Costa Rican Potatoes & Beans
Prep: 30 minutes (need cooked potatos) Cook: 30 minutes
- 1/2-1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 1/2 cups fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- several twists freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups spinach, chopped
- 3 cups cooked potatoes, chuncked
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- hot sauce
Place 1/2 cup of the vegetable broth in a large non-stick frying pan. Add the onion, garlic and jalapeno. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until vegetables are very soft, adding the rest of the vegetable broth if necessary. Add tomatoes, cilantro and black pepper. Cook, uncovered over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, drop the spinach into boiling water for 1 minute. Drain and set aside.
Add potatoes and beans to tomato mixture. Mix well and cook for 3 minutes. Add spinach and cook for another minute. Season to taste with hot sauce.
Serve hot or cold.
Hint: Use a variety of tomatoes for an attractive, colorful dish. Use small, new potatoes cooked with the skins on for best flavor. Cool slightly, then cut into chunks.