Squashy Bean Stew
Prep: 30 minutes Cook: 3 hours
From the McDougall Program for Maximum Weight Loss.
- 4 cups water
- 3/4 cup dried pinto beans
- 3/4 cup dried white beans
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 16 ounce can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups winter squash, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
Place the water in a large soup pot. Bring to a boil, cover, and cook over medium heat for 1 1/2 hours. Add the onion, garlic, tomatoes, and seasonings. Cook for another 30 minutes. Add the squash pieces and cook for 45 minutes longer. Add the corn and cook for another 15 minutes. Serve with whole grains.