Squashy Black Beans
Prep: 15 minutes Cook: 20 minutes
- 2 cups winter squash, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2-15 ounce cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tbsp soy sauce (optional)
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp ginger, grated
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
Place the squash in a pan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and cook for about 10 minutes, until tender but not mushy. Drain and set aside.
Meanwhile, place the onion, carrot and celery in a large pot with 1 cup of the water or broth. Cook over medium heat about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the rest of the liquid and the remaining ingredients, mixing well. Stir in the reserved squash. Cook over low heat until heated through, about 5 minutes. Serve hot over rice or potatoes.