Stovetop Bulgur Pilaf
Prep: 15 minutes Cook: 1 hour
This is a delicious earthy fall pilaf that would be a wonderful addition to your Thanksgiving menu.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup uncooked wild rice
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup uncooked bulgur wheat
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tbsp soy sauce (optional)
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh flat-leafed parsley, chopped
Place the onion in a large non-stick pot with 1 tablespoon of the vegetable broth. Cook, stirring frequently, until the onion turns a slight golden color. Add the remaining broth, the wine and the wild rice. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and cook for 30 minutes. Add the mushrooms, bulgur, peppers, soy sauce, crushed red pepper and several twists of freshly ground black pepper. Mix well, cover and continue to cook for an additional 25 minutes, until grains are tender and most of the liquid is absorbed. Stir in parsley and serve.