Prep: 20 minutes Cook: 30 minutes
By Roberta Joiner
- 2 Sweet Onions (Vidalia, Walla Walla, etc.), chopped
- 7 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound crimini mushrooms
- 4 cups sliced fresh shiitake mushrooms (or other mushrooms, as desired)
- 1/4 cup marsala wine
- 2 tbsp Veggie Glace (see below)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 tsp miso
- dash liquid browning (optional)
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1 tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tbsp brandy
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup tofu sour cream
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- juice of one lemon
- salt and lots of fresh ground pepper
- 1 package cooked noodles or a left-over mild grain
Saute the onions and garlic until soft. Add the mushrooms.
"De-glaze" the mixture with marsala wine.
Dissolve Veggie Glaze in 1 cup of boiling water. Add this to the mixture with miso, liquid browning, poultry seasoning,and Worcestershire sauce.
Whisk the brandy and cornstarch together add and stir until clear and thick.
Next add tofu sour cream, parsley, nutmeg, and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper.
Mix with noodles or a left over mild grain.
Veggie Glace is a very thick demi-glace reduction of roasted vegetables; available at some Gourmet shops, and Viking/Home Chef stores or on-line at http://www.clubsauce.com/html/Vegetable-Demi-Glace.html.