Pita Bread Pizzas
Prep: 10 minutes Cook: 12 minutes
By Vicki Brett-Gach
Vicki is Starch Solution Certified, a Certified Personal Chef, Forks Over Knives Certified, Certified Vegan Lifestyle Coach and Educator.
- 4 thick whole wheat pita bread squares (6-inches each), or mini rounds
- pasta sauce, pizza sauce, or tomato sauce
- red bell peppers, diced (raw, sauteed, or steamed)
- vidalia onions, diced (raw, sauteed, or steamed)
- zucchini, diced (raw, sauteed, or steamed)
- fresh pineapple
- ribbons of fresh basil
- Italian seasoning (optional)
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- nutritional yeast or red pepper flakes (optional)
Preheat oven (or toaster oven) to 425 or 450 degrees.
Slice pita breads in half, lengthwise or diagonally. Place pita halves onto a baking sheet. Slather with a thick layer of pasta sauce.
Top the sauce generously with all the toppings of your choice. Sprinkle the pizzas with a touch of salt and pepper and/or Italian seasoning. Bake for approximately 10 to 12 minutes, or until the edges begin to turn crispy and golden brown, and the center is hot and bubbling.
Remove from oven, and serve hot. Top with nutritional yeast or red pepper flakes, if desired.