Thick and Creamy Taco Soup
Prep: 5 minutes Cook: 25 minutes
By Caroline Graettinger, PhD
Is this a soup, a stew, or a chowder? It's thick and creamy for sure, and with hearty, stick-to-your ribs flavor.
- 12 ounce package frozen blend of corn, black beans, chopped onions, & chopped peppers (southwest blend)
- 15 ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup fat-free refried beans
- 15 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1-2 tsp taco seasoning (adjust to your taste)
- 6 cups water
- 16 ounce package whole wheat orzo pasta
Dry saute the onion-pepper blend in a soup pot over medium heat until tender, about 3-5 minutes. If needed, add a tablespoon or two of water to prevent sticking.
Stir in the rest of the ingredients, cover, and cook until the pasta is just tender, about 10-15 minutes. Salt to taste.