Mushrooms with Wild Rice
Prep: 20 minutes Cook: 1 hour for rice, 30 minutes for vegetables
- 1 cup wild rice
- 3 cups water
- 2 tbsp divided soy sauce (optional)
- 1/4 cup scallion, minced
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/2 pound white mushrooms, sliced
- 8 fresh shiitake mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2-3/4 cup oyster mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 tsp crushed dried sage
- 1/4 tsp poultry seasoning
- freshly ground pepper to taste
Place the rice, water, 1 tablespoon of the soy sauce, and scallion in a saucepan with a tight-fitting lid. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover, and cook over medium heat until the liquid has evaporated and the rice is tender, about an hour. Set aside.
Place the onion and celery in a large pan with about 1/4 cup water. Cook, stirring, for several minutes, until the vegetables soften slightly. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally for another 10 minutes. Add the cooked rice and the remaining soy sauce and other seasonings. Cook over low heat for another 15 minutes.