Prep: 15 minutes Cook: 30 minutes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups fresh tomato, chopped
- 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1/4-1/2 cup salsa, mild, medium or hot
- 1-2 tbsp chopped green chilies
- 1/2-3/4 cup avocado, chopped
- 3/4 cup broken fat free tortilla chips
Place 1/2 cup of the broth in a medium saucepan. Add onion, bell pepper and tomatoes. Cook, stirring occasionally for 15 minutes over low heat. Add remaining broth, bring to a boil, reduce heat, add beans and corn. Add salsa and green chilies to taste. Cook over low heat for 10 minutes. Add avocado, adjust seasonings if necessary. Cook an additional 5 minutes. Stir in tortilla chips just before serving.
Hint: This may also be made with canned tomatoes when fresh tomatoes are not available or not very desirable ( during the winter months). Use 1 15 ounce can of chopped tomatoes and add tomatoes with the beans and corn.