loved sharing with my Client, how Dr. McDougall explained on the MS video, how easy it is to die from old age and it was exactly like how my Client's husband died. He had gone to sleep and when his heart failed his body filled up with fluid to drown him. This was 20 years ago... and in your sixties is way too young (I am sure he would argue against that:) as life is accepting what is/time is the illusion), but what comfort it gave her to know how and why death can be so easy. What motivation to eat calorie dense. Reflection is always self-referal. A whole new vision how it all somehow fits as the seed to the rose is never pretty, but who questions the beauty of the rose.

I am just so grateful to be unhooked from SAD. And that I have to be grateful to Dr. Fuhrman identifying it as a addiction. And after Jeff Novick's _Calorie Density_ dvd food is now like water and air. I experienced less of a sense of true hunger with ETL and I say a sense because I didn't really understand the constant.. the new number of the weight of food I was eating daily. I was still transferring the values in circles. ETL is a expensive journey, when your not the sharpest tool in the shed, but so very worth it. Truth always follows. We collectively make up the whole.

love patty
patty

Postby Nuria » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:33 pm

GeoffreyLevens wrote:
the Fuhrman forum is a tense, perfectionistic place. People seem angry there, and, maybe....hungry.

I never got that at all. There is a section where you can communicate directly w/ Dr Fuhrman about your personal, medical issues so there are a lot more seriously ill people going back and forth about their particular dilemmas in that section but overall I have not seen any more or less fear base or anger at all. Overall, I have sensed a similar mix of people and personalities.

So far, the only people I have "seen" who are always hungry on ETL are not doing it correctly for one reason or another. They just aren't eating enough!. Not eating to satisfy a particular food addiction will of course cause all sorts of upset for awhile and that can easily be mistaken for hunger. I have experienced that, big time!

Dr Fuhrman can be a bit abrupt and "does not suffer fools gladly" and that can definitely be off putting for some.

Well, there's no accounting for taste! I hate to always come back to the male-female thing, it's so tiresome....but that may be one of the reasons people tend to gravitate toward one sub-group or another, or this topic or that topic.... I guess the thing that has concerned me is seeing people be soooo perfectionistic about doing it "just right," taking it so seriously....and it IS a serious matter: but it seems worth a bit of joy, too....

Nuria

Postby Nuria » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:38 pm

patty wrote:Aloha

afreespirit wrote:
Patty, welcome to the McDougall forum! Hope to hear more from you.

ETL is a expensive journey, when your not the sharpest tool in the shed, but so very worth it. Truth always follows.

love patty

Patty, I'm not sure what you meant by this. Can you explain it?

I do believe that these diets are a luxury of the affluent....a large portion of the world's population feels fortunate to get anything at all to eat, much less having the luxury to pick and choose as we do....

Nuria

Postby Nuria » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:59 pm

f1jim wrote: I know we attract a few that really just want to argue but that is pretty rare. Most people are pretty serious about turning their health around. I think we can be a step for them in the right direction.
f1jim

You know, that's one thing that I fervently hope will be true. I worked for many years in addictions, and noticed that at an AA meeting, you usually didn't see a whole lot of fighting and politics....maybe at beginners' meetings, but not so much at the older ones. Why? Because people were dying! They didn't have time to make a fuss about nothing. May it be true here....

This has been a good discussion for me, because it has made me think about why I am inclined to look for another program. What I mention above is one reason... Another reason is because I, too, am looking for a greater simplicity. The ETL program, as it has appeared to me on the forum I have been paying to belong to, is a rather complicated one. Now, let me hasten to add that the "print-out customized diet" that I got at the beginning of my membership is very simple and easy. But the longer I belonged to the forums, the more complicated and fancy recipes I began to read, the more quibbling about measurements and calories and the like....in fact, last week Mrs. Fuhrman actually intervened in one of the most popular threads to remark that it isn't necessary to count calories. As a life-time calorie counter, this was a relief to me; I had started to become very uneasy! Anyway, I can only speak for myself, but overall, it began to seem like a very complicated, detailed, perfectionistic way of eating, and I just wanted to cook lovely food and enjoy it. I wanted to follow a certain set of principles and let the rest go. I'm an "aging hippie," and I've been eating brown rice and veggies most of my adult life. There was nothing new for me in this program, just a way of becoming more conscious about what I was doing....not not giving into my baser impulses when I was out in the larger world (i.e., meat, sugar, etc.).

I suspect we all perceive through our own particular lens. One of us will see perfectionism and tension where another won't, and vice versa. Ultimately, these programs are extremely similalr, and I find myself wondering if it doesn't come down to personalities in the end. Today, my husband and I watched Dr. McDougall's lecture on MS. He made us smile! He seemed like a human being, and he seemed to be really excited about what he was doing. I'm sure he has his issues, just as anyone in such a position does, but somehow, I felt more comfortable with him. Why knows why? I'm a rookie. Here, anyway.

Nuria

Postby EngineerGuy » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:58 pm

Hi folks,

I love Dr. McDougall for his contributions to all of our health, and to the health of the nation.

I have enjoyed reading this thread very much, and I agree with all of it. I hope all feel welcome both here and at the ETL forum. That's how I perceive both forums. Like GeoffreyLevens, I have also done both programs.

If we are meeting our health goals, we are on a perfect program. For myself, I am only motivated to improve my program, if I'm not meeting my health goals, and need to improve.

I followed the Pritikin program for 30 years, the last 2 years very strictly. One mistake that Pritikin made, that Dr. McDougall has corrected, is that Dr. McDougall discourages flour products. I was eating a lot of whole grain sourdough bread, complete with it's mega-salt intake, but otherwise I was perfect. Dr. McDougall also discourages dairy products, which Pritikin allows a bit. But I was lactose intolerant, so I ate no dairy products.

I ran 4 miles a day, 7 days a week, plus weights 3x/week. So, I needed lots of calories, so I did not emphasize vegetables. Now I do emphasize vegetables, and I notice I never catch colds, instead of sharing colds with my co-workers, like I used to. So, emphasizing vegetables is very important. Pritikin did emphasize vegetables, but did not actually verbalize it, years ago. I missed that point, while on Pritikin.

When I attended the Pritikin Center (and was so fortunate to meet Jeff Novick), I had the more expensive VAP cholesterol test done. This test breaks down the LDL into 3 subclasses of LDL. Same for HDL. It turns out that I have the hereditary familial type B lipid profile. (There is type A (best), type A/B and type B (worst).) This means my LDL is high, and most of the LDL is the bad small dense LDL. I also have low HDL. And most of my HDL is small dense HDL, which is the only bad type of HDL. For my particular hereditary profile, it is very important to be very lean. Belly fat contributes hormones, for type B people like me, that contribute mightily to atherosclerosis. Regardless of what diet I follow, I will not be healthy unless I am very lean. That's my heredity. That's probably why, to my shock, that my IMT (carotid artery ultrasound) got significantly WORSE during the last 2 years very strictly on the Pritikin diet. I weighted 167 pounds, at 6'0", so I wasn't fat at all. But my heredity dictates that I should pinch 1/2 inch of fat by the navel. I lost 10 pounds, down to 157, and later regained some muscle (I hope it was all muscle I regained). I'm 163 now, and probably should lose some tummy fat!

My take home message from all this, is that no diet by itself guarantees success for all people. Depending on our individual heredity, weight, stress reduction, exercise, meal frequency, nutrient density, metabolic rate, vitamin D supplements, and more, may (or may not) be very important. We are all individuals.

For myself, I benefited greatly by having an IMT test, as recommended at the Pritikin Center. It cost $200, which insurance covered, and is completely harmless, just like a baby ultrasound. It gives an average intimal artery wall thickness (thinner is better) and takes pictures of any significant blockages, etc. This helps a person track his changes.

I'll get another IMT test in April 2011, 2 years after the last test. The last test (April 2009) showed that I reversed the atherosclerosis I built up during the 2 years of strict diet that I described above (June 2007 to June 2009).

The two years, described above, when my IMT worsened, was June 2005 to June 2007.
Two years later, in April 2009, having lost 10 pounds and emphasized veggies, but increased fat (3 - 4 oz nuts and seeds) showed I reversed the atherosclerosis.
In April 2011, I'll have another IMT to ensure I'm still doing well.

All the best wishes to all of you, kindred in spirit. :-)

Best regards, EngineerGuy
"Happiness is the pursuit of worthwhile goals" Doug Lisle, The Pleasure Trap
EngineerGuy

Postby patty » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:33 pm

Aloha Nuria

I said:
ETL is a expensive journey, when you are not the sharpest tool in the shed, but so very worth it. Truth always follows.

Nuria asked:
Patty, I'm not sure what you meant by this. Can you explain it?

I do believe that these diets are a luxury of the affluent....a large portion of the world's population feels fortunate to get anything at all to eat, much less having the luxury to pick and choose as we do....

For myself I know I have many wants but my needs will be taken care of. And with ETL I purchased vitamins, excess food and equipment because actually the volume of the addiction wasn't addressed. In understanding calorie density, a new number comes into play.. a constant.. a number that tells you it doesn't matter what calories come in or go out (wants) because you carry the same weight (needs) daily regardless what you chose to eat. Now the money comes into play, because you are experiencing satiety (ultimate true hunger) because you know money is not the issue. You are no longer in the cycle of never enough. Your needs are being taken care of by the correct food choices. Food again is like water and air, the consumer totally changes, body, mind and socially. the suppliers will change.

World peace..is a body constant. It reminds me of the AA Promises.. food and money are the last addictions. It is all about service and the angels end relationships when we won't. A new world is rising. There is a need for all of us.

love patty

And Aloha Engineer Guy:) Haven't seen you for awhile. So grateful you are doing so well and know you will continue!
patty

Postby bookpondsky » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:09 am

I may be way off here, but I have always thought that too many starches and carbs lead to inflammation which is the cause of many ailments. I know that when I eat too many carbs I feel dull and fatigued. Am I missing something?
bookpondsky

Postby f1jim » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:10 am

Yes, you are reciting the mantra many of us grew up with about carbs. They are fattening and bad for us. The reality is unrefined carbs and starches make an excellent fuel for our bodies. i suggest you go back and read some of Dr. McDougalls writings. This is the basis of his diet. If you grew up thinking that the potato was bas and milk was the perfect food you owe it to yourself to discover the truth. Stick around and learn.
f1jim
f1jim

Postby patty » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:43 am

Aloha bookpondsky

Jeff Novick in _Calorie Density_ dvd shares there are two types of carbohydrates: unrefined and refined. The unrefined carbs are the ones that come from the garden. Refined carbs are the ones that have been packaged stripped of the water and fiber. He gives the example of corn or corn meal and a potato right out of the garden or one that is sliced then deep fried. Why unrefined carbs are the best fuel is because of their high water content and fiber. Water and fiber mixed create the bulk that stretches the stomach to the nerve endings to send the message to the brain that it is full.

Dr. Shintani uses the example of 6 apples or a piece of coffee cake. The apples with their water and fiber create the weight where the piece of coffee cake is weight less. That is why calorie diets don't work. So you can imagine when suggested to have a glass of orange juice (refined carb) and a piece of toast (refined carb) the emptiness the stomach will fill and hunger will still be present if not right then it will be soon. Even if you put butter and jam (refined carbs) on the toast.

There is a excellent video of Dr. William Li who asks the question :"Can we eat to starve cancer?" posting.php?mode=reply&f=1&t=19600 He shares we have over sixty thousand miles of blood vessels in the average human adult. So you can imagine how important it is when the stomach is filled with the correct crabs the less inflammation there will be in cells in the blood vessels.

In Jeff Novick's _Calorie Density_ dvd shares there are two types of fuel: sugar (sugar being the best) and fat. The only fuel the brain uses is sugar. Bruce Lipton in the "Biology of Belief" and "Wisdom of Cells" shares each cell has a brain. In Dr. McDougall's MS video he shares how when you eat fat (he is talking about animal fat) it gets into the blood stream and coats the cells where they stick together, when clumping they have lost their ability to repel where it disturbs the brain barrier and breaks down the autoimmune system.

Our immune system depends us for our perception of our environment. Bruce Lipton shares with a petri dish with unhealthy cells, if you move the petri dish to a healthier environment the cells become healthier. Knowledge is power and self-knowledge is self-empowerment. Knowing what carbs are non-inflaming and inflaming is very important. That is why I love Jeff Novick's _Calorie Density_ dvd, he is able to present the whole base of why a starch base diet has always worked for people all over the world.

love patty
patty

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:48 am

bookpondsky wrote:I may be way off here, but I have always thought that too many starches and carbs lead to inflammation which is the cause of many ailments. I know that when I eat too many carbs I feel dull and fatigued. Am I missing something?

This one of those things that just won't die because it has a grain (Oops, sorry about the pun)of truth to it. REFINED carbs, white flour, corn flakes, doughnuts, Micky-D's hamburger buns, etc can definitely lead to inflammation. Whole grains, with all their fiber and nutrients are not a problem at all.

And of course, that means real whole grains ie it is all there, and not what is often labeled as "whole grain" in stores (bread for instance) where they use a very small percentage of whole grain flour along with, refined white flour, extracted potato starch, sugar, added oil... You've got to read the "fine print" ie the ingredients list and not just trust the name on the front of the package. That is, if you even buy food that is in packages :wink:
GeoffreyLevens

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge