Beany Vegetable Topping
Prep: 5 minutes Cook: 15 minutes
This is a quick and easy way to use canned beans and frozen vegetables to make a delicious topping for starches.
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 onion, chopped
- 15 ounce can stewed tomatoes, Mexican or Cajun style
- 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 15 ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 15 ounce can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 10 ounce package frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- 4 ounce can green chilies, chopped
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- dash or two hot sauce (optional)
Place 1/4 cup of the water and the onion in a medium pot. Cook and stir for 2 minutes, until onion softens slightly. Add the remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 12 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve over baked potatoes, brown rice or other whole grains, or rolled up in a tortilla.