Sparkling Jewel Salad
Prep: 25 minutes
By Jill Nussinow
This salad can be made with any vegetables that taste good raw and is perfect during the summer months when there is lots of fresh produce available at your local farmer's markets. The carrots and watermelon or daikon (or radish) add beautiful color. The sea vegetables add a salty flavor and lots of minerals. The agave adds a touch of sweetness and is a good balance to the lime.
- 1 ounce arame or other sea vegetable
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced very thin, julienne or diced small
- 1 cup watermelon or regular daikon radish, sliced, julienne or diced smal
- 1/2 cup cucumber, sliced
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 1-2 tbsp agave syrup, to taste
- 1-3 tsp tamari
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh dill or other herb
Combine all the ingredients and let marinate for at least 15 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasonings. Refrigerate or eat at room temperature.
Note: Rehydrate arame or sea vegetables in boiling water, then drain and chop (for arame, others don't need chopping).