Country “Chicken” and Pasta Bake
Prep: 20 minutes Cook: 40 minutes
Revised by Jeanne Schumacher – Based on a recipe from Betty Crocker.
- 2 cups uncooked radiatore (nuggets) pasta
- 1/2 bag butler soy curls hydrated in veggie broth or water
- 1 recipe gravy (see below)
- 1 bag frozen broccoli, carrots and cauliflower (or bag of mixed vegetables)
- 1 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 tsp salt (optional)
- 1/4 tsp pepper (or more to taste)
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1/2 cup Ian's Whole Wheat Panko bread crumbs mixed with 1 tsp Herbes de Provence
- 3/4 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight and drained
- 1 medium potato, cooked (skin intact)
- 1 can white beans, thoroughly rinsed
- 1 tbsp yellow or white miso
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 cup vegetable broth or water or a mixture (approx.)
Heat oven to 375F. Cook and drain pasta as directed on package using minimum cook time. In un-greased 2 1/2 quart casserole, mix pasta and remaining ingredients except bread crumbs.
In a covered casserole (line foil with parchment paper) bake 20 minutes. Uncover and stir casserole. In the small bowl, mix bread crumbs and herbs; sprinkle on top. Bake uncovered about 10 minutes or longer or until hot and topping is brown.
Option - Top with fresh uncooked corn.
For the Gravy:
In a blender or food processor, combine the cashews, cooked potato (feel free to leave the skin on), white beans, white miso, white wine vinegar and 1/2 cup vegetable broth until completely smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides as needed. Add some of the water or broth as needed to blend as needed. Consistency should be a thick creamy sauce. This may take a few minutes.
Tip: If using water to rehydrate butter soy curls add poultry seasoning to flavor water.