Mock Tuna Spread
Prep: 15 minutes Chill: 1 hour
Serves:Makes 2 cups
By Heather McDougall
This is a favorite with my boys. They like it just spread on bread and eaten open-faced.
- 1 15 ounce can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green onion
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup fat-free mayonnaise or Tofu Mayonnaise (see hint below)
Place the beans in a food processor and process until coarsely chopped or mash with a bean masher. Don't over process to a smooth consistency.
Place in a bowl and add the remaining ingredients. Mix well.
Chill at least 1 hour to blend the flavors. Serve as a sandwich spread, rolled up in a tortilla, or stuffed into pita, topped with your favorite summer veggies
Hint: This newsletter has many versions of Tofu Mayonnaise in past issues or there is also a recipe in The Starch Solution book. Naysoya Nayonaise also makes a low fat mayonnaise from tofu.