5 Layer Bean Dip
Prep: 30-60 minutes
By Roberta Joiner
This can be put together quite quickly using prepared products, or you can make most of the layers yourself and assemble it later. Either way it is bound to be a hit at your next party!
- Mashed Beans:
- 2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 1-2 jalapeno peppers, veins & seeds removed
- 1-2 tbsp southwest seasoning (see hints)
- salsa, to taste and thin as desired
- cilantro, to taste
- Avocado Salsa:
- 2 medium avocados, peeled and diced
- 1 large, firm, ripe tomato, chopped
- 2 tbsp finely chopped red onion
- 2 tbsp finely chopped, seeded, jalapeno pepper
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- dash salt
- Tofu Sour Cream:
- 2-12.3 ounce packages silken tofu
- 4 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- mild, medium or hot salsa
- 4 ounce can sliced black olives
- chopped cilantro
The layers are: Mashed Beans, Avocado Salsa, Tofu Sour Cream, Salsa, Olives & Cilantro.
Place all ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth. May be heated, if desired.
Combine all ingredients and toss gently to mix.
Tofu Sour Cream:
Combine all ingredients in a food processor and process until very smooth and creamy. Refrigerate at least 2 hours to allow flavors to meld, one day is even better.
Layer the ingredients in the order given. Start with the beans, then spread a layer of the avocado over the beans, then a thin layer of the tofu sour cream, followed by a thin layer of the salsa, some olives, and a sprinkling of cilantro. Serve with baked tortilla chips.
Hints: To make this quickly any of your favorite bean dips would work in this recipe. Bearitos makes fat free refried beans with green chilies already added. AvoClassic makes a Guaca Salsa-a mixture of avocado and green salsa with half the fat of regular guacamole. Southwest seasoning can be found in many specialty markets or it may be ordered online from Penzeys Spices.