Butternut Squash and Bean Soup
Prep: 15 minutes Cook: 30 minutes
During fall and winter I usually have 1 or 2 butternut squash in my pantry to add to a wide variety of winter soups. It cooks quite quickly when chopped and adds a delicious flavor to soups.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 cups water
- 4 cups butternut squash, peeled and chopped
- 2-15 ounce cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 14.5 ounce can tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tbsp soy sauce (optional)
- 1 tsp basil
- 4 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- freshly ground pepper to taste
Place the onion in a large pot with 2 tablespoons of the water. Cook, stirring frequently until onion softens. Add the remaining water, the squash, beans, tomatoes, soy sauce and basil. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes until squash is tender. Add the spinach and cook about 5 minutes longer until spinach has wilted. Season with freshly ground pepper to taste.