Prep: 20 minutes Rest: 15 minutes
Panzanella is another name for bread salad. This is a great way to use up some bread that is a couple of days old and it's fantastic with fresh heirloom tomatoes available all over at this time of year. See hints below to change salad ingredients according to your preferences.
- 4 very ripe heirloom tomatoes, chopped
- 2 small avocados, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1/4 cup green onions, chopped
- 3 cups cubed fat-free French or Italian style bread (1 or 2 days old)
- 1/2 cup fat free balsamic vinaigrette
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
Place the tomatoes, avocados, garlic, and green onions in a large bowl and mix well. Add bread to the vegetable mixture and toss to mix. Add the dressing and cilantro or parsley and toss again. Let rest for at least 15 minutes before serving to allow dressing to soak into the bread somewhat.
Hints: To make this into a lower fat salad, omit the avocado and use 1 cucumber, seeded and chopped and 1 bell pepper in place of the avocado. Add some shredded fresh basil, if desired. Instead of the chopped green onions, used freshly chopped sweet onions.