Prep: 15 minutes
By Cathy Fisher
This light, colorful, and fruity spinach salad is a refreshing alternative to everyday green salads. It calls for fresh fennel, which can be found at most grocery stores. It has a light licorice taste that is wonderful with the mango and lime juice.
- 4 cups (packed) fresh spinach leaves
- 2 cups (packed) fresh arugula
- 1 mango, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1 grapefruit, peeled and cut into sections
- 1/2 cup fresh fennel, thinly sliced
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled and sliced
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1 avocado, chopped (optional)
- 1 tbsp vinegar (I like apple cider or brown rice)
- 1/4 cup lime juice (2 to 3 limes)
Thoroughly wash the spinach and arugula, pat dry, and place in a large bowl. (If you are not using baby spinach, the leaves may be larger and so you may want to coarsely chop it.)
Add the mango, grapefruit, fennel, cucumber, green onion, basil, and avocado (if using) to the bowl. Stir in the vinegar and lime juice.
Notes: Arugula is a peppery tasting salad green that can be found in bulk or bunches in most produce sections. If you cannot find fresh fennel, you may substitute with 2 ribs of celery.