Smoky Refried Bean Soup
Prep: 5 minutes Cook: 40 minutes
By Susan Voisin
This soup is so thick it's almost a chili. Use the minimum amounts of chipotle chili powder and hot sauce to make this a mild dish or add more to make it as hot as you dare.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 14 ounce can fire-roasted tomatoes, chopped
- 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 15 ounce can fat-free refried beans
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/8 - 1 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- 1 tsp oregano
Heat a large, non-stick pot and saute the onion until it begins to brown, adding a little water if necessary to prevent sticking. Add the garlic and bell pepper and cook for one more minute. Add all the remaining ingredients and cook until the flavors blend, 20-30 minutes.
Serving suggestion: Garnish with fresh tomato salsa and serve with baked tortilla chips and a large salad.