Tomato and Black Bean Salsa
Prep: 20 minutes
By Alex Bury
- 1 1/2 cups ripe fresh tomatoes, de-stemmed and diced
- 1 cup red pepper, de-stemmed, de-seeded, and diced
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 1/3 cup green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup jalapeno pepper, de-stemmed, de-seeded, and diced (optional)
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped (optional)
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup cooked black beans
- 1-2 tbsp lime juice, to taste
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
In a medium bowl, place the tomatoes, red pepper, red onion, green onions, jalapeno pepper, cilantro, and garlic, and toss well to combine. Add the black beans and toss gently to combine. Season to taste with lime juice, salt, and pepper, and toss gently. Serve as a condiment to Mexican or Southwestern style dishes, as a filling for sandwiches or wraps, or as a dip for raw veggies or baked tortilla chips. Fresh salsa can be made of anything-use your imagination and what you have on hand! Corn, beans, chopped fresh, raw veggies, mango, pineapple, or tomatillos to name a few.
Hint: Canned black beans may be used in this recipe.