Southwest Brown Rice
Prep: 5 minutes Cook: 10 minutes
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1/2 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 14.5 ounce can stewed tomatoes
- 1/3 cup salsa or picante sauce
- 1 cup instant brown rice
- 15 ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 avocado, peeled and chopped (optional)
Place the water, onion, garlic, cumin, and chili powder in a large nonstick frying pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 to 3 minutes, until the onion softens.
Drain the stewed tomatoes and set aside; reserve the juice. Add enough water to the juice to make 3/4 cup of liquid and add it to the onions along with the salsa or picante sauce. Bring to a boil, stir in the rice, cover, and cook over low heat for 5 minutes. Add the beans and tomatoes. Remove from heat and let rest for 5 minutes. Return to heat and cook until well heated, about 2 minutes. Serve with chopped avocado over the top, if desired.