Barbecued Bean Salad
Prep: 15 minutes Chill: 2 hours
This is a fast and delicious salad that can be served in many different ways. It can be eaten plain as a side dish, as a topping for chilled greens, such as spinach or lettuce, stuffed into a pita bread with some fresh chopped greens, or rolled up in a wrap plain, with barbecued tofu (see recipe below), or with greens. To use home cooked beans in this recipe, cook your beans in a pressure cooker or on the stove and use about 1 1/2 cup cooked beans for each can of beans called for. This may also be made with other variations of beans, choose all one kind or a mixture of different beans.
- 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 15 ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 15 ounce can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup sweet onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1/2 cup bottled, oil-free barbecue sauce
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- dash salt
Place beans in a large bowl. Add vegetables and mix well. Add remaining ingredients and toss again to mix. Refrigerate to blend flavors.
Hint: To use fresh corn instead of frozen, cook two ears of corn until tender. Cool. Slice from cob and use as directed above.