South American Stew
Prep: 45 minutes Cook: 60 minutes
This is a meal in a bowl, very satisfying and filling. It may be served with or without the Avocado sauce. All you need is a good loaf of fresh whole grain bread to complete the meal.
- 32 ounce carton vegetable broth
- 12 ounces boiling onions, cleaned and left whole
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium red-skinned potatoes, chunked
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1/4 cup uncooked long grain brown rice
- 1 jalapeno, seeded, finely chopped
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 zucchini, sliced 1/2 inch think
- 1 chayote squash, chunked (optional)
- 1/4 - 1/2 head cabbage, cut in large pieces
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
Place the vegetable broth in a large pot. Add onions, garlic, tomatoes, celery, potatoes, carrot, rice, jalapeno and cumin. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and cook for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add remaining vegetables, except the cilantro, and cook an additional 30 minutes. Stir in the cilantro. Season with some freshly ground pepper and a dash of salt, if desired. Serve in a bowl and top with Creamy Avocado Sauce (recipe in Sauces) if desired.
Hints: Frozen whole boiling onions may also be used to save time. Use about 1 1/2 cups. To clean fresh whole boiling onions, drop them into boiling water for a minute, then they will peel easily.