Shepherd's Vegetable Pie
Prep: 35 minutes (need mashed potatoes) Cook: 1 hour
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sage leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (optional)
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 cup cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 cup green beans, cut in 1 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch mixed in 1/3 cup cold water
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 cups mashed potatoes
- paprika for garnish
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Place 1/2 cup of the broth in a large pot with the onion, celery, bell pepper and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 4 minutes. Stir in sage, marjoram and soy sauce. Add the remaining vegetable broth and the carrot, mushrooms, cauliflower, cabbage and green beans. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the cornstarch mixture and stir until thickened. Season with pepper to taste. Transfer to a casserole dish.
Cover vegetable mixture with mashed potatoes and sprinkle with paprika. Bake for 30 minutes until potatoes are slightly browned.
Hint: Thin the mashed potatoes with a little non-dairy milk or vegetable broth if they are too stiff to spread. Put them in a bowl, add a small amount of the liquid and beat by hand or with an electric beater until they are spreadable.