Over the Rainbow Salad
Prep: 15 minutes (cooked rice needed) Chill: 2 hours
This salad is wonderful to take to a picnic. It keeps well in a cooler and everyone loves it! It is so colorful, tastes so great, and it easy to vary the colors used by whatever your garden is producing or the variety of produce you find at the markets. Add some chopped bell peppers and some chopped summer squash to the mixture to make it even more colorful and delicious.
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 15 ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 15 ounce can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed (or fresh corn kernels)
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed (or fresh peas, shelled)
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup pimiento, chopped
- 2 tbsp black olives, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3/4 cup oil-free balsamic dressing
- 1 tbsp soy sauce (optional)
- 1/2 tsp Tabasco sauce
Place the rice and beans in a large bowl and combine. Add the corn, peas, onion, pimiento, olives and cilantro. Toss well to mix. Combine the salad dressing, soy sauce and Tabasco in a mixing cup and whisk until smooth. Pour over the salad and mix well. Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.
Hints: Many varieties of oil-free salad dressings are available in supermarkets and natural food stores. It is also very simple to make your own salad dressings. Feel free to use whichever dressing you like in this recipe. Taste salad after it has been refrigerated for an hour or so and adjust seasonings as necessary.